Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Prospect Park's Plans for AMC & OLTL
Topic Started: Oct 6 2011, 01:23 PM (941 Views)
talbab1994
Member Avatar

ONE LIFE TO LIVE To Be Streamed On Web (TOLN), Then On-Demand, Then Cable Channel
Prospect Park's Jeff Kwatinetz (pronounced KWAH-tin-ets) was featured in a New York Times piece on Wednesday. He believes the web is now a practical way to funnel traditional shows to viewers (including ALL MY CHILDREN and ONE LIFE TO LIVE).

“Seeing the music business morph as it did allows me to see, perhaps earlier than some, what is happening to television,” Kwatinetz said. “A lot of the same mistakes are being made, and in that is opportunity.”

Kwatinetz thinks that television companies, like the record labels before them, are moving too slowly to embrace how viewers want to consume their content: with ease, everywhere. Networks have followed their customers online, but only to a point; the goal is to protect existing revenue streams at all costs.

If the popularity of streamed 30-minute and 60-minute shows on Netflix and Hulu is any indication, consumers are ready to move beyond using the Web for bite-size video, he said.

The Online Network is intended to be financed by Prospect Park, which Mr. Kwatinetz said was profitable, and outside partners. He does not yet have all of those investors lined up — he won’t say how much money he is seeking — but independent investment bankers who have been briefed on Mr. Kwatinetz’s plans said there was strong interest.

Plans call for new episodes to be streamed on the web site and then made available on living room on-demand systems and, a few weeks later, on a traditional cable channel. Mr. Kwatinetz intends to make additional money by selling advertising and syndicating the shows to other Web sites like Hulu or Google.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Interesting plan. I still tend to think that short-format would be better for online viewing, but who really knows.

I wonder how well it will work to air things offline that long after they've aired online. I mean, soaps are in part about unfolding stories and surprises. Spoilers are one thing. Having every dirty detail available because it was online first...why would you then tune in anywhere else?

skiman1208
Member Avatar

I think it can be done successfully. NBC did with Friday Night Lights. It aired on DirectTV first and surprisingly when it aired later on NBC I was spoiler free. I am just excited that someone realizes that daytime soaps are still viable and that there is still a way for the soaps to be profitable. ABC/Disney was just too shortsighted and lazy to do anything about it. Unfortunately ABC will still reap the benefits when this turns out to be a very profitable and successful venture.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

So, they have no money?

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I could see it working with the system of online first, then on-demand and then on cable. There are some people that are not going to watch online, but will on cable or on-demand. I would probably be one of those that will watch online first. Honestly I would be willing to purchased a monthly program to get the shows without commercials.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply