Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty Interview with Patrick Muldoon
Topic Started: Oct 14 2011, 07:26 PM (1,975 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Please link to Daytime Royalty

Earlier today Daytime Royalty staff had the opportunity to talk to Patrick Muldoon. See what he has to say about figuring out his characterís history, Lauren Koslow, and his friends on Twitter.

How did you go about finding out what happened to Austin after you left the role?

Through Christie, through Ali, through Lauren Koslow.

Was there anything in Austinís history that surprised you?

Yeah. You know the whole thing about how Austin and Carrie finally split, got married, and got out of Salem. And the situation with Sami trying to stop that from happening. For me, thereís so much thatís gone on, Iíve kind of handled it on a scene-by-scene basis. I had to know what the history is with Sami and Austin. I was there for the beginning of that rift. I had to know how it grew over the years. Other than that itís kind of like a scene-by-scene basis. If thereís anything in any scene that Iím kind of unclear about where Iím coming from, I immediately go and talk to one of those three and they have the answer for me.

What were some of the things that surprised you?
My mother is married to Stefano. When I left, Austin was basically a street kid who was a boxer and a musician and was kind of passionately going from the wrong side of the tracks to the right side of the tracks. That was our story then. When Austin Peck played him I think the character was more of a businessman. There were a lot of things about the character that were kind of wild. He always had a really nice moral compass. He was really, really passionate. I really loved the story for the three years I was there. He was a really, really passionate guy for Carrie. So thatís kind of the main thing. No matter what I have to play. Thatís always so alive in him. Everything that happens in his life is kind of how it relates to that. Since they write the fictional character, but in daytime they kind of write to the actor thatís playing him. They wrote to me quite a bit.You know the boxing and the music stuff was all stuff I was doing in my life, and they kind of incorporated it back then. All that stuff is still alive in my subconscious, itís just now itís sixteen years later. Iím probably way off track with what you were asking me, but Iím just going to keep talking.

Are boxing and music going to be incorporated back into his character?
No. You know...heís not 25 anymore. I donít know. A forty year old boxer...Iím sure theyíll bring in the musician stuff at some point. Iím cutting a new record, and musicís a big part of my life. Maybe Marlene and Darrell will write that in at some point.

What would you like to see for Austin in the future?
Itís a tough thing. Whatís been tough is that he got such a tall order to try and handle since he got back. Being on the opposite of Carrie in this John Black case. So thatís about as tough a thing for a character who the whole genesis of the character is about this girl. He comes back to Salem, and heís got her. Then he comes right back in, and obviously the relationship is going to get tested. I want to explore the character in Salem as much as the fans want to see different characters explored in different situations. We know whatís happening here. This is not going to get any easier for him. The relationship with him and Sami has changed, which I think fans will like. I think the fans I see around the internet think theyíre going to get the same old Austin/Sami thing. But itís not that. Samiís kind of grown up. Sheís got a family. Austinís kind of matured. Thatíll kind of get explored a bit. I donít think what the fans think is going to happen is whatís going to happen up to this point. You never know. I donít know. Take him around Salem. Any time I have a scene with a character that I donít normally have scenes with, itís like an opportunity for story. Iíve been back and weíve been with Sami/Rafe/Carrie. Austinís going to interact with some other people in Salem, too. Thatís what keeps things interesting. The fans arenít going to get old regurgitated stories.

Lauren Koslow is the second Kate youíve worked with. You also worked with Deborah Adair. Both actresses are only about 15 years older than you. Is that ever weird?
Thatís always the case in daytime. Itís never age specific. Try and stay chronologically correct with anybody. Just check out the children. Theyíll jump five years. Fans are used to being forgiving of that. But also, if you take Lauren Koslow and stand her next to any 40 year old person, sheís not going to look much older. Sheís timeless. Weíre not the same age, but sheís...hey look. Sheís so gorgeous. If she was my mother, Iíd probably have to see a psychiatrist.

Do you see a difference in the dynamic between Austin and Lauren Koslowís Kate and Austin and Deborah Adairís Kate?

Kate was different and in a different part of her life back then, I believe. This Kate is dark. This chick is rock and roll. Sheís married into the DiMeras. My in-laws are the DiMeras, you know? One thing Lauren and I really share and that I really love about her is that sheís so rock and roll. We have some scenes coming up where you get to see the affection Austin and his mom have for each other. Sheís really unpredictable to work with. Sheís so in the moment. Itís so cool. I love working with her. But sheís in a darker position than when Deborah Adair played her.

Weíve noticed that you seem to be friends with a lot of the younger actors on Days, but we havenís seen any scenes with you and them yet. How did those relationships develop?

Well, they develop by proximity. Weíre all in the same shoe box everyday. Christie and I used to be the young storyline. So Casey and Molly and Kate and Freddie and Chandler are just really fun. So Christie and I are just having fun with the young kids on the set. We both havenít matured that much, so thatís why we hang out with them. I have worked with them some, though. There will be some stories coming up with myself and some of the people in the younger storyline. Thatís a lot of fun.

How often are you verbally assaulted for breaking up (Saved by the Bellís) Zack and Kelly?

Iím going to be conservative. Probably about once a week. On the street. I tell people that I donít apologize for it because Kelly Kapowski was really hot.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Quote:

How often are you verbally assaulted for breaking up (Saved by the Bellís) Zack and Kelly?
Iím going to be conservative. Probably about once a week. On the street. I tell people that I donít apologize for it because Kelly Kapowski was really hot.

I FLOVE that question!

Sorry PM, but Sami has NOT matured! And I would HATE it if Austin was turned into another Sami apologist/guy on the side and Carrie be the one that gets dumped on.

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

lol, I laughed when he lost track of the question and admitted to just rambling and his Kelly Kapowski answer was classic. I can't wait to see more of the Austin/Kate relationship explored. Kate has always been overprotective to say the least of her children so I'm curious how they will relate to one another. Just as long as Austin isn't turned into Lucas 2.0 when it comes to his connection to Kate I'll be happy.

elizhope
Member Avatar

LOL Yall are hilarious for the Kelly and Zack question! :D I remember how much I hated him back then for that :lol: He broke my little pre-teen heart by breaking up my couple

Zack and Kelly FTW :wub:
Edited by elizhope, Oct 14 2011, 07:54 PM.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

He has a wicked sense of humor. Love the interview.

Carly
Member Avatar

elizhope
Oct 14 2011, 07:49 PM
LOL Yall are hilarious for the Kelly and Zack question! :D I remember how much I hated him back then for that :lol: He broke my little pre-teen heart by breaking up my couple

Zack and Kelly FTW :wub:
LOL. I was always a Zack/Jessie shipper, so I was thrilled when Kelly showed her true colors by hooking up with Jeff.

Alas, Zack and Kelly eventually got back together and broke my Zessie-lovin' heart! :frustration:

Ginger
Member Avatar

His eloquence underwhelmed me.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

The last question saved this interview from being a total trainwreck. Not Daytime Royalty's fault, btw! So not bashing. He just didn't say one thing that gave any intrigue at all. There was nothing interesting in this. He basically seemed like he had no idea what he was talking about.

Dreamy
Member Avatar

Great interview!

TFP!

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

This interview was....weird. He kind of rambled a lot and half answered every question! Haha, poor thing is a little rusty. :)

MarvinPepper
Member Avatar

Gosh, I adore Patrick Muldoon. I'm so happy he's back on the show. Great interview guys and love the Saved By The Bell question. :)

KMan101
Member Avatar

As a kid, I was so upset at his character for breaking up Kelly and Zack! Much like everyone else, lol

PatNS
Member Avatar

Thanks! Another interesting interview.

Vicky4Mimi

Great interview--thanks!

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Nice and fun interview thanks :D
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I don't expect Austin to still be a boxer. Muldoon is right. The man is in his 40s. He can't be going at it in the ring anymore. However, I would like to see the boxing used as maybe a work out plan for Austin. Boxing is important part of the character's history that really got abandoned when Austin Peck was in the role, aside from that brief return to the ring when Brandon showed up in town. It would just be nice to see Austin coming back from the gym with a pair of boxing gloves over his shoulder. Just something nice for the fans. A nice reminder of who the character is.

Same thing with the music. I hope we see Austin playing with the piano keys anytime there is a piano around.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply