Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fancast interview with Greg Meng
Topic Started: Oct 8 2011, 07:04 PM (3,116 Views)
Ellie

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/blogs/2011/deep-soap/days-of-our-lives-producer-admits-show-got-off-track/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vicky4Mimi

I love Greg Meng. So far he is doing a great job over all. He does need to speed up the return of Bryan Dattilo though...just saying..

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

Quote:

We’re bringing back layers to the characters. For instance, the character of Sami played brilliantly by Alison Sweeney, has gotten to be such a whiner, just a one-dimensional character. That character has many, many layers as do the other characters on the show.

Quote:

We’re trying to create stories where people are working in a real world. They have jobs, and those relationships. They also have friendships which is another thing we’re trying to develop. Guys can be buddies. Girls can have friends… We’re trying to create more diversity on the show. We’re trying to make Salem really representative of the world today.

Not only do I truly believe Maxam and Meng get it, I have full faith that this 2.0 reboot will be a renaissance for the show... not unlike when Valentini took over OLTL, or the Kay Alden years of Y&R, or the Sheri Anderson into JER regime where the show flourished.

I came back, and I know others are too.

(gets off soapbox and takes off Pollyanna hairpiece)

peaches179

Thanks Ellie! Love the interview! I hope they keep up the good work. I'm loving Days right now!

peaches179

Vicky4Mimi
Oct 8 2011, 07:21 PM
I love Greg Meng. So far he is doing a great job over all. He does need to speed up the return of Bryan Dattilo though...just saying..

:laugh: :laugh:

MissLola
Member Avatar

Thanks for admitting that Sami sucks and is annoying.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

Vicky4Mimi
Has it been confirmed that Bryan is coming back?! I've only heard speculation so far. I would LOVE to see Lucas back in Salem!

MyHappyEnding

The show was planned to get even darker? Christ what the hell was Dena planning? How does it get darker?

Thank God she's gone, I seriously think the woman is shizo.

darraholic
Member Avatar

^ Clearly she planned Abe to become a Child Molester. Maggie would probably start drinking and run down Ciara thus killing her. Bope would break up again over the loss of another child. Hope would start taking herbal pills that would cause her to start killing people.

MissLola
Member Avatar

Darker? It seems that someone may have had some some deep depression issues. I am guessing that if certain people were not fired that more beloved actors/characters would have started leaving the show, along with the rest of the audience.

Marlene

Wonderful interview. Loved it and the fact that Greg Meng truly does understand what this show is all about.

There was one particular line that makes really worry about what would have been had these changes not been made.

"We were looking at that and… with such plot-driven stories, we’d gotten ourselves into a bit of a corner and the show was starting to get a little dark and the plans were for it to even go darker in stories."

In the last two weeks it has become so clear that we have out show back. True, there are those who are really disappointed that certain characters were dropped, that not all their favorites have yet come back, yet others are still there...

However, I think most of us will agree, that while nothing's perfect, we're in so much better a place than we were only just a few months ago.

Dreamy
Member Avatar

Great interview!

TFP!

BradyB

There are still a few characters that need to leave and several that still need to return, but the show is much better than it was a few weeks ago. I found myself watching entire episodes this past week.

hops
Member Avatar

Thank you! Like him so much. He sounds like he is sincere and not someone who is just saying what he thinks someone wants to hear. I like his vision.

Carly
Member Avatar

darraholic
Oct 8 2011, 07:59 PM
^ Clearly she planned Abe to become a Child Molester. Maggie would probably start drinking and run down Ciara thus killing her. Bope would break up again over the loss of another child. Hope would start taking herbal pills that would cause her to start killing people.
LOL!

My guesses for Dena's "darker" DAYS: Chloe would get neuro-syphilis from one of her johns. EJ would knock up Taylor, causing Nicole to go insane and start attacking all the pregnant women in Salem. Ciara would fall down a well and get rescued by Melanie, who would then become blind from the fumes in the well. Melanie would move in with Victor and Maggie. Victor would fall in love with Melanie and knock her up, causing Maggie to go insane. Maggie and Nicole would then join forces to attack all the pregnant women in the neighboring towns.

Then Abe would decide to help Salem's economy by starting a leper colony in the town square. It would be revealed that a leper named Gertrude was the real Hope Williams Brady, while the Hope that we've seen on screen since 1994 was a con artist named Loretta who is the illegitimate daughter of Tom Horton from an affair that Tom had with a stripper named Busty Bridget. Meanwhile, Sami would get three kinds of cancer but be cured by the love of Dr. Dan, who would then fall in love with Sami and knock her up with quadruplets. Jennifer would then go insane and join Maggie and Nicole in attacking the pregnant women. Also, Rafe would be elected governor, and a scandal would occur in which it was revealed that Rafe was the john who had given the neuro-syphilis to Chloe!

Oh, the drama! :sheep:

blueskies
Member Avatar

god, darker?? obv that prostitution storyline was not supposed to end the way it did....prob everyone was gonna find out, then Chloe, after a long battle with alcoholism & drugs (a week, long in Higley world) would throw herself off the Salem pier. Brady spirals downward, kills Kate, Stefano attempts to kill Brady but accidently gets Nicole instead, Taylor turns on EJ afterwards, and down, down, down.

Btw, although I believe Greg when he says he talked to Ken, I still find it annoying that they don't mention DR's extensive campaign to fire Higley.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I think he has truly gotten IT...but I need more excitement...I need it to be a little less real-life...and a little more crazy..but not cray-cray like Dena.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

And to add...I LOVE that we are seeing our characters back in "job like" settings...but I don't want to just seem them in these real-world settings...I still want totally fucked up things to happen to them...things that I know for sure would never happen to me...thats is why I watch and if that sense of the show goes away, then I think I go away as well...so I certainly hope we are not in for DAYS 2.0 the daily news version.

Vicky4Mimi

JDeveraux_91
Oct 8 2011, 07:45 PM
Vicky4Mimi
Has it been confirmed that Bryan is coming back?! I've only heard speculation so far. I would LOVE to see Lucas back in Salem!
In MY mind it's been confirmed :wave: --but I guess it is just speculation right now. :shrug:

Kyrai

Mitchapalooza
Oct 9 2011, 02:47 AM
And to add...I LOVE that we are seeing our characters back in "job like" settings...but I don't want to just seem them in these real-world settings...I still want totally fucked up things to happen to them...things that I know for sure would never happen to me...thats is why I watch and if that sense of the show goes away, then I think I go away as well...so I certainly hope we are not in for DAYS 2.0 the daily news version.
I am right there with you. I always loved Days because of the great characters, great loves, great stories. I'm ready for them to have action packed adventure again, see these characters taking on danger and tackling it head on. But back in the day, the great stories still took time to build. Miami, Stockholm, Greece, Stefano's Island, Maison Blanche, Possession, Aremid took time to evolve. And I always loved the love stories building as they cranked up. They're re-establishing the characters beautifully. I hope we're evolving to a great story. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply