Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Horror Story: Discussion; Ryan Murphy's new psycho-sexual thriller
Topic Started: Aug 25 2011, 03:01 AM (10,518 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

FX’s upcoming horror drama American Horror Story will not play out like The Killing.

The series from Glee co-creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk revolves around Ben and Vivien Harmon (Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton) who move from Boston to a creepy haunted Los Angeles mansion after an affair and miscarriage. Described by Murphy as a “psycho-sexual thriller,” the series serves as a metaphor for marriage and will set up a number of mysteries in the 90-minute premiere.

“As a pilot, it has eight cliffhangers in it,” Murphy said Saturday while promoting the show at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills, noting that the series has an “obligation” to explain the mysteries of the series to the audience. “By the third episode, all of those big mysteries are settled and I think the audience can just be along for the ride.”

The pilot, screened this week for critics at TCA, includes a mysterious creature with fangs and sharp claws that attacks a girl in the basement of the Victorian-era home in which the Harmons now reside, a creepy guy in a full-body rubber suit and characters including Denis O’Hare’s Larry the Burn Guy, a pseudo reformed killer who used to live at the estate.

Further deepening the mystery, Jessica Lange’s nosy neighbor Constance has an as-yet-unexplained back story with Moira, the housekeeper who comes with the house who appears as either a young sexual woman (Alexandra Breckenridge) or an older, dutiful woman (Frances Conroy) to various residents.

American Horror Story premieres Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 10 p.m. on FX.

Quote:

"very, very over-the-top, but wildly entertaining." - NPR

Quote:

There is so much going on in the first supersized episode that I wouldn't list it all even if there weren't spoiler problems. Suffice it to say it's got everything from a creepy neighbor (a fantastically wackadoodle Jessica Lange floating in and out) to a creepy maid (Frances Conroy) to creepy things in jars. Jars, I tell you! - Linda Holmes

Quote:

A housekeeper appears unbidden one day to say she’ll begin work at Big Scary House, as she has for previous (dead) owners. She’s played by Six Feet Under‘s Francis Conroy… most of the time. You see, when Vivien looks at the housekeeper, she sees nice, wrinkly Frances Conroy. When Ben looks at the housekeeper, he sees a hubba-hubba young woman in a sexy version of a maid’s uniform, snapping her garters at him and pushing her black bra up for his approval.

Quote:

"I can say with certainty that Ryan and Falchuk have upped the stakes (not a pun — blessedly, there’s not a vampire or a werewolf in sight) for TV horror. Unlike most scary TV shows (and movies), which rely upon the rhythm of a few quiet scenes followed by a boo! fright every 20 minutes or so, AHS is pretty much all-scare, all the time. - Entertainment Weekly
Edited by Rick, Aug 25 2011, 03:10 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Ugh, Ryan Murphy. Well, this show will turn to shit sooner than later.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Murphy always does a good first season (Nip/Tuck, Glee) so I have hope.

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

^LOL

I'm excited for it but I've heard pros/cons. Some say it's great and others say it's rather convoluted. I think only the pilot has been screened though.

King
Member Avatar

I loved Popular. I hate Glee. I loved the first few season of N/T. Hated the last few. So, I'm torn.

I am very excited for this show though. Very James E. Reilly esque.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

King
Aug 25 2011, 07:18 PM
I loved Popular. I hate Glee. I loved the first few season of N/T. Hated the last few. So, I'm torn.

I am very excited for this show though. Very James E. Reilly esque.
A few of the clues

Edited by Rick, Aug 25 2011, 08:08 PM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

It's so true! Murphy DOES do a GREAT first season of his shows but then it turns to shit. He reminds me of David E. Kelley. Always starts off really banging, but then gets bored, messes around with the cast, axes people, adds new people and goes very off-track (you can throw Marc Cherry into that as well).

I loved Popular in Season 1, but I got bored with it in Season 2. It started off a really promising show. Glee was awesome in Season 1. Season 2 was not great by any means. Had some moments, but overall, it sucked.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Newest Promo

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Dylan McDermott has always been so fucking sexy. Yummy. Such a great cast.

King
Member Avatar

OMG! RICK! That promo is amazing. I love the Exorcist theme in there. OMG. This show is going to be so good.

At first, anyway! Haha.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

What the hell is Jessica Lange's character doing? is that a man or a woman with very small boobs?

Posted Image

This is either going to be fucking amazing or a complete disaster
Edited by Rick, Aug 29 2011, 08:28 PM.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Rick
Aug 29 2011, 08:23 PM
What the hell is Jessica Lange's character doing? It looks like she is on her knees in front of a shirtless guy :ermmmm:

This is either going to be fucking amazing or a complete disaster
I'm pretty sure Michael Graziadei (Daniel Romalotti, Y&R) is playing her lover. :)

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

God, I adore her! I was a late blooming fan. First movie I saw her in was Prozac Nation and instantly fell in love with her.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Rick
Aug 29 2011, 08:32 PM
God, I adore her! I was a late blooming fan. First movie I saw her in was Prozac Nation and instantly fell in love with her.
She is just perfection. For me, I fell in love with her in Losing Isaiah and Hush. I think that's why I've never liked Halle Berry or Gwyneth Paltrow. :lol:

Mason
Member Avatar

I loved it!

I just wish it wasn't a Ryan Murphy show.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Abbismom
Member Avatar

I have been counting down the days for this show and I wasn't disappointed...and to think the nudity was Dylan...yummy!!!! I have high hopes for this one!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Loved it! A complete mindfuck!

My jaw dropped open when Constance told Moira "Don't make me kill you again!" :o I can't wait for episode three when we learn their history

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Zachary Quinto Joins American Horror Story

As first reported by Deadline, Zachary Quinto is playing a gay character this time around—namely, a guy named Chad who is a previous owner of the haunted house now occupied by Britton's character and her onscreen hubby Dylan McDermott.

Quinto will appear in at least four episodes, include a special Halloween arc. He will first appear on Oct. 26 in AHS' regular timeslot and then FX plans to air a special episode, which includes Quinto's character, on Halloween night.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I wasn't planning to watch this but I'm glad I did. I loved it!

I missed the first 10 minutes though. Can anyone tell me what happened?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Spoiler: click to toggle

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply