Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD: The New Days!; Corday Interview, 6 characters leave and 5 or 6 return
Topic Started: Jun 2 2011, 12:41 PM (35,053 Views)
Ellie

Posted Image

SOD: What prompted you to make [the writing] change?

KC: Everyone points fingers at the head writer - especially in this case - because DAYS seems to have been off track for a while, I would say. But I'm the one who has to raise my hand and say, "Full responsibility." I'm the boss, I'm the one who hires the head writer and producers. So I decided to make a change, to employ two new head writers to "reset" the show. Most importantly, I couldn't turn a deaf ear to what a plethora of our viewers were saying in email, on the blogs and websites, and what I was seeing in the ratings. That said, the change was not arbitrary. I had thought about this for a long time. Dena and I go way back. I am not going to say anything bad about her. She did some amazing things on the show. I was always her staunchest ally, but when I came to this decision, it had to be done pretty swiftly, so it was done swiftly.

SOD: When will we start seeing the reset on screen?

KC: Unfortunately, because we're so far ahead, these changes won't air until mid-August. But the reason I did it now is because we're approaching a time in September when we have a lot of things potentially to work in our favor. First of all, traditionally, viewership goes up in September when life gets back to normal and kids go back to school. Second, AMC is going off the air in September and there's an additional audience to be garnered from those who still want to watch a soap.

SOD: Why these two writers?

KC: They're the right writers to make these changes. MMP and DRT both know the show; Darrell interned on the show way back when and Marlene wrote for [former Head Writer] Gene Palumbo and JER, and then they both went and co-head wrote Passions for Jim. These writers know the history of the show and we seemed to be very much in sync about what the show needed and what the show didn't have and what the show had too much of that needed to be cut out, including characters.

SOD: Should viewers be concerned the show will be more PASSIONS-like?

KC: No. They were writing Jim's show, they weren't writing their show. I almost hate to use this expression, but we're going back to the "golden days" of DAYS OF OUR LIVES and at the same time, moving forward. It's not going to be a lot of retro, "Oh, remember this," "flashback that." It's going to be very forward moving and very fast moving. That's why the reset will take place in a short amount of time - four weeks.

SOD: How did the cancellations of AMC and OLTL affect your decision?

KC: Well, as of January, there will be four soaps left on the air. A lot of eyes will be watching to see if they're able to survive. Will GH get another year? Is ABC going to get away from all of their soaps? Knowing those viewers on ABC will have a loss of two hours of soap, I said to the staff, "Here's your chance to pick up some viewers who haven't watched the show, but we need to give them something to watch." We need to make it a more positive, romantic, intriguing show, driven by the power of heroic love as opposed to the power of revenge, drug addiction and prostitution. It needed to be pulled out of the darkness and into the light. I would have done it sooner, but we've taped into mid-August and those were the first shows the new writers were able to address and start rewriting. The viewers will see, between mid-August and mid-September, a major reset in the characters on the show, who's getting the airtime, who isn't. Who's coming, who's going.

SOD: Who would you like to see get more airtime?

KC: I would like to see Bo and Hope get more story. I would like to see the Hortons and the Bradys have more story and pull back from an obvious imbalance of the bad guys getting their way and the good guys not. In the last year or so, except for Maggie, Jennifer and Hope, there really hasn't been a strong Horton presence or Brady presence. I want to see more story for Jennifer. She's in a good story with Daniel now, but a happy couple can be boring, so there needs to be a third party in that story. I feel that there have been a lot of characters on the show - new faces - who have been getting an inordinate amount of airtime, and the characters who the fans are familiar with and probably tune in to see more than any others have not been getting enough airtime. Its been disproportionate. So that is the first thing that has to be fixed. The fact that Roman did 9 shows in the period of about 4 months is wrong. The fact that Abe and Lexie don't have any story is somewhat embarrassing. Those are the tips of the iceberg. You will see, in the course of a month, in the neighborhood of six characters leaving Salem and five or six characters return or come to Salem, leading to a huge September.

SOD: Can you be more specific?

KC: It's too soon, but you will see the return of very popular characters from the past. I can't say more than that. It's the exit of quite a few characters who haven't panned out, for lack of a better term.

SOD: What other problems did you see on the show?

KC: There's also an absence of romance. Who are we rooting for? Clear rooting interests need to be redefined. To do that, you need to recenter the show on characters who have been extremely popular for a long time.

SOD: Were any stories changed? Will you still tell the gay story with Will?

KC: We didn't have to re-shoot anything, but we had to re-write three weeks of shows yet to air and chart a new course. We are telling a story dealing with the first gay character on the show and that had to have another look and the take on that had to be changed. It will be written much more slowly and carefully. It's a story about one of our characters coming to grips with who he is.

SOD: Are you excited by what you've seen from MMP and DRT so far?

KC: I'm thrilled. I'm more excited by what I know is coming in story and who will be there to deliver that story. The fans will be thrilled too. The formula we're going to go back to had worked in the past. The formula that we're currently using is not working. When the show drops in ratings from a 1.3 to a .9 or 1.0, you lose 30 or so percent of your audience in the course of 3 or 4 weeks, the audience is telling you something and I couldn't ignore it anymore. I'm hoping we're able to improve in ratings to a place where we were a year ago or a year and a half ago, as opposed to turning up our hands and saying, "All of daytime is going off the air." It's just not in my mindset.

SOD: Do you think you can get viewers back?

KC: I would certainly hope so, especially with the promo push we'll be doing to let viewers and lapsed viewers know that they have to come back and take a look at the show. It won't be the show that has been airing for the last year or so. Totally, very different. So if you watch it in August and turn it on again in mid-September, you're going to see a very different DAYS OF OUR LIVES, much to the better.

SOD: Are you hopeful about the future of Days?

KC: Yes, much more so now than I've been in awhile. The show had to be much more competitive. It had to come of age visually, as well as in story. We'll be opening up the look off the show, as well. This is not a time where I'm going to be penny wise and pound foolish. I'm going to throw everything but the kitchen sink on screen, but it's not going to be spread among 30 cast members. It's going to be centered on 15, and 15 who are loved and are dear to the audience.

SOD: What do you say to the fans who have stuck by you?

KC: I say, first of all, thank you, thank you, thank you. Hang with us through the summer, please, and wait to see what happens in September. Exciting, good time are coming. Stories about adventure, intrigue and romance. I want them to know that as the custodian of the show that my mother and father started 45 years ago, I have a responsibility to the viewers, first and foremost. And I listen to what they say and I will be the first to raise my hand and say, "My fault, I let this go too long." But it will be fixed very quickly.

Edit: I was just looking at the article again in SOD, and I see that there was a quote I missed next to a picture. The picture is of James Scott, and there is a quote that wasn't included in the article. "He is one of the leading men on the show and he is the leading villain on the show," notes Corday of James Scott's EJ. (The other pictures all have quotes or statements that are mentioned in the article.)

Offline Profile Goto Top

SlyestFox
Member Avatar

I mean, if this can be believed, obviously this is great. I agree with all his statements and although I personally do not want John and Marlena back, if they feel they need to do that, then so be it. From his comments about newbies who aren't quite working, I really think Taylor will be one of the departures. On the other hand, I now think Daniel won't be. Eventually maybe, but not just yet since I think they'll play the Jack/Jennifer/Daniel triangle out.
Edited by SlyestFox, Jun 2 2011, 12:49 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

As much as I hate Corday - GOOD INTERVIEW..it SOUNDS like he JUST MIGHT GET IT!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm scared to say it, but Ken is saying all the right things. However, as the saying goes - "Once bitten, twice shy."
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

DAYS will no longer be about the bad guys winning all the time?! HALLELUJAH!
Edited by Aliaron, Jun 2 2011, 12:51 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

What I take from this interview:

-Unpopular characters hogging up screentime - this will be fixed (Melanie/Dario/Daniel/Rafe are OUT or being SEVERELY reduced in airtime IMO)
-He is NOT a fan of Jennifer/Daniel and wants that story to be over right away (cue Ashford's return)
-Less stories about revenge (Goodbye Vivian :( :( :( :( and maybe Kate too)
-John and Marlena are coming back (I just feel this is what he is getting at!)
-Newbies not quite working (ie they are out - Taylor/Dario/Gabi/Quinn)
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Jun 2 2011, 12:51 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

He says all the right things, but IDK if he's actually going to set it in motion or if he's just parroting what the fans want to hear.

I just hope the "people who haven't panned out" thing doesn't include Stefano/EJ. The Dimeras are every bit as much a part of Days as the Bradys are. The thing I'm most hopeful about is the part about resetting things. I'm looking forward to seeing how they throw out the stories that aren't working.
Edited by six, Jun 2 2011, 12:53 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

glenda

Ellie
Jun 2 2011, 12:41 PM
SOD: What prompted you to make [the writing] change?

KC: Everyone points fingers at the head writer - especially in this case - because DAYS seems to have been off track for a while, I would say. but I'm the one who has to raise my hand and say, "Full responsibility". I'm the boss, I'm the one who hires the head writer and producers. So I decided to make a change, to employ two new head writers to "reset" the show. Most importantly, I couldn't turn a deaf ear to what a plethora of our viewers were saying in email, on the blogs and websites, and what I was seeing in the ratings. That said, the change was not arbitrary. I had thought about this for along time. Dena and I go way back. I am not going to say anything bad about her. She did some amazing things on the show. I was always her staunchest ally, but when I came to this decision, it had to be done pretty swiftly, so it was done swiftly.

SOD: When will we start seeing the reset on screen?

KC: Unfortunately, because we're so far ahead, these changes won't air until mid-August. But the reason I did it now is because we're approaching a time in September when we have a lot of things potentially to work in our favor. First of all, traditionally, viewership goes up in September when life gets back to normal and kids go back to school. Second, AMC is going off the air in September and there' an additional audience to be garnered from those who still want to watch a soap.

SOD: Why these two writers?

KC: They're the right writers to make these changes. MMP and DRT both know the show; Darrell interned on the show way back when and Marlene wrote for [former Head Writer] Gene Palumbo and JER, and then they both went and co head wrote Passions for Jim. These writers know the history of the show and we seemed to be very much in sync about what the show needed and what the show didn't have and what the show had too much of that needed to be cut out, including characters.

SOD: Should viewers be concerned the show will be more PASSIONS-like?

KC: No. They were writing Jim's show, they weren't writing their show. I almost hate to use this expression, but we're going back to the "golden days" of DAYS OF OUR LIVES and at the same time, moving forward. It's not going to be a lot of retro, "Oh, remember this," "flashback that". It's going to be very forward moving and very fast moving. That's why the reset will take place in a short amount of time - four weeks.

SOD: How did the cancellations of AMC and OLTL affect your decision?

KC: Well, as of January, there will be four soaps left on the air. A lot of eyes will be watching to see if they're able to survive. Will GH get another year? Is ABC going to get away from all of their soaps? Knowing those viewers on abc will have a loss of two hours of soap, I said to the staff, "Here's your chance to pick up some viewers who haven't watched the show, but we need to give them something to watch. ' We need to make it a more positive, romantic, intriguing show, driven by the power of heroic love as opposed to the power of revenge, drug addiction and prostitution. It needed to be pulled out of the darkness and into the light. I would have done it sooner, but we've taped into mid august and those were the first shows the new writers were able to address and start rewriting. The viewers will see, between Mid August and Mid Sept, a major reset in the characters on the show, who's getting the airtime, who isn't. Who's coming, who's going.

SOD: Who would you like to see get more airtime?

KC: I would like to see Bo and Hope get more story. I would like to see the Hortons and the Bradys have more story and pull back form an obvious imbalance of the bad guys getting their way and the good guys not. In the last year or so, except for Maggie, Jennifer and Hope, there really hasn't been a strong Horton presence or Brady presence. I want to see more story for Jennifer. She's in a good story with Daniel now, but a happy couple can be boring, so there needs to be a third party in that story. I feel that there have been a lot of characters on the show - new faces- who have been getting an inordinate amount of airtime, and the characters who the fans are familiar with and probably tune in to see more than any others have not been getting enough airtime. Its been disproportionate. So that is the first thing that has to be fixed. The fact that Roman did 9 shows in the period of about 4 months is wrong. The fact that Abe and Lexie don't have any story is somewhat embarrassing. Those are the tips of the iceberg. You will see, in the course of a month, in the neighborhood of six characters leaving Salem and five or six characters return or come to Salem, leading to a huge September.

SOD: Can you be more specific?

KC: It's too soon, but you will see the return of very popular characters from the past. I can't say more than that. It's the exit of quite a few characters who haven't panned out, for lack of a better term.

SOD: What other problems did you see on the show?

KC: There's also an absence of romance. Who are we rooting for? Clear rooting interests need to be redefined. To do that, you need to recenter the show on characters who have been extremely popular for a long time.

SOD: Were any stories changed? Will you still tell the gay story with Will?

KC: We didn't have to reshoot anything, but we had to rewrite three weeks of shows yet to air and chart a new course. We are telling a story dealing with the first gay character on the show and that had to have another look and the take on that had to be changed. It will be written much more slowly and carefully. It's a story about one of our characters coming to grips with who he is.

SOD: Are you excited by what you've seen from the MMP and DRT so far?

KC: I'm thrilled. I'm more excited by what I know is coming in story and who will be there to deliver that story. The ;fans will be thrilled too. The formula we're going to go back to had worked in the past. The formula that we're currently using is not working. When the show drops in ratings from a 1.3 to a .9 or 1.0, you lose 30 or so percent of your audience in the course of 3 or 4 weeks, the audience is telling you something and I couldn't ignore it anymore. I'm hoping we're able to improve in ratings to a place where we were a year ago or a year and a half ago, as opposed to turning up our hands and saying, "All of daytime is going off the air." It's just not in my mindset.

SOD: Do you think you can get viewers back?

KC: I would certainly hope so, especially with the promo push we'll be doing to let viewers and lapsed viewers know that they have to come back and take a look at the show. It won't be the show that has been airing for the last year or so,. Totally, very different. So if you watch it in August and turn it on again in mid-September, you're going to see a very different DAYS OF OUR LIVES, much to the better.

KC: Yes, much more so now than I've been in awhile. The show had to be much more competitive. It had to come of age visually, as well as in story. We'll be opening up the look off the show, as well. This is not a time where I'm going to be penny wise and pound foolish. I'm going to throw everything but the kitchen sink on screen, but it's not going to be spread among 30 cast members. It's going to be centered on 15, and 15 who are loved and are dear to the audience.

KC: I say, first of all, thank you, thank you, thank you Hang with us through the summer, please, and wait to see what happens in September. Exciting, good time are coming. Stories about adventure, intrigue and romance. I want them to know that as the custodian of the show that my mother and father started 45 years ago, I have a responsibility to the viewers, first and foremost. And I listen to what they say and I will be the first to raise my hand and say, "My fault, I let this go too long." But it will be fixed very quickly.
I hope for once KC is true to his word..
Days needs a complete overhall starting with the removal of the whole Hernandez crew.
The day Rafe leaves is the Day I'll return.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sariah
Member Avatar

TFP!

Quote:

The fact that Roman did 9 shows in the period of about 4 months is wrong.

This was probably one of his few missteps in the article. No, it isn't wrong. It's REFRESHING to not have Rotox on regularly.

It all sounds well and good, but KC has burned me too many times in the past. I simply don't believe him any longer. He's the boy who cried ratings.

Online Profile Goto Top

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I know I'm an idiot, but I am actually hopeful
Offline Profile Goto Top

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

The article sounds good (aside from "heroic love" because we already have that garbage on screen) and it seems like Kenny boy has been paying attention to what everyone has been saying. That said, I won't buy it until I see it with my own eyes. Kenny has said too much crap in the past for me to take him at his word. He's going to have to put his money where is mouth is.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ana75
Member Avatar

That was a great interview!!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Marlene

Ellie
Jun 2 2011, 12:41 PM

KC: I say, first of all, thank you, thank you, thank you Hang with us through the summer, please, and wait to see what happens in September. Exciting, good time are coming. Stories about adventure, intrigue and romance. I want them to know that as the custodian of the show that my mother and father started 45 years ago, I have a responsibility to the viewers, first and foremost. And I listen to what they say and I will be the first to raise my hand and say, "My fault, I let this go too long." But it will be fixed very quickly.
This is the part of the interview that has me the most hopeful. :pray:
Offline Profile Goto Top

JoeBucs32

Thanks for posting! You ARE a fast typer!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Oh my gosh! I can truly hope he means all he says this time around. Damn straight, Ken!

I do love that he talks about the bad guys getting away with everything! No shit! Love that he took responsiblity for the shit we are seeing.
Hopefully we have a new game in the fall! I hope I can hang on til the fall!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

The Hernandez crew need to be tossed out on their ass....worst mistake DAYS has made in a long time is building that DO NOTHING family up...and casting them with shitty actors!

Solid points from the interview:

-Mentioned he specifically wants BOPE to be front and centre
-Wants Jennifer to be front and centre (this is good for J&J fans!!!)
-Wants Hortons/Bradys to run story
-MORE ROMANCE!
-Wants a story for Abe and Lexie!! (WOO HOO!!)
-Fan Favourites will be returning
-Unpopular characters hogging up screen time are OUT!
-Intrique/Family/Romance will lead stories, not doom and gloom stories about weak women and agressive men.

He may for ONCE in his career be LISTENING to the fans...FINALLY!

PLEASE bring KRISTEN BACK!
Offline Profile Goto Top

james0479
Member Avatar

Color me shocked as I say this: Color me excited. This is probably the best interview KC has ever given. He sounds super real here and he never sounds that way to me. He even basically says he couldn't ignore the outpouring of restlessness from the viewers and I'm glad that got a mention. He seems very aware that the show hasn't truly worked in years and I love how he said he "let it go on too long"! Also, I'm thrilled about the gay story and taking time with it. Goes to show that Dena wasn't penning it the right way. I found it interesting about focusing on 15 main characters rather than 30. I'd be shaking in my boots if I were certain people on canvas right now. I hope they make the rightdecisions. I'm afraid for my beloved LS. Anyway, thanks for posting. Very interesting read and it really has my head spinning!
Offline Profile Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

Thanks so much Ellie. You rock.

Yeah, I think Taylor is def a goner after reading this article. And I assume Daniel is safe considering Corday's propping him and Jennifer.

Kudos for Corday admitting his fault but yet he always screws up the show. So I'm not buying it yet.

I will always be a fan boi and I'll be excited for August but I'm sure I'll eat my words after a few months.
Online Profile Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Quote:

Dena and I go way back. I am not going to say anything bad about her. She did some amazing things on the show. I was always her staunchest ally, but when I came to this decision, it had to be done pretty swiftly, so it was done swiftly.

I still don't understand what he sees in Dena.

Quote:

Unfortunately, because we're so far ahead, these changes won't air until mid-August. But the reason I did it now is because we're approaching a time in September when we have a lot of things potentially to work in our favor. First of all, traditionally, viewership goes up in September when life gets back to normal and kids go back to school. Second, AMC is going off the air in September and there' an additional audience to be garnered from those who still want to watch a soap.

OMG, Ken Corday and PhoenixRising05 is the same person :biggrin:

Quote:

The fact that Roman did 9 shows in the period of about 4 months is wrong. The fact that Abe and Lexie don't have any story is somewhat embarrassing. Those are the tips of the iceberg.

I'm glad he said that.

Quote:

The ;fans will be thrilled too. The formula we're going to go back to had worked in the past. The formula that we're currently using is not working.

Some of us have been saying that since 2008.

Quote:

When the show drops in ratings from a 1.3 to a .9 or 1.0, you lose 30 or so percent of your audience in the course of 3 or 4 weeks, the audience is telling you something and I couldn't ignore it anymore.

Why were you ignoring it in the first place?
Online Profile Goto Top

LovingDays

keep nicole,ej,chloe,quinn, but you can fire everyone else loll
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic