Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: At a Glance: Crystal Chappell; 9/20 Issue
Topic Started: Sep 9 2011, 10:08 AM (5,081 Views)
Mason

Please link to DR.

Crystal Chappell makes her final DAYS appearance on September 22. Here, the actress talks about wrapping up Carly's storyline and moving on to the third season of her web series, VENICE.

SOW: What happens when Jennifer and Daniel visit Carly in rehab this week?

Chappell: It's part of Carly's therapy, making amends to the people that she's hurt. The only chance Carly has of surviving is owning up to her flaws. So Carly has to say to her best friend in the world, "I have these feelings about you that aren't good and it's my problem." It's hard to do that face to face with people.

SOW: At this point, what is Carly's biggest challenge?

Chappell: Learning to forgive herself. Carly's so uncertain. She feels guilty and she's hanging on to self-pity. She's not allowing herself to see what's beyond, opening herself up to all the good stuff in life.

SOW: It sounds like the stage is being set for Carly to leave on a good note.

Chappell: The fact that Carly is being honest with her children and friends will lead to Carly being honest with herself. I'm happy with it.

SOW: How was your last day working on DAYS?

Chappell: I got to work with some of my favorite people, people that have been pivotal to this story: Missy [Reeves, Jennifer], Shawn [Christian, Daniel], Molly Burnett (Melanie) and Sydney Penny (Dr. Norman). There was a small group of us, but it was a lot of fun working with them. They were terrific.

SOW: What is your overall feeling about your last two years being back on DAYS?

Chappell: It was an interesting journey. When DAYS called, I had another job offer. I was curious because I had never gone back and played a character that I had done before. I wanted to go back, create some good energy and reacquaint myself with people that I knew. I also met some new people who became friends. Shawn, Molly, Galen [Gering, Rafe], Nadia [Bjorlin, Chloe]. The best part of going into any work situation is the quality of people. So it was fun to be back at DAYS and play.

SOW: And you'll continue working with some of them on Venice.

Chappell: One of the cool things about doing projects like this is that I get to pick the people that I want to work with. Molly will always be my baby. She's so sweet. It was fun to build that mother/daughter relationship with her on camera. She's so available and open.

SOW: What are you up to now with Venice?

Chappell: I'm on the verge of production. Everyday something goes wrong. Maybe it's having children, but I'm so grateful I can stop and say, "Okay, let's figure this out." It's pre-production, it goes with the territory. I always look like [crap]. I watch season two and I see a really tired woman! But I'm having a great time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NyCsBaDdEsT
Member Avatar
Sami who?

Quote:

Chappell: The fact that Carly is being honest with her children and friends will lead to Carly being honest with herself. I'm happy with it.

Sounds like a boring way to leave the show if you ask me. TFP.
Edited by NyCsBaDdEsT, Sep 9 2011, 10:26 AM.

OldDaysFankat

NyCsBaDdEsT
Sep 9 2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:

Sounds like a boring way to leave the show if you ask me. TFP.
Certainly not very soapy but I guess respectful. I know they have cut the cord but I would have liked to see some closure with Bo although I guess they already did have closure

dylan76
Member Avatar

This makes me so unbelievably sad to see Crystal leave the show. I will try to focus on the good memories of Carly that I have rather than dwelling on sheer stupidity of that asshole Corday.

OldDaysFankat

dylan76
Sep 9 2011, 11:18 AM
This makes me so unbelievably sad to see Crystal leave the show. I will try to focus on the good memories of Carly that I have rather than dwelling on sheer stupidity of that asshole Corday.
Im actually ready to see Carly go and while I love CC I think exiting Carly from the canvas is a good idea. Carly's entire return has been incredibly disappointing. The only part thats kind of sad is we won't see her back again.

Violet
Member Avatar

Bo and Carly broke up a year ago. They had closure (several times) and havent really had any scenes together since. I am not surprised at all Bo isnt mentioned. Her exit sounds very boring though. Of course, this whole drug story hasnt exactly been stellar. Falling flat, without any real depth IMO

NyCsBaDdEsT
Member Avatar
Sami who?

Violet
Sep 9 2011, 11:29 AM
Bo and Carly broke up a year ago. They had closure (several times) and havent really had any scenes together since. I am not surprised at all Bo isnt mentioned. Her exit sounds very boring though. Of course, this whole drug story hasnt exactly been stellar. Falling flat, without any real depth IMO
It would have been nice to see Bo and Carly say goodbye to each other though. They don't need to talk about their feelings towards each other since they've already done that, but they could have had a quick scene together where they wished each other well before Carly exits.

OldDaysFankat

Violet
Yeah I said I think they had closure so it makes sense and I have seen some raves for the drug story I have actually been disappointed and actually not impressed even with the rewrites. CC has done a good job but it hasn't been enough to overcome the disappointment in the story. I wanted better for Crystal but I am sure she will soar wherever she ends up.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Carly leaving without being dead, in a coma or just disappearing with no explanation would be a lot worse than this, when they made the character a drug addict I was worried she would end up in an back alley dead of an overdose.

Serenity 808

Crystal has absolutely rocked her scenes with this story in the past month or so. It's a shame my first introduction to her was in 2010, when she kept telling Chloe to tell Daniel the truth about the baby three times per week, but after the fallout with the paternity and after seeing her clips on Guiding Light, I can say she absolutely deserves her reputation as one of Daytime's best.

I'm glad Carly will leave on a good note and with dignity. I understand how some think it's boring, but I think it's the best way for her to leave the show. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Violet
Member Avatar

NyCsBaDdEsT
Sep 9 2011, 11:31 AM
Violet
It would have been nice to see Bo and Carly say goodbye to each other though. They don't need to talk about their feelings towards each other since they've already done that, but they could have had a quick scene together where they wished each other well before Carly exits.
Yea... I dont know. I guess so, but I dont see the point. (Probably would be awkward LOL) So many characters have left the show without saying goodbye to the people they were in storylines with a year ago. She probably has her goodbyes with the people shes been onscreen with all year.. Melanie, Daniel, Jennifer... I understand they dated while Bo and Hope were apart, but since there really hasnt been mention of Bo and Carly as a couple since the breakup, I guess I had almost forgotten they had anything to do with each other. Especially more so because when I think of Bo, I see him as Hopes other half for the last 3 decades, and they are happy and together for a while now. I tend to forget about the Bope interlopers :laugh:
Edited by Violet, Sep 9 2011, 06:35 PM.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

Carly is one of those characters that I'm so upset about. She had so much potential other than being a meddling in other people's lives and coming in between Bope. Even the Bope/Carbo round could have been so much more than what it was. With good writing, Crystal could have sold anything. It's a shame what they did to her. I bet she's regretting not taking that other job. :shame:

Violet
Member Avatar

Spencer Hastings
Sep 9 2011, 06:59 PM
Carly is one of those characters that I'm so upset about. She had so much potential other than being a meddling in other people's lives and coming in between Bope. Even the Bope/Carbo round could have been so much more than what it was. With good writing, Crystal could have sold anything. It's a shame what they did to her. I bet she's regretting not taking that other job. :shame:
I agree. There could have been so much story with Carly. She was basically a blank slate. They should have brought her back (with Lawrence, who she had the best chemistry with) and really dug into the last 17 years, mystery, suspense.... an opportunity lost. Instead she ended up a temporary Bope wedge. :shame: CC is an amazing actress. I feel bad she was given the crappy writing with her return. She was doomed the minute she hooked up with Bo. I was so disappointed that is where they decided to go with her. Good luck to Crystal in the future though
Edited by Violet, Sep 9 2011, 08:16 PM.

shodanfan

I really wish they weren't getting rid of Carly, although I can kind of see why her character was one of the one's they chose to write off. It's too bad, because even though the drug addiction storyline wasn't perfect, it was finally a story that centered more around Carly's character instead of using her as a plot device in other stories. It bugs me that her character got wasted for so long. CC is one of the few actors on soaps that ever moved me enough to cry. I'm going to miss her on the show. I hope she's on another soap besides Venice in the future.

Blazin_Blue

Violet
They broke up 7 months ago and the fact that they haven't had many scenes together since then is the problem. They should have. Bo should have been involved in this story. There is no way that he would have just let her go through this alone once he found out about it. He would have been visiting her next week like Dan &Jen are and he would have have moved mountains to find her when she was missing. It's completely out of character for him to act so nonchalant about the whole situation like he doesn't care for her. The way they have ignored Bo & Carly's connection during this story makes Bo look bad. And they should definitely have at least said goodbye to each other.

Blazin_Blue

Violet
Sep 9 2011, 06:18 PM
Yea... I dont know. I guess so, but I dont see the point. (Probably would be awkward LOL) So many characters have left the show without saying goodbye to the people they were in storylines with a year ago. She probably has her goodbyes with the people shes been onscreen with all year.. Melanie, Daniel, Jennifer... I understand they dated while Bo and Hope were apart, but since there really hasnt been mention of Bo and Carly as a couple since the breakup, I guess I had almost forgotten they had anything to do with each other. Especially more so because when I think of Bo, I see him as Hopes other half for the last 3 decades, and they are happy and together for a while now. I tend to forget about the Bope interlopers :laugh:
Bo's not just some person Carly was in a storyline with months ago. He WAS her story for most of her first run on Days. They didn't just date while Bope was apart. They were married (spiritually) and planned a life together, kids and all. She was another mother to Shawn D as a kid. They have major history (and major history does not mean length of time together, it was the depth of their love while they were together). For fans who were fans of them in the 90s and were ecstatic to see them back together again (even though their story this time around didn't do them justice), there's no forgetting they had anything to do with each other. So the same as you see Bo as Hope's other half when you think of him, I think of him as Carly's other half (& the guy she had the BEST chemistry with). She's not some random interloper. So it would be respectful of Days to acknowledge their fanbase and their history by at least having a goodbye scene. It doesn't make much sense that they don't. Bo is Carly's one great love, the best guy she's ever been with. She wouldn't realistically leave town without saying goodbye to him. :shame: :eyeroll:

presley cat
Member Avatar

Blazin_Blue
Sep 10 2011, 05:03 AM
Violet
Sep 9 2011, 06:18 PM
Bo's not just some person Carly was in a storyline with months ago. He WAS her story for most of her first run on Days. They didn't just date while Bope was apart. They were married (spiritually) and planned a life together, kids and all. She was another mother to Shawn D as a kid. They have major history (and major history does not mean length of time together, it was the depth of their love while they were together). For fans who were fans of them in the 90s and were ecstatic to see them back together again (even though their story this time around didn't do them justice), there's no forgetting they had anything to do with each other. So the same as you see Bo as Hope's other half when you think of him, I think of him as Carly's other half (& the guy she had the BEST chemistry with). She's not some random interloper. So it would be respectful of Days to acknowledge their fanbase and their history by at least having a goodbye scene. It doesn't make much sense that they don't. Bo is Carly's one great love, the best guy she's ever been with. She wouldn't realistically leave town without saying goodbye to him. :shame: :eyeroll:
Blazinblue
I also find it hard to believe they will end this s/l without any meaningful scenes between Bo and Carly. :shrug: For Bo not to acknowledge their time together makes him a schmuck.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

I'm just glad Carly is gone, I"m over the character completely. She got away with murder, attempted murder, forcing Chloe to do a paternity test etc.... Even this drug rehab story is a bust. Blame Dena for trashing both Bope and Carbo. There was nothing left to salvage out of this.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Violet
Member Avatar

BlazinBlue: To each their own. For me Bo was written off character while he was with Carly. The Bo who has been on screen for the last 30 years never would bring another woman into he and Hopes house/bed so quickly. It happened so fast.Its almost like the writers were lazy with it and the entire thing was all over the place. Bo, Hope, Carly, all three of them were written wrong. I really dont think anyone can say they are happy with the way any of it was written. A goodbye for me is pointless, but I wouldnt have cared if there had been one :shrug: Bo loves Hope, and only wants Hope. Carly 2.0 was written as an interloper. CC was brought back to Days to be the wedge in Bope. Maybe not in the 90's, as Hope was presumed dead and he needed to move on with his life. But in 2010, he and Hope were at odds, Hope moved out, Bo was hurt and fell back into an old relationship (again // ie Billie) to soothe the pain, yes he loved Carly, but not the same as Hope. Hence why he and Hope are together now instead of with Carly.

Either way, I was really excited to see a great story with Carly when I heard she was returning. I was very disappointed. Like I said before, it was an opportunity lost. Back in the 90s I really loved the dynamic with Carly and Lawrence and there was so much they could have done instead of a interloper Bope triangle story for Billie Carly

I also think the new writers didnt do a goodbye because they didnt want to do any more damage the Bo and Hope relationship than what had already had happened to it under Denas pen. I just think they are moving forward and want to salvage the 30 year Bope love story and concentrate on rebuilding that, not revisting Carbo.. No matter what, the total 3 years of Carbo doesnt compare to the 30 years of Bope. It just doesnt
Edited by Violet, Sep 10 2011, 09:42 AM.

Violet
Member Avatar

shodanfan
Sep 9 2011, 08:49 PM
I really wish they weren't getting rid of Carly, although I can kind of see why her character was one of the one's they chose to write off. It's too bad, because even though the drug addiction storyline wasn't perfect, it was finally a story that centered more around Carly's character instead of using her as a plot device in other stories. It bugs me that her character got wasted for so long. CC is one of the few actors on soaps that ever moved me enough to cry. I'm going to miss her on the show. I hope she's on another soap besides Venice in the future.
The official break up was in January (9 months ago) and Bo was long gone before then. Its been a year since Carbo have really been in any type of relationship. Bo looked for her. He was involved. But Im sorry to say, most exes, once they break up (and one party goes back to their wife) do not have a lot to do with each other. I wouldnt expect my ex boyfriend to be hovering over me after a breakup a year ago ..?? Bo knew Carly has a support system. Carly moved on, Bo moved on.
Edited by Violet, Sep 10 2011, 09:45 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply