Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Daytime Royalty interview with Casey Deidrick
Topic Started: Sep 1 2011, 05:31 PM (2,964 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Please link to Daytime Royalty

Earlier today, Daytime Royalty staff had the opportunity to talk to Casey Deidrick. We talked about his being a DiMera, his onscreen love Kate Mansi, and whether or not "Chill" will happen.

Deidrick’s onscreen alter ego Chad has gone through a lot since his debut in 2009. Deidrick tells us that even he did not know what to expect for Chad when he first started. “I thought Chad was going to be on for a little bit for Mia and the baby switch storyline.” Of course Mia, played by Taylor Spreitler, left the show last year and Chad is still around. Since that time, he’s gone from being Chad Peterson-Woods to Chad DiMera. “[When I started] I didn’t even really know what a DiMera was,” Deidrick laughs. “[Once Mia left], I didn’t really think there was a place in Salem for Chad. Gary Tomlin really fought for me and believed in me. He wanted me to stay and wanted me to become a part of the main family. So they made me a DiMera.”

Deidrick is enthusiastic as he tells us what it’s like to be a member of one of the show’s most infamous families. “I am so blessed that I’m a part of the family and working with Joe Mascolo (Stefano) and James Scott (E.J.) who’s been such and amazing mentor and friend to me.” Deidrick is particularly enthusiastic about his onscreen father. “Joe is a gentle giant. He may look mean and angry on camera, but off camera he’s the sweetest and gentlest man you’ll ever meet.”

Tomlin was among the casualties of the production reset that started in May. Deidrick tells us it was hard to see his character’s champion go. “I was heartbroken. He was definitely a mentor, and I definitely miss him. I wish him all the best and only good things for him.” Deidrick is quick to let us know that he enjoys working with Tomlin’s replacement as well. “I love what Noel (Maxam) is doing with the show. He’s doing a phenomenal job right now.”

The producers were not the only ones affected by the reset. As we’ve heard over and over since the beginning of the summer, the show’s stories and characters are all headed for some big changes. However, Deidrick’s character was mysteriously missing from the Fall Preview seen in this week’s Soap Opera Digest. Deidrick tells us Chad will definitely be a part of Days 2.0: “You can count on it.” In fact, Deidrick tells us he will even be working with some of the returnees. “Matthew Ashford is coming back, too, and that’s absolutely going to be a huge factor in who I’m working with. There’s also some other characters that have been on the show for a while that I’ll be working with as well. I’m not just in one group anymore. I’ve kind of branched out. That’s a good thing.”

Chad’s involvement with Ashford’s Jack obviously comes as a result of Chad’s relationship with Jack’s daughter Abigail, who is played by Kate Mansi. Deidrick has nothing but praise for his onscreen love. “We have a playful energy with each other. She’s absolutely a friend to me offscreen as well. I think that’s important when we’re filming. We’re comfortable with each other where we can test each other’s boundaries without interfering with each others’ personal space.” Deidrick tells us the main difference in working with Mansi as opposed to working with some of the other actresses he’s been paired with is the close age difference between Mansi and him. “I’m so glad that I actually get to work with a girl my age. Working with Taylor Spreitler, the age difference was kind of a factor for me. She was fifteen at the time and I was twenty-two.”

Chad actually has more than one vocal fanbase on Twitter and message boards. "Chill" (Chad and Will) actually took off before Abigail even returned to Salem. Deidrick laughs as he tells us how Chill began. “It’s so crazy because it kind of started as a joke between me and Chandler (Massey, Will). Then we kind of let it out there to the fans that if we were a couple we’d be called Chill, and then a lot of people started figuring out that Chad and Will kind of have an onscreen chemistry with one another.” Deidrick tells us that while the story does not seem to be headed in that direction right now, he would gladly be a part of a Chad/Will pairing. “It kind of blew up into this really big thing, and if the writers went in that direction, it’s something I’ve never done before, so I would welcome it with open arms.. Is it going to happen? I have no idea. Can it happen? Sure. Absolutely.”

If you follow Deidrick on Twitter where the Chill fanbase had its beginnings, you may have also seen a picture of him with former Punky Brewster star Soleil Moon Frye at her book signing last night in LA. We were curious about his connection to Punky. “One of my really good friends was her publicist. She’s definitely a sweetheart and she’s so nice.”

Twitter is also where fans had the opportunity to witness Deidrick’s offscreen romance with Molly Burnett (Melanie) firsthand. There have been rumors floating around for a while that the two are back together, but when asked about it, Deidrick is hesitant to respond. “We want to keep it to ourselves because blowing it up so much in the media and on twitter kind of got in the way between things and kind of ruined things. We’re going to keep that between us.”

Finally, Deidrick gives us his thoughts on the reset. “Really exciting things are coming up in the next couple of months: old characters coming back, new writers, new sets. Everyone is really excited to be there, and the writers are writing such interesting and real stories. In the mean times, I think fans should just get excited about the new writers and everyone that’s coming back to the show. It’s going to be great.”
Offline Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

lysie
Sep 1 2011, 05:31 PM
Twitter is also where fans had the opportunity to witness Deidrick's offscreen romance with Molly Burnett (Melanie) firsthand. There have been rumors floating around for a while that the two are back together, but when asked about it, Deidrick is hesitant to respond. "We want to keep it to ourselves because blowing it up so much in the media and on twitter kind of got in the way between things and kind of ruined things. We’re going to keep that between us."
So, yes, and here are some more details about our break up last time? Smoooooth, lol.
Offline Profile Goto Top

KMan101
Member Avatar

More praise for the writers. Yay!

I like him and I'm glad the new writers are branching him out. Higley isolated everyone in their own storyline bubbles and almost seemed annoyed when she had to have families interact unless they were in a storyline together.
Offline Profile Goto Top

CalAggie87

Interesting, they really are mixing up characters. If Chad is straight, and they continue with Chad/Abby, it would be a nice change of pace if Jack is not the clichéd disapproving dad, but actually feels some affinity towards Chad due to his past with Harper, a killer, and his biological father, Duke, an abusive drunk who raped Adrienne. Then Jack actually helps Chad, and is in favor of Chad with Abby.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I have to say, he's really grown on me over time. I wasn't a fan of early Chad - but I do enjoy him now.

Another great interview, DR - love that you really got in there and asked questions fans want to know about. :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

LOL at he and CM playing up their chemistry, and I had no idea hea nd CM came up with the portmanteau "Chill" as their name.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Thomson
Member Avatar

Another great interview. I love Chad, his relationship with Abby and him being a Dimera. I can't wait to see what the writers have in store for him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Nice interview.

Casey really has grown on me too. After I met him I really could see what a nice person he is and that colors my perception of Chad. But I think Casey has worked at his acting and it shows. Have to say I love his admiration for James and Joe. He did land in a good environment to grow as an actor.

Methinks Jack may have some hard questions for Chad DiMera. Papa Bear is coming home.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cyndabell

I'll praise the writers AFTER I see what they present on screen. This is a nice interview but I expected nothing less since all of these interviews have different actors talking about great things coming up. They kind of all have to talk about how great things will be so I'd rather see it on screen first rather than read about it. Even though characters will be mixing it up, the storylines could still be crap, but I guess if it's not Dena then anything is better.
Edited by cyndabell, Sep 1 2011, 06:52 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MyHappyEnding

I like him. I don't really care what they do with him, I just enjoy what he does.

The last person I felt that way about was Matt.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

Casey has always been my favorite teen, he is such a great character. Of course him being a Dimera was the icing on the cake :rockon: I love his relationship with Abby as well, they are my favorite teen couple. I do get the Romeo and Juliet vibe from them, like most couples. I hate it how when someone is so against a couple, it just seems a far too predictable. On the other hand,I do love them together and liked how the writers are taking their time with them.

As far as rumors about him and Will being together, I`ll take No for 200 Alex. I love him with Abby,I don`t even want to see Chad Bisexual, I just want to see him romance Abby, and only her.

I understand him not wanting to talk about his person life,the media can get crazy. I do think him and Molly are back together though., that is just my opinion.

I am glad that he is well rounded and the longevity of his charater :D

Thanks Lysie ;)

Offline Profile Goto Top

PatNS
Member Avatar

Interesting read - thanks for another great interview.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

I don't know what happened with CD a couple months ago, but all of a sudden he's way hotter and has made Chad a more compelling character. Or maybe I just think Chad is more compelling because CD looks so much hotter.
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Sep 2 2011, 09:18 AM
I don't know what happened with CD a couple months ago, but all of a sudden he's way hotter and has made Chad a more compelling character. Or maybe I just think Chad is more compelling because CD looks so much hotter.
I do think he's bulked up a bit (muscle that is). But it also helps that he's in with some college aged ppl, instead of the 15-yr-olds he was surrounded by.

I really didn't care either way about him until Abby came on. I really love the two of them together,

Thanks for the interview! :) Great questions, as always.
Online Profile Goto Top

jane1978

So Tomlin was the one fighting for Chad? Makes sense, as Higley kept him mostly on backburner and that possibly great story with him mum was cut in few weeks. It had to be kind of weird for Casey to have love scenes with then 15 years old Taylor, most likely still a real life virgin.

So I quess he and Molly are back together, but keeping it private this time. Smart kids. It turned practically into a real life soap once we started notice cracks in their relationship.

I like Chad and Abby but so far they didn´t have any story which would make me really rooting for them. I knew they will end together as soon as Jennifer´s return was announced. And they sort of met and fell in love in a very whatever way.

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic