Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pam St Clement quits EastEnders; NOOOOOO! Not Fat Pat!
Topic Started: Jul 7 2011, 08:47 PM (983 Views)
Drew
Member Avatar

Pam St Clement quits 'EastEnders': 'It's time to hang up Pat's earrings'

Friday, July 8 2011, 00:01 BST
By Ryan Love, Entertainment Reporter

Pam St Clement will leave EastEnders later this year, the BBC soap has announced.

The much-loved actress will depart her role as Pat Evans after 25 years in the BBC soap. Details of how St Clement, who is currently the second longest-serving castmember after Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beale), will bow out are not yet known.

"I have enjoyed 25 and a half wonderful years in EastEnders creating the character of Pat but feel it's time to hang up her earrings," the 69-year-old said. "Leaving the EastEnders 'family' will be akin to a bereavement, but I'm looking forward to the other work. and life opportunities that I will have the time to pursue."

Bryan Kirkwood, EastEnders executive producer, commented: "In Pat Harris-Beale-Wicks-Butcher-Evans, Pam St Clement has created one of the most iconic and loved characters in British TV history.

"Over the years we've seen her develop from a shrew into a matriarch, and Pat's colour, warmth and steel have given EastEnders some of its most memorable stories. Pam will be missed by everyone in Walford, and we wish her the very best of luck in everything that comes next."

Kirkwood added: "Although it's too early to talk about how Pat will leave the Square, we can assure viewers it will culminate in a fitting storyline, not to be missed."

Since arriving in E20 in the summer of 1986, Pat's storylines have included the paternity of her son Simon, her turn to prostitution, surviving the Walford attacker in 1987, the death of a teenage girl she knocked down, her ongoing battle against step-daughter Janine and the affair with Patrick Trueman.

However, Pat - famed for her large earrings - will be best remembered for her romance, marriage and affair with car dealer Frank Butcher, played by the late Mike Reid.

"It's always a sad day when one of our stars leaves EastEnders but when those stars are as important as Pam St Clement and the character as iconic as Pat 'Butcher', the blow is doubly hard," John Yorke, controller of BBC Drama production and new talent added.

"As part of EastEnders' 'creation myth', she has been integral to the programme's success from the very beginning; her love of Frank, her 'take no prisoners' nature and her earrings have made her a part of British culture."

Yorke concluded: "For most actors that would be legacy enough. The fact that Pam is also a total professional, an endless champion of the programme and a joy to work with is an added bonus."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a328832/pam-st-clement-quits-eastenders-its-time-to-hang-up-pats-earrings.html
Edited by Drew, Jul 7 2011, 08:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

Boo!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

This really bites!

Drew
Member Avatar

This is the worst! Worse than losing Bradley and Stacey, worse than losing Peggy.

They really need to find a way to bring back a legacy character to take her place. Pauline, Peggy, Pat, Ethel -- they're really starting to lose their identity. Next thing we'll be losing Mo. Why oh why did they have to kill off Cathy so stupidly!?

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

First, yes this will be a horrible, horrible blow. Though fears are rampant like Drew's, I fear most for what this means for Janine?

Second, Drew it's Kathy with a K. Get it right guy!

Third, Mo isn't anything special. I'd love it if she left!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

Peggy needs to stay gone. Barbara Windsor is so OTT and not in a good way.

Drew
Member Avatar

What?! Mo's awesome, and criminally under-used!

The only positive that could possibly come from this is some freed up cash to bring back Letitia Dean. Sharon vs Kat for the Vic ... it could be epic.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

What? She's been there pretty much since the beginning. This sucks.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

I don't watch current EE episodes. I love the classic ones. PSC as Pat has always been a highlight of the show for me. She has that tough exterior that hides the soft, motherly side that has comforted many of Walford's citizens. She tried so hard to love and care for Barry. She did love Natalie and poor Laura. The summer that Peggy, Frank, Pat and Roy went to Spain were some really great episodes and Pat showed us that even character who were not youngsters could have hot affairs.

I will miss Pat but I know I only have to put one of my discs in the player to see her come to life again.

Sniff.

Btw, I love Mo too. Too bad that Charlie is no longer around, nor most of the Slaters. They were a great family. I always found it very interesting that the actress who plays Mo(Laila Morse) is Gary Oldman's sister.

miou07
Member Avatar

Aw, I love Pat and her big earrings! I'm going to miss her.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

This is really going to leave a void! And don't go dissing my Mo! I love her and hope her role is expanded a bit along with Dot's! This sucks for Janine ,Ricky AND Bianca! I like the idea of Sharon Watts coming "home"!

Sadie125

So disappointed that Pat is leaving...

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

This really bites! And on a completely random, unrelated note: I MISS VANESSA!!!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · British Soap Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply