Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SID: Full Circle -- Interview with Drake Hogestyn; October 10th Issue
Topic Started: Sep 22 2011, 07:32 PM (1,002 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

There's a change in the air, and we're not just talking about the fall season. Yes, the weather is starting to cool, but things on Days of Our Lives are heating up! The show's new producing and writing teams have decided to give the fans what they want, and at the top of that list is the return of John Black. It's a scenario that the popular character's portrayer, Drake Hogestyn, had been eagerly awaiting since he and love interest Deidre Hall (Marlena) became casualties of budget cuts back in early 2009. "I keep thinking that someone's gonna tap me on the shoulder and tell me to awaken from the dream," Hogestyn confesses.

The relief of knowing that he's returning to working with the people he'd called "family" for a quarter of a century ha also given Hogestyn the ability to reflect. As it turned out, the break from the show had been fortuitous timing. "My granddaughter, Avery, was born with transposition of the great arteries -- the aorta and ventricles were switched -- it's a very serious situation that required immediate surgery," he confides. "Right after that, I lost dad (William Edward Hogestyn), but at least I was able to be there for my family during those moments."

During their time away, Hogestyn participated in DAYS' 45th anniversary party, attended the release bash for executive producer Ken Corday's meoirs, spent time with former castmates and spoke with countless fans -- mothers, daughters and granddaughters who share a passion for Salem. "I have always been emotionally part of the show. I just wasn't a physical part of the fabric," he says of the reason he longed to return. "I'm going back to Days with even more respect for what I do, if that's possible. Deidre and I are going to blow the place up, we're hitting our strides again. The first week is a lot of group scenes, but in the scenes in which we're one-on-one with each other, the magic starts happening again and you can feel it."

With the soap opera genre struggling, Hogestyn admits there's a certain sense of pressure to boost the rating. However,, the new headwriters -- who were there during the supercouple's "apex" in the 90's -- are making it easy. "John has spent so much time focusing on his recovery that other aspects of his business have been sidelined and therefore opened up to nefarious groups," the actor previews of his intriguing return. "And that starts a series of events that is going to steamroll and gets us kicked off into the storyline."

While the character-driven plots are sure to be exciting, what Hogestyn is most excited about is that they were also grounded in reality. "These are contemporary stories that are ripped from the headlines. People will relate to them," h e notes. And if the tales do take a shocking turn? This time, Hogestyn's experience has him prepared for that, too. "I learned," he grins, "that if you find the grain of truth in even the crazy stories, the audience will be right there along with you for the ride."

On reuniting with his leading lady: "Are we being used to recapture lighting in a bottle? Perhaps. But... we're gonna do that. We've already show a romantic little get-together, and it's what we do best. The audience will not be disappointed.

On John's missing personality: "[Thanks to Stefano and an experiment gone wrong] John was half-baked. He was left emotionally void, which was a very liberating experience as an actor."

On John's 2009 exit: "The psychiatrist brought in to help John get in touch with his emotions fell for him and attacked Marlena with a toxic syringe. John intercepted it in the spine and became a quadriplegic."

On the exciting cast returns: "You're gonna see Matthew Ashford, Patrick Muldoon and Christie Clark, who played by daughter -- my 'Pumpkin' -- when I was Roman. We're gonna put the show back in that warm, fuzzy place where it was in the 90's."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Kenny
Sep 22 2011, 07:32 PM
"We're gonna put the show back in that warm, fuzzy place where it was in the 90's."
I think Drake is confusing the 80's with the 90's.

The show, while very good in the 90's, was anything but "warm and fuzzy."

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

Drake's excitement is making ME excited about Monday. I can't wait.

michellematthews

he is always so enthuastic!! i love it!! seriously cant wait until Monday!!

hops
Member Avatar

Thank you!!!

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

Kenny
"I'm going back to Days with even more respect for what I do, if that's possible. Deidre and I are going to blow the place up, we're hitting our strides again. The first week is a lot of group scenes, but in the scenes in which we're one-on-one with each other, the magic starts happening again and you can feel it."

This entire interview made me smile but, this part really had me grinning!

KarenB

Kenny
On reuniting with his leading lady: "Are we being used to recapture lighting in a bottle? Perhaps. But... we're gonna do that. We've already show a romantic little get-together, and it's what we do best. The audience will not be disappointed.

LOVE this! :biggrin:

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

KarenB
Sep 22 2011, 08:48 PM
Kenny

LOVE this! :biggrin:
Of course it's what they do best! At least these writers know that! Dena jipped all of us out of a farewell love scene. That's what bugged me most about their exit. lol They didn't even have to be original...just stick 'em on a damn plan with a bed and there ya go. lol

annieroney
Member Avatar

I can hardly wait for Monday. The anticipation has kept me up emotionally since I found out Drake and Deidre were coming back. I hadn't watched Days since they left, even though there were characters I liked, but my MAIN reason for watching was Drake/John Ryan Black Dimera since 1986. :wub: Being a Hoosier, from Indiana, like Drake also made me have an appreciation for him that maybe others haven't. I can always see that when he is interviewed. He is tops in my book whether on Days or in public life.
Drakeriffic. :cloud9:

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Thanks Kenny.

Drake just makes me smile. What a nice guy he is. I certainly hope viewers respond and tune back in. The weight of this reset seems to be on Drake's mind. That is such a responsibility. But of course, the reset will take more than John and Marlena. I'm sure those two will give it their all. I really hope the other elements will be a good.

Monday is reallllllly close.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Thanks to Reese for the Avi♥

I am delighted that he's back at Days. Days felt weird without him and Dee around.

rae

Love this man!! Haven't been this excited since Drake's return in Jan. 08. His enthusiasm about the show and his working with Deidre again gives me hope that we won't be disappointed this time. His return in 08 held such promise until a certain writer ruined what could have been one of the best J&M stories ever.

Can't wait for Monday!! Haven't watched since Deidre and Drake's last day....and "THAT'S A FACT"!!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply