Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC Cancels 'The Playboy Club'
Topic Started: Oct 4 2011, 02:10 PM (616 Views)
WTGH
Member Avatar
Bitch!

NBC has canceled freshman drama The Playboy Club.

Brian Williams' newsmagazine show, Rock Center, will take its place beginning Oct. 31. Until then, repeats of Maria Bello's Prime Suspect will air on Mondays at 10 p.m. The move to air Prime Suspect in Playboy Club's time slot is a clear sign of Bob Greenblatt's desire to make the series, which is closer to his cable sensibilities, work.

Playboy Club's cancellation comes after the drama premiered Sept. 20 to underwhelming ratings, attracting 5 million viewers and a 1.6 rating in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic. The second episode of the series from showrunner Chad Hodge and 20th Century Fox Television, tumbled 19 percent, luring only 3.8 million viewers and a 1.3 in the demo. Its most recent episode dropped even more, attracting 3.2 million viewers and a 1.2.

The series faced a backlash almost from the start, as the Parents Television Council called for a boycott and urged sponsors to pull out of the show that starred Amber Heard and Eddie Cibrian in a 1960s-set story about the Chicago Playboy Club and the bunnies and men who loved them.

Seven advertisers exited the series in the series’ second week after PTC president deemed the show a “commercial disaster” and called for the network to cancel the “degrading and sexualizing program immediately.”

The PTC targeted the show from early on for objectifying and degrading women since NBC ordered it to series in May.

Hodge downplayed the controversy after Gloria Steinem called for a boycott and NBC's Salt Lake City affiliate refused to air it.

"I think there’s a perception of the show that’s false," he said. "There are different brands of feminism and I don’t think it should be boxed into any one version."

"I think there was a perception that we were trying to do something politically ambitious or make a statement or make this a show about empowering women, which sounds super boring to me. That sounds like a documentary, which this certainly is not. This is more like Chicago, Moulin Rouge and All That Jazz, Desperate Housewives. This is a fun, sexy soap," he added.

Rock Center With Brian Williams will feature Harry Smith, Kate Snow and other correspondents and anchors at NBC News, including Meredith Vieira, Dr. Nancy Snyderman, Richard Engel, Matt Lauer and Ann Curry.

"Brian Williams already anchors America’s most watched, honored and respected nightly news broadcast. Rock Center now gives him, and our all-star cast of journalists an opportunity to take viewers on a weekly journey of discovery," said Steve Capus, president of NBC News, and Greenblatt in a joint statement.

The series will be broadcast from studio 3B in Rockefeller Center and the weekly, hourlong newsmagazine will revolve around the week's events, interviews and coverage.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Not really all that shocking, they were pulling a 1.2 in 18-49...that is HORRENDOUS for a primetime show.

King
Member Avatar

I think Free Agents, How To Be a Gentleman, and Charlie's Angels are right behind it!

caffeineJunkie
Member Avatar

I'm sad about The Playboy Club being cancelled. I was invested. The reasoning for PTC wanting the show off the air is stupid to be honest. Every show one way or another is offensive. I can find at least ten things demeaning in all of them.

After reading the boards, seems a lot of people just couldn't stand Eddie Cibrian after his much public affair on his wife. His squinty eyed squeeze continuing to yak about their sexual rendezvous, did the actor no favors. If only they were more graceful about the whole thing, people could have found it in their hearts to forgive them. Or at least move on.

Glad to hear they've renewed Up All Night. I love that show!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

NBC is in big ass trouble, none of their shows are pulling in over 10 million viewers except for Sunday Night Football...that is BLEAK

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

NBC cancels Hank Azaria sitcom 'Free Agents'

http://news.yahoo.com/nbc-cancels-hank-azaria-sitcom-free-agents-213849003.html

pinkcovergirl
Member Avatar

I really liked The Playboy Club!

KMan101
Member Avatar

The CW cancelled H8R as well.

Charlie's Angels and Harry's Law get OK viewers (7-8 million) but their demos are HORRIBLE.

blueskies
Member Avatar

NBC needs to bring back "The Voice". They had the best ratings for them in a long time.

KMan101
Member Avatar

They will. In January.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply