Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Brian Frons promotes "The Chew" Developer; VP of Programming and Development for ABC
Topic Started: Oct 5 2011, 11:07 AM (978 Views)
talbab1994
Member Avatar

Veteran television producer Randall Barone has been named vice president, Programming & Development, ABC Daytime, it was announced today by Brian Frons, president, Daytime, Disney/ABC Television Group, to whom he will report. In this role Barone will continue to oversee the programming and development for the network's award-winning talk show "The View," as well as "The Chew."

For the past year and a half, Barone was instrumental in the creation and development of "The Chew," working closely with executive producer Gordon Elliot and his team at Follow Productions. "The Chew" is the first show to debut on ABC Daytime in 15 years and combines the best of talk, food and lifestyle programming.

Barone began his career as a producer in Philadelphia. He worked at WXYZ-TV (Detroit) as an Emmy Award-winning producer of various shows and was executive producer in charge of programming at KGO-TV (San Francisco). He was the senior supervising producer of "Good Morning America" from 1990-98, in charge of special projects, and traveled the show throughout Europe, Australia and Alaska. He worked as the senior supervising producer of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" from 1998-99, and returned to ABC to work on the development of several projects for daytime television. In July 2000 he was named creative executive in charge of "The View."

Barone is a recipient of both local Emmy Awards and national Emmy Awards for his work on "Good Morning America." He resides in Manhattan.

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2011/10/05/frons-promotes-chew-developer-to-vp-of-programming-and-development-for-abc-daytime
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
^ My face watching DAYS

Man ABC Daytime is just getting more and more destroyed by every day that passes :shame:

chickymonkey
Member Avatar

ABC the only network who promotes someone for being a failure ie. Frons

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I have to be honest- I don't really understand why so many programming people are necessary when there's only one scripted show and the others seem to be produced by/with other companies. What do all these people do? Seems like you'd only need one in charge, then a few underlings to review program pitches and analyze data for what's currently airing. But that to me isn't a President/VP situation. It's more...Manager/Intern. Which would cut costs- people with better titles expect more money.

Also...not sure how creative this guy is if he went from "The View" to creating "The Chew," which is essentially the same show. What awesomeness does he have next? "The 'Do," featuring a panel of hairstylists and hair enthusiasts?

I'm just jealous, though, because I want to be lauded (and paid!) for being marginally successful.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

px780
Oct 5 2011, 11:38 AM
I have to be honest- I don't really understand why so many programming people are necessary when there's only one scripted show and the others seem to be produced by/with other companies. What do all these people do? Seems like you'd only need one in charge, then a few underlings to review program pitches and analyze data for what's currently airing. But that to me isn't a President/VP situation. It's more...Manager/Intern. Which would cut costs- people with better titles expect more money.

Also...not sure how creative this guy is if he went from "The View" to creating "The Chew," which is essentially the same show. What awesomeness does he have next? "The 'Do," featuring a panel of hairstylists and hair enthusiasts?

I'm just jealous, though, because I want to be lauded (and paid!) for being marginally successful.
Betcha a dollar once GH is canceled, Frons will be out of a job.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

When I read this, my first thought was Goodbye GH-- sooner rather than later.

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Quote:

What awesomeness does he have next? "The 'Do," featuring a panel of hairstylists and hair enthusiasts?

:lol: HILARIOUS!

talbab1994
Member Avatar

lightandday
Oct 5 2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:

What awesomeness does he have next? "The 'Do," featuring a panel of hairstylists and hair enthusiasts?

:lol: HILARIOUS!
You're giving him ideas!! I'm telling ya!! :sarcasm: :tounge:

The thing that is really scary about this is that if they are even mildly successful, the other networks will look at this and think that they can make more money with this type of programming. My fear is that this will be a trickle down effect-- ABC will get rid of their scripted shows and the rest will follow.
Edited by talbab1994, Oct 5 2011, 03:20 PM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

bellcurve
Oct 5 2011, 12:21 PM
px780
Oct 5 2011, 11:38 AM

Betcha a dollar once GH is canceled, Frons will be out of a job.
:sheep: NBC better not think of hiring him next. I'll be :puke:

james0479
Member Avatar

When I read this all I think of is The Spew :puke: Stay at ABC only please. Ruin ABC Daytime and I hope the former fans of your network tune out.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply