Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
20 Classic ATWT Episodes Now on DVD; Update: ATWT Christmas Set Now Available (11/22)
Topic Started: Oct 13 2011, 06:13 PM (5,729 Views)
Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

The ex-wives club is the only 00 material that can be permitted.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

Anything after Annie can be left off IMO.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I'd like to see some old Michelle and Danny stuff, like the pier. Back when the One Tree Hill girl was playing her.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Not sure if anybody else already knew this, but you can also purchase it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005VOIXLS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1318989157&sr=8-2&condition=new

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

I'm doing sort of a DVD commentary series with some of the actors. Yesterday Sara Ramirez and today started a batch of Eileen Fulton posts. She had lots to say and was such a delight to speak with about ATWT.
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/10/fulton1.html

Has anyone received their DVD set yet?

KMan101
Member Avatar

I'll order it next week. Gotta wait for another payday, lol.

ScottyBaldwin

I got mine today the opening and closing credits have been edited from some of the episodes also my third disc is the SAME as the FIRST one SMH

~bl~
Member Avatar

I am still waiting, mine was shipped on the first day that they did, but got standard shipping.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Apparently their website is down.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Drew
Oct 20 2011, 06:30 PM
Apparently their website is down.
It's working for me.

Mason
Member Avatar

I received mine today and just watched the Tom/Margo wedding episode....are the opening and closing credits edited out on every episode? If they are, this really disappoints me and is something I hope won't be done on future releases.

ETA: Okay, I see it's not that way on every episode, thankfully. The absence of the opening in some episodes aside, this is a really great set, so far! I'm loving seeing all these episodes, some for the very first time and some for the first time in years.
Edited by Mason, Oct 21 2011, 08:55 PM.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Here's the second part of my DVD commentary series interview with Eileen Fulton
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/10/fulton2.html

Mason, I think there are five episodes where the opening was cut because it had a commercial in it. The shows were as is except for commercials. I was afraid we'd lose some of the music which seems to have been a sticking point in the past for other shows, but it's all there in this set.

I had just turned 13 when that Tom and Margo wedding aired and I loved it so much. It was so them, at least how they were back then.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

For those who have received your DVDs, did you enjoy the 1979 episode? I had never seen anything from that time other than summers and holidays (pre-VCR and in school). I watched the entire month of September 1979 and chose that one because it featured a lot of characters, and had some great Lisa and Grant. I was just so fascinated watching that stuff because it was brand new to me. I'm hoping others feel the same.

I'm not sure how long it will take to go from those big clunky master tapes to digitized versions but I hope someday all these episodes are available online. I think that's the direction we're headed, it's just a matter of how long it takes to do all that work.

Mason
Member Avatar

I liked the 1979 episode. Lately, I've been really fascinated by the 70s era of soaps, so I'm glad that one was included.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 22 2011, 01:39 PM
I liked the 1979 episode. Lately, I've been really fascinated by the 70s era of soaps, so I'm glad that one was included.
I'm glad to hear it. I remember a lot from 1980/1981 but somehow this felt like a different era even though it wasn't that much earlier. It was sort of strange seeing "Ed Bauer" on ATWT. :)

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Roger, do you know if they have the distribution rights ONLY to the 1979+ material on the soaps or if that's just where the consecutive runs begin that's necessary for the stripping of a series, which they seem to be doing internationally? Considering that it's seems like they're doing "Best Of" type sets only, consecutive runs of episodes wouldn't be needed and could jump around with what's available from the older material. I could see "ATWT VOL. 2: The Back & White Years", with odds-and-ends episode form the 1950s/1960s from the P&G vaults and then a "ATWT VOL. 3: The 1970s", etc. If they DO have the ability to dig into the P&G archives, I think a P&G sampler set full of miscellanious P&G soaps (Somerset! Lovers & Friends! For Richer, For Poorer! Our Private World!) would go over WELL with collectors. I'm just not sure how those rights & access issues work out. I hope this goes over well because I'd also love to see stuff come out for series like The Doctors, Love of Life, Santa Barbara, Capitol, etc. I'd buy Santa Barbara and Love of Life sets in a heartbeat.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Roger, do you know if Soap Classics is happy so far with it's profits? I really hope this becomes a continuing trend to release classic episodes of soaps on DVD.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Matt, when we first spoke they thought they had the rights to all of it, but only Sept. 1979 forwarded existed. They are looking into the older episodes. I've even spoken with some of the actors who have some episodes in storage that may not have ever been seen. So that's on the table for the future, just not sure what kind of rules places like the Paley Center might have on stuff donated to them. I would love to uncover some vintage episodes even they don't have.

Casey, I can't speak for them about profits. I do know this is the exact right company to do this type of thing because they do both the technical aspects (can digitize/encode, etc) and distribution. A lot of companies do one but not both. So being able to do both things with their resources would seem to make it cheaper, thus making profits easier to obtain. That's how I see it anyway. I would love for this to sell so much the demand for non-P&G soaps would grow. I know The Doctors has been in the works for about five years now and it's starting to move again.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

RogerNewcomb
Oct 22 2011, 01:55 PM
Casey, I can't speak for them about profits. I do know this is the exact right company to do this type of thing because they do both the technical aspects (can digitize/encode, etc) and distribution. A lot of companies do one but not both. So being able to do both things with their resources would seem to make it cheaper, thus making profits easier to obtain. That's how I see it anyway. I would love for this to sell so much the demand for non-P&G soaps would grow. I know The Doctors has been in the works for about five years now and it's starting to move again.
Okay, thanks for going a bit into detail about it! I've already expressed my interest to them about seeing both All My Children and Days of our Lives on DVD sets like this one for As the World Turns, so I'm hoping others will as well. They could do a Bill and Susan Hayes box-set with some pivotal Doug and Julie episodes from the early 1970's that are pretty much just sitting around in the NBC studio that they could be making a profit off of.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

RogerNewcomb
Oct 22 2011, 01:55 PM
Matt, when we first spoke they thought they had the rights to all of it, but only Sept. 1979 forwarded existed. They are looking into the older episodes. I've even spoken with some of the actors who have some episodes in storage that may not have ever been seen. So that's on the table for the future, just not sure what kind of rules places like the Paley Center might have on stuff donated to them. I would love to uncover some vintage episodes even they don't have.

I understand about the concerns Paley donated material might have (although I don't know the original source of some of the Paley material, whether it was donated by P&G itself or a 3rd party and how THAT might affect things). Just from some of the snippits of material that can be found on youtube (some in EXCELLENT condition), I have to wonder exactly what all is really out there and I have to suspect that some things long-though lost might actually exist (I've always been curious about that short-lived SFT theme between the classic original one and the 70s "We'll Search" theme, for example). I don't know whether you can speak on this (or if you even know), but is the company focused primarily on the P&G programs or are they looking to eventually expand into other series? Also, I haven't received my DVDs yet so I can't speak on the condition of the openings/closings, but I can understand about about sponsor plugs making it necessary to edit them. However, I don't know why certain ones needed to be pulled alltogether instead of having the sponsor part cut off (like they had to do with Edge and AW on the AOL episodes).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply