Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
20 Classic ATWT Episodes Now on DVD; Update: ATWT Christmas Set Now Available (11/22)
Topic Started: Oct 13 2011, 06:13 PM (5,718 Views)
jam6242
Member Avatar

Thanks for the explanation Matt!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

jam6242
Oct 29 2011, 11:18 AM
It would seem Days and Y&R are sitting on a gold mine. I would give anything to see the early days of both shows. The early 70s are my favorite Days era & I loved Y&R in its early years too. I wonder if they'll ever release the early shows while they are still currently on the air?
If they were smart they'd be releasing DVDs while the shows were on air. It's easier to promote that way. I remember when ATWT was releasing all those books, before they'd show the preview for the next episode you HAD to listen to a promo for the book. It's easy, cheap promo and all your viewers know the product. If they did something similar with DVDs they'd easily fly off the shelves. All the existing soaps need to get on it. Especially B&B which is already doing it (INCLUDING extras) for international release.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Also, with the 1979 episode, without full credits it's hard to really tell who was in charge of what at the time. However, I did some digging and the EP at the time this show aired had to be Joe Rothenberger who, I believe was EP from 1978-1980. The HW at the time is a little more iffy since there were 3 different HW regimes in 1979.

From 1973-1978, the show was HW by Robert Soderberg & Edith Sommer who were hired to clean up the mess left by Irna Phillips' final stint writing the show. The managed to save the show from ratings disaster, but by 1978 the show had begun to falter again (it was rated #1 for the 77/78 season, but fell to #4 for the 78/79 season. Meanwhile, GH had been #8 for the 77/78 season and jumped to #2 for the 78/79 season). At the beginning of 1979, the generally well-regarded HW team of Ralph Ellis & Eugenie Hunt had taken over, but were replaced later on in the year by none other than Douglas Marland (fresh of a VERY successful and highly regarded 1978-1979 stint HW GH). However, Marland only stayed with ATWT for 13 weeks before P&G (in a move they quite often did to freshen up shows) switched Marland with GL's HW team of Bridget & Jerome Dobson (who HW GL from 1975-1979). Marland would HW GL from 1979-1982 and would eventually return to ATWT to begin his legendary HW stint in 1985). The Dobsons would HW ATWT from 1979-1981, but would be replaced by a revolving door of HWs before returning in 1982 to write the show for another year.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Bright Eyes
Oct 29 2011, 11:22 AM
jam6242
Oct 29 2011, 11:18 AM
It would seem Days and Y&R are sitting on a gold mine. I would give anything to see the early days of both shows. The early 70s are my favorite Days era & I loved Y&R in its early years too. I wonder if they'll ever release the early shows while they are still currently on the air?
Yeah, I'd kill a bitch to get Bill Bell's era of DAYS and the years of Y&R before "the big change up."
The Bell era of DAYS was incredible and Pat Falken-Smith wrote some brilliant scripts and then, as you know, took over for Bell! I can't even begin to describe how good the show was then! The Julie and Doug storyline was so sensual and sexy! She was such a complex woman at that time! Sigh!Thanks Matt, for that refresher on Sheila! I actually remembered that her last name was Winston but I forgot about what happened to her! Lisa/Grant/Joyce was a favorite! Lisa was still transitioning from troublemaker to feisty heroine when she met Grant! Nancy wanted to fix Grant up with Kim at first! When Kim "lost" her baby, Grant told Lisa that maybe she could try again! "eWWWW John DIXON?!" was her disgusted reply and one of the reasons I hated John and Lisa being paired romantically years later! James Douglas and Barbara Rodell were great as was the use of history with the Ellen/Lisa feud reheating over the whole adoption angle! Then Joyce marrying Don Hughes was a whole other level of great material with Don resenting yet another lawyer, Grant, having what he thought should be HIS place in the law firm of Lowell, Barnes, Lowell and Hughes! God I miss that soap era!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Matt
Oct 29 2011, 01:32 PM
Also, with the 1979 episode, without full credits it's hard to really tell who was in charge of what at the time. However, I did some digging and the EP at the time this show aired had to be Joe Rothenberger who, I believe was EP from 1978-1980. The HW at the time is a little more iffy since there were 3 different HW regimes in 1979.

From 1973-1978, the show was HW by Robert Soderberg & Edith Sommer who were hired to clean up the mess left by Irna Phillips' final stint writing the show. The managed to save the show from ratings disaster, but by 1978 the show had begun to falter again (it was rated #1 for the 77/78 season, but fell to #4 for the 78/79 season. Meanwhile, GH had been #8 for the 77/78 season and jumped to #2 for the 78/79 season). At the beginning of 1979, the generally well-regarded HW team of Ralph Ellis & Eugenie Hunt had taken over, but were replaced later on in the year by none other than Douglas Marland (fresh of a VERY successful and highly regarded 1978-1979 stint HW GH). However, Marland only stayed with ATWT for 13 weeks before P&G (in a move they quite often did to freshen up shows) switched Marland with GL's HW team of Bridget & Jerome Dobson (who HW GL from 1975-1979). Marland would HW GL from 1979-1982 and would eventually return to ATWT to begin his legendary HW stint in 1985). The Dobsons would HW ATWT from 1979-1981, but would be replaced by a revolving door of HWs before returning in 1982 to write the show for another year.
IMO, the show never really recovered after the Soderbergs left! Of course Marland's second run was remarkable and Sheffer with Carolyn Culliton handled the last "Golden Age" for the soap! But I remember it floundering in the late 70s and while the Dobsons later did a good job with their quirky writing, some of it was out of character and became high camp! It took me a long time to appreciate Marland's second run! I LOVED his GL and still remember so many scenes from back then! But on ATWT, some of the dialogue could get repetitive and superfluous just as Marland could be with Harding Lemay on AW! Some of it was obviously him and not the script writers! But I'd take any of his stuff over what passes for Soap Opera now!

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Is either Sierra in any of these episodes? I wasn't wasn't watching at all during the 80's, and I'd love to compare!

Mason
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Oct 29 2011, 04:36 PM
Is either Sierra in any of these episodes? I wasn't wasn't watching at all during the 80's, and I'd love to compare!
Finn Carter is in 3 or 4 episodes, but MBE isn't in any.

~bl~
Member Avatar

I've gotten through the first two disks and Sierra as played by Finn Carter is in two episodes.

The one when Lily found out she was adopted and Bob and Kim's wedding.

Kriss4

Oh. Too bad.

I'm really far more familiar with Mary Beth Evans as Sierra and I loved her in that role, so I'd love to have seen her in some of it. However, it has to be hard to decide which episodes are selected, and considering ATWT's long history and the many characters longtime fans would like to see, I figured seeing her Sierra again might be a longshot.
Edited by Kriss4, Oct 29 2011, 05:28 PM.

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Mason
Oct 29 2011, 05:23 PM
granolagirl
Oct 29 2011, 04:36 PM
Finn Carter is in 3 or 4 episodes, but MBE isn't in any.
Thanks, great to know! I'm still trying to decide if/when to buy, but I definitely want to support this.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I've so far watched the first two DVDs completely.

I found the 1979 episode boring, and I didnt get the whole Bob and Dana romance thing - there didnt seem to be any spark there.

I loved the Tom/Margo and Lily/Holden wedding episodes. The Carly and Jack wedding episode was good for the other stuff happening in the episode. I was bored to tears by the Betsy/Steve ceremony, and the Bob/Kim episode was entertaining just to see people like Marissa Tomei and Christian LeBlanc but otherwise was a bit zzzzz.

The Luke, Carly paternity, and of course the Boathouse episodes were great.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

For what I'd like to see:

- Something of the whole Lily/Damian/Malta story, preferably something of his crazy mother poisoning her in her ear
- The Kingsley-Malta plane crash
- Something with Jordana Brewster. I loved Nikki Munson.
- Kim's stalker climax
- Bryant's car accident and death
- Barbara testifying against Craig after her burning ("THIS IS WHAT HE DID TO ME!")
- Simon and Katie in the Malta dungeon

Edited by Drew, Oct 29 2011, 06:00 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

I've never been a big fan of Jack and Carly's wedding in Montana (or, as I refer to it derisively, the barn wedding). I much preferred their wedding in 2002 that Julia crashed.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Was that the one where Jack threw her in the punch bowl?

Mason
Member Avatar

No, that was something else that ended with Julia in the punch bowl because that happened before she went really BSC, but I can't remember what the event was.... Craig and Barbara's wedding?

She showed up to Jack and Carly's wedding with the baby she stole and claimed was Jack's.
Edited by Mason, Oct 29 2011, 08:17 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm almost certain that Julia got dumped in the punch bowl at Craig & Barbara's wedding because it's the same wedding where Hal walk in with a donkey during the reception.

Also, I MUST HAVE the very beginning of Craig's trial for BBQing Barbara. I remember Jessica practicing her opening statement in her home, which then faded to it being a v/o over all the different players in the trial (getting ready to go to court) as she mentioned them, which then faded into the courtroom with court in session as Jessica concluded her statements. It was such a powerfully written, directed, and produced episode.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Just finished the 1991 (wink wink) episode where blind John falls down the stairs and it was very good! I'm getting so curious and want to see more of this mystery late 70s/early 80s period. The show didn't seem in bad shape here. I love so many of the characters in just a short time. Was really nice seeing Kim in a completely different element than what I'm used to seeing. One thing I will say is that I'm not fond of the Stewart's. Dee and Annie have never made much of an impression in the episodes I've seen and Ellen even seems blah to me. Of course I do like Emily and Susan, but overall I do see why Marland wasn't in love with them.

Chloe
Member Avatar

I started watching ATWT after my beloved AW was cancelled and I followed my fave Tom Eplin to the show. I ordered this DVD and I have to say even though I'm not done the second disc yet, this is the best $20 I have ever spent! I have loved watching the older episodes and rewatching the boathouse explosion which is one of my favorites episodes of all times. I really, really hope this DVD is doing well so we have the opportunity to get more.

six
Member Avatar

For those who own the set - is there enough drama and good performances in the episodes for them to be entertaining for someone who's unfamiliar with the show, or is it mostly holding your interests because you know the characters?

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I love spotting familiar performers in unexpected roles. The 1981 episode had a brief appearance by Dana Delaney and the "Lucy" character with John is none other than Linda Cook who'd previously played Laurie Ann Karr on "Edge of Night" and would later play Egypt Masters on "Loving". And I freaking LOVED Tom & Margo's "Come as you are" wedding. I'd always heard about it (it's pretty legendary), and it didn't disappoint. I also loved seeing Kim Johnston Ulrich (Diana; ex-Ivy, PSNS) bail Christian LeBlanc (Kirk; Michael, Y&R) out of jail. lol Also, I never realized exactly how much Betsy Von Furstenburg really favored Eileen Fulton from certain angles and it's easy to see why she was cast in the role when Eileen left. What a lot of people might not know about BVF is that she's actually a (I believe German) baroness by birth.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply