Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Horror Story: Discussion; Ryan Murphy's new psycho-sexual thriller
Topic Started: Aug 25 2011, 03:01 AM (10,160 Views)
Abbismom
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 6 2011, 01:34 AM
I wasn't planning to watch this but I'm glad I did. I loved it!

I missed the first 10 minutes though. Can anyone tell me what happened?
It started out in 1978 with Jessica Lange's daughter as a young girl standing in front of the house. Two red-headed twins go into the house and she tells them "you're gonna die in there." They basically go around with baseball bats trashing the place and are eventually killed by someone in the basement...we saw the twins briefly at the end and I'm wondering if they're related to the housekeeper somehow? Lots to think about!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

It was pretty good. On a shallow note, i really hate Connie Britton's hair in this.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

Okay, I was just telling my mother in law about this ... I watched last night and I am telling you, I loved it and I hated it. The whole time I was watching all scrunched up in a ball and wanting to change the channel but I couldn't. I was SO disturbed. The rubber man freaked me the fuck out, and I had trouble going to sleep. I had to watch ANTM on dvr afterwards to try and *cleanse* my mind pallet, lol, but it didn't work. I dreamed about it. I woke up thinking about it. I guess that means the creators were successful. I'm sort of on the fence about whether I want to keep watching. Since it freaked me out, I kind of don't want to, but since it is fascinating, I kind of do. So yeah ... lol ...

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I am quite fascinated by this show. Can't wait to see the next episode.

The only major thumbs down for me was Kinsey from DAYS is in it, playing almost the same character type.

Bremol
Member Avatar

I didn't even know about the show; I stumbled upon it flipping through the channels trying to find something to watch.

I like it. It doesn't scare me, I don't scare easily, but the mystery of the characters intrigues me. I can't wait to find out more about Moira. I loved Jessica's character line, "Don't make me kill you again."

The rubber man costume I knew was going to be trouble when they found it in the attic. Now I wanna know who it was wearing it lol.

Some really nice butt shots of DM. Very yummy.

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

I'm not completely in love with it yet, but I enjoyed the pilot. Love that Frances Conroy is in this!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Wow..What a mind fuck indeed...I really enjoyed it, but this show is going to give me nightmares..And Dylan McDermott is sex on a stick...What an amazing body that man has...I'm also loving Francis Conroy, what a freak she is on this show...I think Ryan Murphy has another hit on his hands..

And I was a huge Nip Tuck fan, which was brilliant the first few seasons...Also, really enjoy Glee..

Kenny
Member Avatar

aimees76
Oct 6 2011, 12:53 PM
I was SO disturbed. The rubber man freaked me the fuck out, and I had trouble going to sleep. I had to watch ANTM on dvr afterwards to try and *cleanse* my mind pallet, lol, but it didn't work. I dreamed about it.
LoL, my sister told me she had trouble sleeping after watching it as well.

The pilot was very disturbing, but that's what I liked about it. I felt like I was trapped inside the mind of a psychotic schizophrenic sexual sadist the whole hour.

Kenny
Member Avatar

MissLola
Member Avatar

Two questions who is the actress who plays the young maid and what else was she in?
Are all these weird people really ghosts?

Bremol
Member Avatar

alex
Oct 8 2011, 02:12 PM
Two questions who is the actress who plays the young maid and what else was she in?
Are all these weird people really ghosts?
The actress' name is Alexandra Breckenridge. Imdb says she's been in True Blood, Family Guy, Big Fat Liar, She's the Man...etc.

As for the characters being ghosts...I don't think they're actually ghosts. Constance told Moira, "Don't make me kill you again." You can't kill a ghost...

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Unfortunately, with Canada not having any station airing this show, I won't be able to watch it. :( Not yet, anyway.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I would have guessed the actress that plays Violet was Vera Farmiga's daughter, but it's her little sister. They look so much alike.

Posted Image

Kenny
Member Avatar

American Horror Story Burning Questions: Why Not Just Move? Why the Sexy Maid? And More!

You watched the season premiere of FX’s American Horror Story (airing Wednesday at 10/9c), and now you want answers! Well, good luck with that. Here at TVLine, we’re three episodes into this creepy creation of Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk’s, and you can rest assured that the next two installments will only introduce new mysteries, cast doubt on certain realities, and possibly land the show’s logo next to “Twisted” in the next Merriam-Webster dictionary.

That said, we rounded up a handful of burning (sorry, Larry) questions and dug up (sorry, Moira) some answers… or in some instances, quotes that bear a resemblance to answers.

WHY DON’T THE HARMONS JUST, LIKE, MOVE? | This question looms especially large after the events of this week’s episode, which, titled “Home Invasion,” prompts at least one character to finally broach the duh! topic. Frances Conroy, who plays (the older incarnation of) housekeeper Moira, has the theory that “this house demands people answer for what is going on inside them. I think it even brought them to buy the house.” We’ll have more on that in a moment, but for now watch for the prospect of packing to be nipped and tucked away in Episode 3.

WERE THE HARMONS FATED TO INHABIT THIS HOUSE? | At Horror Story‘s August TCA session, Murphy said that the randomness (…or not) of the Harmons’ relocation would be addressed a few episodes in, but TVLine has since learned that question will in fact not be touched on until after midseason. For now, let’s just say that the house has something it desperately wants (needs?) from its inhabitants.

WILL EVERY EPISODE BE AS MANIC AS THE PILOT? | Heck, is that even possible? Murphy says to expect a mix of tempos. “Our two-part Halloween episodes… feel very similar to the scares of the pilot,” he says. “But then there’s an episode we’re doing about the haunting of the various characters that is much more slow and sort of melodic and not so startling.”

WHY DOES MOIRA APPEAR TO BEN AS THE SULTRY, GARTER-SNAPPING ALEXANDRA BRECKENRIDGE? (NOT THAT WE’RE COMPLAINING) | Meanwhile, (almost) everyone else sees the Six Feet Under mom. The disparity, Conroy tells us, “is very revealing about Dylan [McDermott]‘s character, where his mind and his soul are centered. He has a deep conflict that this house is revealing and forcing him to come to terms with. That’s why his perception of Moira is much different than anybody else’s.”

WHAT DID NOSY NEIGHBOR CONSTANCE MEAN WHEN SHE WARNED MOIRA, ‘DON’T MAKE ME KILL YOU AGAIN’? (AGAIN?!) | “There was a decisive moment between these two characters, yes,” Conroy hints. “They’ve known one another a long time, so there is a certain intimacy and history there.” Watch for Episode 3 to shed more light on that murderous mystery.

SPEAKING OF WHICH: WHAT BRINGS OSCAR WINNER JESSICA LANGE TO A SERIES-REGULAR TV GIG? | Lange says that American actors, more than ever, are loath to put themselves in a film, TV or stage “box.” “So when this came up, I 
thought, ‘Well, here is great writing, a
 wonderful character, and something very unusual….’ I had a couple phone
 conversations with Ryan [Murphy], and I’d never had a man 
promise me so much!”

HAS DENIS O’HARE BEEN BURNED BY THE RIGORS OF APPEARING DISFIGURED? | To play “Larry the Burn Guy,” one of the house’s previous owners, “I don’t mind the [three-hour application of] make-up,” the True Blood alum insists. “I’m kind of a Method actor, so it gets me where I need to be. I’m all for it.”

IS BEN’S DAMNING MARITAL AFFAIR ALL BEHIND HIM? | Ha, were it so easy. 24 alum Kate Mara is about to resurface, bad penny-style, as the comely, slightly crazy co-ed he canoodled with – and she very well may be rarin’ for more attention.

WHAT’S REAL? WHAT ISN’T? (WILL WE GET ANSWERS?) | You’ll be posing those three questions even more loudly after the next two installments, which feature black-outs, a disappearing [secret] and even an appearance by [another secret]. Murphy says that “by the third episode, sort 
of all of the big mysteries are settled,” including the matter of the two Moiras and their attachment to (or imprisonment by?) the house. “Then, the audience can just be along for
 the ride.”

AT THE END OF SEASON 1, WILL WE COLLECTIVELY SAY, “A-HA! SO THAT’S WHAT THIS WAS REALLY ABOUT”? | Meaning, is there some larger, deeper theme behind all the spooky, freaky what-not? “We do know where it’s going, and we do know 
what that great last episode is,” Murphy assures. “It’s 
very unexpected and exciting.”

WILL A NEW SEASON BRING A NEW CAST? | Months ago the talk was that Horror Story would rotate its ensemble with every run of episodes, if successful. Now, though, Murphy says that is “not necessarily true…. We’re keeping that open.”

IS ADMITTED FRIGHT FILM-PHOBE CONNIE BRITTON TUNING IN FOR HER OWN HORROR STORY? | Britton says that in the same way she gave Friday Night Lights a whirl despite not being a football fan, “Yeah, I’m going to watch it.” As she explains, the FX drama “is not just horror, in the way that Friday Night Lights wasn’t just football. To me, it is about this grounded, dilapidated relationship and, you know, all of these … psychosexual, sort of strange psychological things going on in this house. And that interests me a lot.”

Source: TV Line

Mason

This show is so fucked up -- and I love it!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Tonight's episode... wow. This show is such a mindfuck!

The home invasion stuff was really well done. I loved the flashback to 1968 in the opening sequence. When the doorbell rang and Vivien saw the girl standing outside with blood on her forehead, I got goosebumps.

Why does Constance want to hurt/kill Violet? I was confused by the whole cupcake thing. Was she actually intending to kill Violet, or did she somehow know that Violet would reject the cupcake and leave it outside her door for the intruder to eat?

I'm thinking Tate is Constance's son. She mentioned to Vivien that she had one "normal" child and all the others were born with Down Syndrome -- perhaps the result of incest sex? Were she and Tate lovers? Did she go crazy and kill him?

Where the hell did Michael Graziadei come from and why was he kissing on Jessica Lange?

Still confused by the burned man and how he fits into things. Ditto that for the maid.

Ben's girlfriend seems like a psycho.

Looking forward to next week's episode! The preview looked great.

Kenny
Member Avatar

'American Horror Story': Co-creator Ryan Murphy talks 'Home Invasion' and 'our most horrifying addition' yet -- EXCLUSIVE

Tonight was the second episode of FX’s new thrillride, and found Vivian (Connie Britton) and Violet Harmon (Taissa Farmiga) under attack from a trio of thugs hoping to recreate a famous murder. (Be sure and read Jeff Jensen’s recap when it goes up later tonight/tomorrow morning.) Ben (Dylan McDermott) also returned to Boston to visit his pregnant mistress Hayden (Kate Mara). Plus, Constance (Jessica Lange) hooked up with a really hot dude who may or may not be a gigolo! With so much action, EW talked to co-creator Ryan Murphy about the events of “Home Invasion” and asked him of the major questions on the minds of EW.com readers.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You told me that this was inspired somewhat by the Richard Speck murders right?
RYAN MURPHY: A little bit. Somewhat yes. Inspired by that a bit — the opening. But, more so, in the writer’s room, home invasion was by far the overwhelming thing we all collectively were most afraid of. So that was our first group effort.

It reminds me a little of The Strangers, but you mentioned it’s not an homage to that?
I get that people would see that, but that’s not at all what we went for. The masks I believe were modeled after Mayan death masks that we found. Also, of course, that movie, [for] the entire thing they’re always in masks. On the show, they take them off literally within 30 seconds and then the story is about the really creepy, strange, but true murder reenactment.

I thought this episode was scarier than the pilot. Do you agree?
I do. Pilots are interesting because you have to cover a lot of ground and introduce a lot of things. I think it’s just scarier because I think someone invading your home is a terrifying idea. It’s very primal. I think it’s scary because I think there’s 18 seconds in particular in the opening when you think the murderer has left.

Why is Constance trying to poison Violet?
Well Violet is sort of causing problems for Constance’s grand master plan, which is revealed I believe in episode 5. It has something to do with Tate. American’s feel good Romeo & Juliet couple [laughs]!

So we’ll see Hayden again, I’m assuming?
The interesting thing for that is I always like to leave a little room for surprise. Hayden comes in and certain things happen to her and Kate Mara was so outstanding in the part that we just keep writing her in the writing room. The same with Lily Rabe as Nora [who plays one of the former owners of the house and pops up in next week's episode, "Murder House"]. They just kill their scenes so much and the writers love writing for those women so we just keep bringing them back.

The guy that Constance was with — was he supposed to be a hustler?
Uh, I do believe that Constance is not above paying for it now and again. No, but it’s established that Travis is her boyfriend who started off as her handyman. But I think Constance would only hire young, really good looking people to work for her.

So we’ll see him again?
Oh yeah. He’s back for more.

She mentions her other children to Vivian — will we see the other kids?
Yes. You see all of them.

Will they be seen in present day? Or flashbacks?
You see them all in present day and apparently she’s hiding some nasty secrets.

Even nastier than the mirror room she locked Adelaide in tonight?
Yes. In episode seven, we meet one of her children who I believe is our most horrifying addition to the American Horror Story family yet.

Some our EW.com readers had questions: “Heth” wanted to know if Burnt Offerings was one of your influences?
I do know [of] that movie, but I’ve never seen that movie.

“Brandy” wanted to know how long the Harmons have been in the house? I think the question stems from Vivian’s sex scene with Rubber Man and then showing up perhaps the next day pregnant. Was that the next day?
The show takes some adventures with time that I really enjoy. It’s not typical A to B to C. I think they moved into the house, and I think the sex scene that everybody’s referring to probably happened in the second week, and I think “Home Invasion” is probably the first month they’re first living there. But the entire season is a nine-month journey.

“Kristin” is wondering if Larry (Denis O’Hare) is actually looking out for Ben, or has other motives for telling him about murdering his family?
Larry has a lot of secrets and a lot of lies. All I’ll say about Larry is that he’s not to be trusted, particularly when you see next week’s episode. He’s a creature with ulterior motives.

“Squishmar” wants to know if we’ll be getting flashbacks for Constance and Moira (Francis Conroy)?
Yes. We begin episode 3 with a big big meaty scene where you see why Moira has that ghostly eye. It’s supposed to be set in 1983. When Jessica Lange read that scene, she’s was kind of worried we were going to go find a younger actress who looked like her in 1983. I said, “No no no. You’re gonna do it.” Because you wanna see Jessica Lange do that scene. But then we hired these people that did amazing work like on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button with CGI. Everyone’s thrilled with how that turned out.

Jeff Jensen noticed that Violet is reading Albert Camus’ The Stranger. Is that a nod to the fact that strangers invade the house?
It is. It also shows that Violet is one of those really smart cookie 15-year-olds who probably should be reading more Judy Blum or something.

She should probably be reading Twilight.
She’s living Twilight – why would she read it? [Laughs]

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I'm so loving this show right now. I know that in a year it'll probably be an unwatchable mess like Glee. But it's pretty creative, and really fun to watch.

I wonder how they get stuck in that house. Can't have a show if they don't live there...can they?

ETA- The brownie for Violet...perhaps because she essentially used the house for selfish reasons?
Edited by px780, Oct 13 2011, 02:37 AM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

This show ... man .... holy fuck. I'm addicted.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Kenny
Oct 12 2011, 11:23 PM

Even nastier than the mirror room she locked Adelaide in tonight?
Yes. In episode seven, we meet one of her children who I believe is our most horrifying addition to the American Horror Story family yet.

I bet she keeps the others locked away in the basement. 'People Under the Stairs" I bet LOL

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply