Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DALLAS picked up by TNT!; 10 episodes to air summer 2012
Topic Started: Jul 8 2011, 11:41 AM (3,850 Views)
Riley Grey
Member Avatar

I'm really looking forward to the new Dallas. I hope it is able to capture some of that great dramatic character development that the original was known for.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Finally we have a date for the premiere: June 13.

http://www.tvline.com/2012/03/tnt-summer-premiere-dates-falling-skies-dallas-closer/

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Mason
Mar 15 2012, 09:26 AM
:dance: DOING MY HAPPY DANCE :dance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/dallas-tnt-reboot-premiere-date_n_1347745.html
Edited by lightandday, Mar 15 2012, 04:10 PM.

AuroraPhoenix
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 15 2012, 09:26 AM
Finally we have a date for the premiere: June 13.
Thank you for the update, Mason, and thank you L&D for the HuffPo article. :)

I am so psyched about this, and to top it off, it's right near my birthday...a belated birthday treat. Can't wait. :cheer: :dance:

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Posted Image
Edited by Casey, Mar 28 2012, 06:45 PM.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Some new promotional pictures for the series:

Posted Image

Posted Image

hawk_osu
Member Avatar

These are better - why have they not done the iconic family portrait in front of Southfork yet?

Mason

hawk_osu
Mar 31 2012, 11:35 AM
These are better - why have they not done the iconic family portrait in front of Southfork yet?
They have.

Posted Image

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Episode Titles & Short Synopsis:

Spoiler: click to toggle

hawk_osu
Member Avatar

Mason
Mar 31 2012, 11:44 AM
hawk_osu
Mar 31 2012, 11:35 AM
They have.

Posted Image
Yeah - I consider that picture a play on this original picture - Posted Image

I want them to do a picture like this - especially considering that everyone is married/divorced from one another in the new promo picture.
Posted Image

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Casey
Apr 2 2012, 06:53 PM
Episode Titles & Short Synopsis:

Spoiler: click to toggle
HELL YEAH! :yahoo: Thanks for the Spoil Casey.

Posted Image

DayDreamer
Member Avatar
Fan of EJ+ABBY!

Dallas.. will this be a daily show or weekly?

KMan101
Member Avatar

Weekly. I believe the first season is 10 episodes.

tylerbo20

10 episodes? what happend to the golden days when you got like 30

Alin89
Member Avatar

those days r long gone tylerbo. it would be very rare.

KMan101
Member Avatar

And also the show is on cable and cable shows have shorter seasons. Plus back in the day networks had less programming so im sure thats how shows had 30 episode seasons or if it was a monster hit.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

A lot of the cable shows will do 10 episodes for the first season. Then if the show gets picked up they will have between 12-15 episodes for the second season.

I am looking forward to seeing Dallas this summer.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

"Dallas" Creator David Jacobs Says He's Been Excluded from TNT Reboot
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerfriedman/2012/04/25/dallas-creator-david-jacobs-says-hes-been-excluded-from-tnt-reboot/

EXCLUSIVE: David Jacobs, creator of “Dallas” and “ Knots Landing,” tells me he’s been excluded entirely from the coming reboot of the famous series on TNT. He will get to keep his “created by” credit, but nothing else, no money, and no participation. “I’ll get the $714 Writers Guild fee for a sequel,” Jacobs says. Jacobs tells me found out that “Dallas” was being restarted second hand. When he inquired about it, he says he told everyone — including new head writer Cynthia Cidre–that he was essentially retired and didn’t want to write the show. “I didn’t want any authority,” he told her at their one lunch. But he did think a consultancy wouldn’t be out of the question since basically, “Dallas” relies on all the characters he created in the 1970s–JR Ewing, Bobby Ewing, Sue Ellen, and their family, even the same Southfork Ranch set.

“All I said was that I’d like to be a presence. I told her if you need anything on the back story, I’m there. I never heard anything from her again until I heard TNT ordered a pilot.” Jacobs was involved with the failed John Travolta movie version, because the movie and TV rights had been separated in his original contract. “In the early 2000s, we took the movie to Warner Bros. They passed, and then New Regency bought the movie rights. But they didn’t make the movie.”

When Jacobs finally read Cidre’s script, he thought it wasn’t bad. “I said it wasn’t audacious enough. I made some notes.” But Jacob says after he submitted them to the network he was told they wouldn’t show them to Cidre. Why not? “I was told there were too many cooks. I was going to make a t shirt up that said, Too many cooks, get rid of the with the recipe.”

This year, when the producers put in for credits, they asked for “Developed by Cynthia Cidre, based on “Dallas” created by David Jacobs.” But the Writers Guild denied that, and ruled that the only credit was “Created by David Jacobs.” It was his show, still, at least at the Writers Guild.

Once the WGA ruled for him, the production extended a tiny olive branch–but with a proviso. “They offered me some money and a consultancy, but made it clear they didn’t care whether I didn’t do any consulting. But they asked me to waive all my rights.” He refused, so negotiations came to an end. “I asked to see Cynthia, and I asked her to meet me for a drink or lunch. And she said no. She refused me three times. I wrote a memo to her and said, I don’t want any authority.” Their lawyer told my lawyer I was too aggressive.”

After Jacobs created “Dallas,” he went on to run “Family,” an Emmy winning ABC drama of the 70s. But he always kept in touch with (the now deceased) Leonard Katzman, who ran “Dallas” for years. “I was around, that’s all I wanted, to be around.” For the record, he told Katzman that the famous Bobby Ewing shower scene–when Pam’s dream wiped out an entire awful season– was a “dumb idea.”

Jacobs says now the producers have cut him out completely. “I will not waive my rights. The material isn’t bad. But I read the scripts and found they were very plot driven. I thought she was going to have trouble down the road. The original “Dallas” and “Knots Landing” ran five years too long because the audience was so engaged with the characters. You didn’t need to come up with constant plot points. The scripts are good. But they should have been Bobby’s kid the bad one, and JR’s kld the good one. Bobby has a new wife, and she’s from Houston. She should have been from main line Philadelphia, or Boston or New York. Or very rich. But I never had the opportunity to express any of this.”

The revived “Dallas” launches on TNT on June 13th with a two hour premiere.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Wow. Sounds like things are even ugly off Southfork.

Mason

I agree with him that John Ross should have been good and Christopher bad. The way they're doing it is expected, and it would have been created more interesting dynamics the other way. Anyway, I'm not surprised he's being shut out. Some of the things I've learned about the new series have me less excited for it than I was earlier on.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply