Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Soaps 'Biggest Blunders'; Digest Singles out the Worse Mistakes In Daytime History
Topic Started: Oct 28 2011, 01:53 PM (2,595 Views)
james0479
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Nov 2 2011, 03:49 AM
james0479
Oct 29 2011, 11:14 AM
TFP! Personally, I disagree about Melaswen being the number one soap blunder EVER! Surely, we've seen worse on daytime. I had to remind myself that Melaswen was a different story than the Salem Serial Killer. The Killer storyline was fantastic to me. I was freaked out, worried, mad, riveted, sad and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. I literally was on the edge of my seat! Then, it was all destroyed with what I WOULD call a massive blunder......the reveal that Marlena was the killer. I've always found that to be all wrong. For one, she was possessed and making her the killer was too much. Then, after realizing she was the killer, I knew we were about to go into looney tune land....and boy did we! I thought the killer should've been Teck,
or whatever his name was. While I didn't want all those characters to die, if you are going to Go There, then do it!

Now, I know Reilly had a different way this story was going to go.
He got permission to tell it and he did. Corday got worried cold feet way into it and demanded a different ending. Enter Melaswen (New Salem backwards)..... Marlena literally falls down a fucking rabbit hole and enters this island replica of Salem and the dead are being held hostage....all alive! Ok, I kind of give kudos to Reilly for coming up with any way to undo the story that played for nearly a year, a story initially approved and then had to change ASAP. Corday messed that story up! I would love to know what the original Salem Killer story Reilly had in mind was...from beginning to end. Had he told THAT story,we probably wouldn't have visited Melaswen......but we'd also have lost some major characters.....but that would have been riveting and it was for a while.

Melaswen's biggest failure was the length of the story. Once we landed on that island,it was a year or so before we got off. Wrong couples were trapped together in a desire to up the ante and it started to get a bit skeezy. I'm literally shocked they didn't have Jack and Cassie do the dirty deed! Lol. There were SO many times you thought they were going to all escape or be rescued but it just went on and on and on. Much like this post. Lol

Melaswen was a disaster in the end but I dont know that I fully blame Reilly for that. He came up with an emergency rewrite at, from what I've heard, the last minute and he tried to expand upon that story and it just didn't work at the end of the day. While it was a blunder, I still don't think it should be number one! I'd rather watch an hour of Melaswen than 3 seconds of Carrie and Mike flying on a fucking magic carpet.
Marlena didn't fall into a rabbit hole, she went there via a fflying coffin elevator? I'm still trying to figure out how that one worked.

And as bad as all that, it did have one of my favorite lines when Roman said not to worry, he had SPOONS. Laughed my ass off on that one.

It was a really bad storyline.

Did anyone ever believe Marlena was the actual killer?

While Iraqistan was bad, Stami was golden. That actor had Sami down to a T.
Oh yea! I forgot about the coffin. I viewed it as a rabbit hole type thing but you are right. Geez, that was a long year.
Agree with the other poster, it didn't start off bad. I think involving pretty much the entire cast may have looked great on paper as a massive umbrella story...but it went to shit fairly quickly. Poor Reilly!

The spoons line!!!!! I remember that. LMAO

Stami was gold gold gold! That guy nailed it! He was awesome
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

james0479
Member Avatar

Drew
Nov 2 2011, 12:02 AM
No single story could ever rank as one of the biggest blunders in daytime history.
Agreed! There's been too many on every show to pick a number one

six
Member Avatar

I can't agree with the one on Phillip's death. It ramped up the animosity between Kay and Jill and there were some good stories between Nina/Kay/Jill, too. I guess things could have changed (maybe with a recast) bu Phillip was really more of a prop than a true character. The abomination was the "Phillip is Cane" and the "Phillip is alive" stories. My vote for Y&R is the death of John Abbott. They killed off the only consistently warm and loving head of a family that the show had. I'm sure they know they screwed up. That's why John's ghost gets more airtime than some of the living cast.

FanODays

Initially the serial killer storyline was fascinating as clues were dropped left and right and while I hated seeing some of my favorites go, I was willing to deal with it. Then, as stated above, Corday panicked and everything went wrong and it was in many ways the beginning of the end of Days.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

DOOL should have carried the top 9 all on its own. #10 should have went to OLTL for hiring Dena Higley. I think the show wouldn't be going off the air if they hadn't spent 3 years with that Hack of the highest order at the helm butchering it and all its rich history.
Edited by ElvisDiMera, Nov 2 2011, 11:28 AM.

james0479
Member Avatar

ElvisDiMera
Nov 2 2011, 11:27 AM
DOOL should have carried the top 9 all on its own. #10 should have went to OLTL for hiring Dena Higley. I think the show wouldn't be going off the air if they hadn't spent 3 years with that Hack of the highest order at the helm butchering it and all its rich history.
Lol.....Number One should have simply said: Dena Higley

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

Mitch trying to rape his own daughter was way worse than Marty/Todd.

OldDaysFankat

Storylines should never be in the top 10. OLTL was ruined as was GH and AMC when Disney bought ABC and they started dinking around with all the shows although I do agree for GH killing off the Quartermaine family was probably the worst thing that show ever did.

OLTL has had a slew of bad writers. AMC was killed when they decided to focus on the same dull 4 characters for years(Zach, Kendall, Greenlee, Ryan). Y&R was killed when they fired all of Bill Bells self appointed people to drive the vision for Y&R and replaced them with Barbara Blooms LML fixation.

Days was Reilly part 2 followed by Hogan Sheffer. Worst decisions they ever made.

happy
Member Avatar

I agree that Melaswen should top the list.

koos

How about Reva Shayne coming back from the dead? As much as I love her, it probably shouldn't have happened. At least, not the horrible way in which they wrote the story.

Checkers
Member Avatar

koos
Nov 4 2011, 07:04 PM
How about Reva Shayne coming back from the dead? As much as I love her, it probably shouldn't have happened. At least, not the horrible way in which they wrote the story.
I disagree Reva coming back from the dead gave me crazy Annie Dutton.

koos

It also gave us the clone story, the time traveling through a painting story, San Cristobal, Jeffrey...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply