Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
WLS: Mary Beth Evans Taping Again on 9/22
Topic Started: Sep 8 2011, 08:01 PM (7,406 Views)
presley cat
Member Avatar

six
Sep 8 2011, 08:39 PM
Mason
Sep 8 2011, 08:31 PM
darraholic
Sep 8 2011, 08:29 PM
Mason
Sep 8 2011, 08:03 PM
Fantastic! I was worried that with Stephanie out of town it would be a while before we saw Kayla again.
Isn't Stephanie still in Salem lol?
She is? Did they not give her a proper exit?

I shouldn't be surprised.
Nope. Her last scene was telling Dario that Melanie was a bad person. I assume she's upstairs at the pub or something, because they never said she left town.
Poor Stephanie, she's either upstairs with Tom Horton Jr. or out at the mailbox with Don Craig :hmmph:

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

I'm so happy to hear this. She and Steve are my all time favorites. Would love for both to be back but Kayla will do. Yay!!

Ellie

esp13
Sep 9 2011, 12:02 PM
But I don't think it's a matter of being pigeon-holed as Steve's wife or breaking them up offscreen. I don't see why those are the only options. There are lots of things to do with the character that don't have to be about who she's paired off with. Whether they use some excuse that Steve could come with her to visit or have him in the next room, the only limits placed on the character by that is that she can't get involved romantically with somebody else. She can still be a friend, sibling, daugher, mother (if Stephanie were recast), aunt, doctor, etc. She's not going to drive the story that way, but she can still be a strong supporting character with some good material to work with.

They did it with Jennifer before she got involved with Dr. Dan. She was helping Hope, and Carly, dealing with her daughter, etc. And that was under a much suckier writer. I think they can do something similar for Kayla's recurring appearances.
I don't think they'll break them up, but imo people are actually giving the writers credit by suggesting they will. We've had so many years of "Mickey's in the other room" that I think people are hoping the writers will actually not hide people (or plots!) offscreen. Nevertheless I agree with you that it's entirely conceivable that Kayla could come for Christmas (or whatever) without Steve.

SlyestFox
Member Avatar

esp13
Sep 9 2011, 12:02 PM
SlyestFox
Sep 9 2011, 11:48 AM
Keith
Sep 9 2011, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I don't get the call to have her split from Steve. She could be just like Adrienne circa 2007. Living in Salem with her entire family, but we just don't see Steve. A little annoying, I guess, but unless there's drama and a story to play, its silly. It clearly didn't work for Justin and Adrienne and its hard to compare it to J/J since they are contract. Plus, both of them have a history of constant break-ups. There's no precedent, beyond them killing Steve off again. I agree that the 15-year time could have created a rift, I just don't see it actually being played.
Maybe it's me, but I hate those "Oh, they're here, they're just in the other room!" things. I thought it awkward and weird with Mickey and with Justin as well. I know with Mickey I found it a little insulting that they thought his was a character so superfluous that we could have Maggie always saying he's out of town and we wouldn't notice he was gone. It's just all such a stupid charade, and having a family that's in town that Kayla can't even interact with would be extremely limiting.

I'd like Kayla back full time, but not if it has to be in that. Once you get there, what's the point? Bope, Jarlena, J&J - all have broken up before and gotten back together. I don't see why Steve and Kayla can't do the same, since obviously when/if SN becomes available they'd obviously bring him back and pair them up again. It'd be one thing if SN was available and they just didn't want to bring him back, but if the reason Steve's not on the show is that he can't be, I wouldn't begrudge MBE the work or Kayla the opportunity to be in Salem again. I don't think she needs to be pigeon-holed into Steve's wife or bust.
But I don't think it's a matter of being pigeon-holed as Steve's wife or breaking them up offscreen. I don't see why those are the only options. There are lots of things to do with the character that don't have to be about who she's paired off with. Whether they use some excuse that Steve could come with her to visit or have him in the next room, the only limits placed on the character by that is that she can't get involved romantically with somebody else. She can still be a friend, sibling, daugher, mother (if Stephanie were recast), aunt, doctor, etc. She's not going to drive the story that way, but she can still be a strong supporting character with some good material to work with.

They did it with Jennifer before she got involved with Dr. Dan. She was helping Hope, and Carly, dealing with her daughter, etc. And that was under a much suckier writer. I think they can do something similar for Kayla's recurring appearances.
With her recurring appearances? Sure, absolutely they could. I just think they can do better than recurring appearances. Breaking Steve and Kayla up would only become necessary if they brought Mary Beth Evans back as a full-time contract player (or even a recurring character who recurred year-round as Victor, Justin and Adrienne all are) which I'd like to see happen. The impossibility of having Steve on the show shouldn't keep us from being able to see Kayla full-time.

If they did that, if Kayla's onscreen for any length of time, it would bring up questions about why Steve isn't there too. So, believably, it would have to come down to them breaking them up or else having Steve always in the kitchen, and I just think the former is the better of the two options with the latter being a little stupid/insulting.
Edited by SlyestFox, Sep 9 2011, 12:13 PM.

Thomson
Member Avatar

presley cat
Sep 9 2011, 12:05 PM
six
Sep 8 2011, 08:39 PM
Mason
Sep 8 2011, 08:31 PM
darraholic
Sep 8 2011, 08:29 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
She is? Did they not give her a proper exit?

I shouldn't be surprised.
Nope. Her last scene was telling Dario that Melanie was a bad person. I assume she's upstairs at the pub or something, because they never said she left town.
Poor Stephanie, she's either upstairs with Tom Horton Jr. or out at the mailbox with Don Craig :hmmph:

I do think that Steph's kind of a lucky girl. she's probably upstairs at the pub never to show her face again, it could be worse. Remember that Jan Spears is still in a coma LOL after all these years. Poor Jan.

Ellie

Detail from SOD (I'll add to first post):

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/mary-beth-evans-back-days

Mary Beth Evans (Kayla) will be back filming in Salem on September 23 for shows that will begin airing around December 15. In the story, Kayla returns with son, Joey, and will help Caroline at the Brady Pub. The actress will be appearing in the comedic play Murder At Howard Johnson's in Los Angeles, beginning September 22.

Ellie

This makes me wonder even more if Peggy's ok...

jocelynel3
Member Avatar

Wow, they kept this one quiet for a LONG time... It came totally out of left field!!! Usually DR, and other media outlets for Daytime Drama, have this stuff leaked weeks before!!

edited because spell check turned quiet into quite
Edited by jocelynel3, Sep 9 2011, 12:47 PM.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

Ellie
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8616605&t=8573137

Mary Beth Evans (Kayla) will be back filming in Salem on September 23 for shows that will begin airing around December 15. In the story, Kayla returns with son, Joey, and will help Caroline at the Brady Pub. The actress will be appearing in the comedic play Murder At Howard Johnson's in Los Angeles, beginning September 22.

Thanks for the info. So I wonder if we actually get to see Joey? I wonder how old they'll make him, he should be about 3 but knowing this show they'll make him older.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Ellie
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8616610&t=8573137
This makes me wonder even more if Peggy's ok...

Me too Ellie, I hope she's ok.

I hope Jack/Adreinne/Kayla have some scenes together, or just Jack/Kayla.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 9 2011, 12:38 PM

That's actually a nice tease.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

AWESOME NEWS! I love Mary Beth Evans...plus DAYS needs to have one of the original Brady sisters on canvas.

Too bad SN is at Y&R because no doubt they would have been using him too.

VERY happy DAYS is going to keep using her on recurring status.

maverick
Member Avatar

Hell yeah! I love me some Kayla and MBE! Hope it is recurring status that will lead to MORE frequent appearances. She needs to be in Salem more, whether it's being a sibling, SIL, mom, daughter, friend, competent doctor, you name it. I NEED to see me some Kayla, now if only we can get Kimber back on a regular basis too, make Josh T back into Chris K who runs the pub and then bring back Wayne to play Roman and all will be right in the world... It's not a totally impossible dream! ;) :D

Keith
Member Avatar

With the blurb from SOD, it sounds like something may be up with Caroline.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

NavJLee8785
Sep 8 2011, 10:04 PM
AND she also will be doing a guest spot on BODY OF PROOF, which is set to air later this month.

This woman is BUSY! Love it!
She's also guesting on the websoap PRETTY. Not sure when that's happening.

Thomson
Member Avatar

I miss Stephen Nichols and I'm waiting for him to leave Y&R and go back to where he belongs; here in Salem.

I'm very excited about MBE returning but it does make me wonder what's wrong with Caroline. I don't want another sad Christmas.
Edited by Thomson, Sep 9 2011, 01:14 PM.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Peggy McCay is scheduled to attend Day of Days. If she was having health problems, I could see her not being there but it doesn't appear that is the case.

However, it does look like Caroline may have some more health issues coming up.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

This is great news..Now lets get some Horton's back!!

Ellie

dc cubs
Sep 9 2011, 01:40 PM
Peggy McCay is scheduled to attend Day of Days. If she was having health problems, I could see her not being there but it doesn't appear that is the case.

She was scheduled to attend the book signing in Chicago but canceled at the last minute. I certainly hope she's alright, but if Kayla is being positioned to take over the pub, I am worried.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 9 2011, 02:55 PM
dc cubs
Sep 9 2011, 01:40 PM

She was scheduled to attend the book signing in Chicago but canceled at the last minute. I certainly hope she's alright, but if Kayla is being positioned to take over the pub, I am worried.
If there was anything wrong with Peggy I doubt they would plan stuff with Caroline and Kayla several months ahead.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply