Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Glee Casting News: Chord Overstreet Out!; Darren Criss and Harry Shum Upgraded
Topic Started: Jul 1 2011, 09:14 PM (404 Views)
Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!
BY MICHAEL AUSIELLO AND NELLIE ANDREEVA

Posted Image
It’s a case of good news/bad news for Glee fans.

First the good: Darren Criss (Blaine) and Harry Shum Jr. (Mike) have officially been upgraded to full-time series regulars, effective this fall with the start of Season 3.

And now for the not so good news…

Chord Overstreet’s series regular option has not been picked up. However, a source close to the show says the actor — who joined the Fox hit last fall in the recurring role of McKinley transfer student Sam Evans — could return as an occasional guest star.
Late Friday, Overstreet issued a cryptic tweet saying, “It’s been a good year. Too bad it’s over. Time for summer and starting fresh.”

The news comes two weeks after series creator Ryan Murphy raised eyebrows when he told Ryan Seacrest that most of the show’s primary characters would graduate by the end of next season. “The show to me is about the way you express yourself as you start to move out into the world as a fresh, young person,” he later clarified to TVLine. “Do we really want to have an eight-year [high school] senior? The only way somebody could stay on the show is if they flunk, and that is always a possibility. I think Brittany is pulling straight Fs.”

Thoughts? Bummed about Chord? Psyched about Harry/Darren?

SOURCE
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

Supposedly Sam was to be a next generation character that would stay when the others graduated. Guess that wasn't to be for Chord. Darren was not surprising.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Ashley Fink better be upped to a series regular!

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

I like the actor, but it never felt like they really knew what do with the character. He was always playing second/third to other characters.

ITA about Ashley. Lauren was one of the best parts of last season.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Quote:

ITA about Ashley. Lauren was one of the best parts of last season.
Yeah, she really was. It would be stupid not to put her on contract.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Quote:

Additionally, another new member of New Directions, Ashley Fink, who was a recurring guest star this past season despite appearing in almost every episode, will remain a guest star and her presence may be scaled back. The news comes as the cast of Glee is wrapping their concert tour.
:frustration: http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/glee-shake-up-darren-criss-and-harry-shum-jr-in-chord-overstreet-out/

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

As this is the final year with most of the cast, I don't mind them dropping Sam and scaling back on Lauren. I am glad Ryan is going to focus on Mercedes, Tina, Sue and Mike.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I find it funny Chord was dropped after Ryan Murphy went on and on in interviews how Sam was the future and how it proved you can introduce new characters, blah blah blah and then he drops him.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Really not surprised about Chord not being given a contract. The character didn't work they way they hoped and once Darren came on, Chord was pushed even farther back. I really don't think they expected Blaine to be as popular as he was. I mean that whole "tie" at sectionals was to keep the Warblers on longer.

Now there are reports that Chord if he wants can still be there are recurring. I am sure it is like soaps where recurring is per appearance and for his character might be cheaper. Where as for both Darren/Harry their characters are a lot more involved and might be cheaper to have them on contract. I am sure they paid a ton to have Darren on as much as they did with all his songs. Probably cheaper production costs to have him on contract. Will not be surprised he ends up transferring to McKinley.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply