Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday November 3rd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Nov 2 2011, 08:53 AM (6,391 Views)
nanasmiles

You know? I keep reading where people here and elsewhere on other boards say, "I'll watch today, but not tomorrow." Or, "I won't watch any episode with so-and-so on, just the other couples I like." Well, if people keep just watching here and there, the show is bound for cancellation. Don't you people have ANY idea that you have to support the ENTIRE show to keep the ENTIRE show on the air?!?!?!?!? Days is the ENTIRE cast, not just your favorite couple or actor or story lines! GET REAL! If this show gets cancelled, there should not be any moaning and lamenting from any of the posters who watch, "only such and such episodes!!!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

lysie
Nov 2 2011, 08:50 PM
Sigh. The Rafe stuff. I'm not opposed to the idea in general, but it doesn't work for Rafe. It doesn't work for Rafe because he's the only person in that house we've seen cook and pick up the kids. So now suddenly that he has all the time in the world to do it, he can't manage it? They really have no clue how poorly they've written Sami.

That scene also didn't work because the "mess" Rafe made wasn't that big, despite the fact that Gabi noticed all the nothing Rafe was covered in. I also couldn't even tell what went wrong in the microwave. You'd think it be easy to make him look incompetent, but it turns out it's kind of a feat.
They were just trying to redo the 80's movie "Mr. Mom"... which has been redone already in countless sitcoms and movies. ie, the entire 9 season run of Full House. It's a cheap gag but at the expense of any greater storyline in that episode.

lysie
Member Avatar

nanasmiles
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8647414&t=8600061
You know? I keep reading where people here and elsewhere on other boards say, "I'll watch today, but not tomorrow." Or, "I won't watch any episode with so-and-so on, just the other couples I like." Well, if people keep just watching here and there, the show is bound for cancellation. Don't you people have ANY idea that you have to support the ENTIRE show to keep the ENTIRE show on the air?!?!?!?!? Days is the ENTIRE cast, not just your favorite couple or actor or story lines! GET REAL! If this show gets cancelled, there should not be any moaning and lamenting from any of the posters who watch, "only such and such episodes!!!"

Only Nielsen viewers have to support the whole show to keep it on the air. While I'm not the type to only watch certain people's scenes, it certainly won't be those people's fault if the show fails. That lies solely on the TPTB. If they wrote a full show that was worth watching, this wouldn't be a problem. Though, I do agree that it's harder (for me at least...and I'm pretty irrelevant) to take complaints seriously from those who are only watching certain scenes. I mean, if you FF through one character, you really have no reason to complain about that character, lol. That's why I watch the whole show. If I'm going to complain, and we all know I am, I'm going to know what I'm talking about. That's my preference, though. Everyone doesn't have to abide by it.

Ellie
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8647415&t=8600061
lysie
Nov 2 2011, 08:50 PM
Sigh. The Rafe stuff. I'm not opposed to the idea in general, but it doesn't work for Rafe. It doesn't work for Rafe because he's the only person in that house we've seen cook and pick up the kids. So now suddenly that he has all the time in the world to do it, he can't manage it? They really have no clue how poorly they've written Sami.

That scene also didn't work because the "mess" Rafe made wasn't that big, despite the fact that Gabi noticed all the nothing Rafe was covered in. I also couldn't even tell what went wrong in the microwave. You'd think it be easy to make him look incompetent, but it turns out it's kind of a feat.
They were just trying to redo the 80's movie "Mr. Mom"... which has been redone already in countless sitcoms and movies. ie, the entire 9 season run of Full House. It's a cheap gag but at the expense of any greater storyline in that episode.

I get what they're doing. It's just silly since it was only a couple of weeks ago that he did all these things onscreen with no problem. There are plenty of cheap gags out there that could totally work.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sparrow

The Bo and Hope scenes sound really sweet and romantic. I hope it doesn't play out corny. It's been so long since I've seen honest to goodness romance on this show, I'm not so sure I'll recognize it when I see it.

sals4
Member Avatar

nanasmiles
Nov 2 2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Nana!! How are you! I really appreciate you're overwhelming concern for the show's cancellation.Believe me we all are! I have watched the show for 20 years and I am 30! I have since then had an adorable 3 year old who loooves to hijack our only television set. And for all my fellow moms/days fans out there, we simply must DVR our show (right moms!) I work night shift in a hospital here in Canada and spend my days in and out of consciousness while my little dumpling prides herself in either sitting on my face or ramming her fingers or rather large object up my nostrils to wake me up. The only time I have to watch my soap is for the 20 minutes after I put my child to sleep before passing out on the couch and my husband awakens me to remind me who I am and where I am. Yes I zoom through most of it and look forward to my JnJ scenes and look forward to sharing how awesome the scenes were with my awesome fellow JnJers that I just found on this awesome board. It;s easy to If I could watch the whole thing I would! however I don't think my zooming through my already DVRed show will affect the shows ratings or cause it's cancellation!

Panda

That Rafe bit is really stupid considering they've been showing Sami to be the one sleeping in while Rafe makes breakfast, gets the kids to school, and basically saving the day because Sami is too tuckered out from doing nothing for quite some time and since she started working, that's been the case even more so. For him to be suddenly unable to handle things, especially when he's not working makes no sense. I get they were going for some humor, but it falls flat when it's the exact opposite of what we've been seeing for ages.

jonphil25

Actually when I'm feeling good, I can handle everything with ease. When I'm down, I tend to let the little things like cleaning, laundry go by the way side. I think it's realistic that Rafe would be a little depressed right now and therefore not handling everything as well as he did a couple of weeks ago.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Loved, loved, LOVED the Bo/Hope impromptu, personal vow renewal where they referenced Oak Alley repeatedly as well as the England wedding and the Christmas wedding. How MarDar can write such romantic couple stuff accurately while fucking everything else up is beyond me. And, dare I say it, but I actually found the website storyline interesting today and I didn't have a problem with Chad telling the dork he was a DiMera. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the desired result. Also, whoever is in charge of wardrobe needs to be sued for malpractice. What the FUCK was Carrie in? An electric blue jersey dress with a full skirt (that screamed "bright and bland") over navy blue stockings/tights/leggings? um... WHAT?! :shame:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

Pretty much all I wanted to say about today was WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL did the wardrobe crew have Carrie wearing today?

lastDays
Member Avatar

Most asinine scenes today -Rafe as bumbling house husband.Its a sterotype used since the begin ining of time.

graceadler
Member Avatar

nanasmiles
when the show gets cancelled the person to blame will be Ken Corday, not me or anyone else on this board. If the entire show was watchable, I'd watch it but it ain't so I don't. I watch for John and Marlena and only for them. If they aren't on, I delete that show from my DVR unwatched. I don't have a nielson box so my viewing doesn't count toward the ratings anyway but if I did, i would still only watch on J&M days. I don't fault other people for doing the same with their favorites.

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

I mean I do complain about certain stuff but I do watch every episode even though there is some stuff that I find boring and even if my favorite characters are not there on a particular day I watch them anyway. I never just skip watching an episode if people do chose to do that then they can feel free to do so. Maybe they watch for their own particular reasons. But I do watch every episode whether I find it boring or not.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Awh, Bope was great today. I loved all the references to their past, especially their weddings. They were sweet and emotional without veering into schmaltzy. Their private renewal was just perfect.

As to everything else... bleh. Can't care about the website story. And it's a shame because I think all these young guys are pretty likable. Like so many of the stories right now, it is completely lacking urgency and consequences. As far as I can tell, they could spend the next 3 months investigating this and, even then, I have no idea what the fallout is supposed to be.

I don't get Rafe's sudden ineptness. I appreciate MarDar trying to add layers to the character, but do they have to be inconsistent to do so? DH tried for years to make Rafe more interesting and looks like MarDar is going to give it everything they got too. My question is why bother? It's not like GG is a great actor, that Rafe is a historic character or that he is even essential to the canvas. Just don't see the point of the effort to make Rafe a better character, why not just dump him instead?

It's not that John's story is a bad concept, but it's taking forever to unfold. Again, there is absolutely no movement or urgency. I get the consequences are that John could go to jail, but they need to play out some interesting beats along the way to keep the story engaging. I feel like it's been nothing but filler and will continue to be filler until the trial.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

Considering I did'nt fall asleep, I guess I owe it to myself to give a recap :cheers:

Least favorite scenes

Will/Sonny/Chad- Three things that I hate about this story, let`s go down the list shall we? . 1. I can careless about Will, he is the most boring teen that ever hit Salem. 2. I like Sonny but his whole website is as as lame as they come, where is the progress in the story? NONE! ! 3. Chad is my favorite teen on the show, he is a DIMERA for crying out loud, why exactly is he in this story? Now that I got that out the way, the whole confrontation with the guy that suppoesely had something to do with his website was stupid. The only good part was when Chad told him do you know who I am? SHOWCASE THOSE GENES CHAD :rockon:

Satisfactory scenes

Bope- Although I am beyond tired of them renewing their wedding vows, I thought their scenes were bittersweet. I am just tired of them getting married, can the writers be original for once? I do love the remarks they made about each other, these two are a legendary couple. I loved when Bo said "I will fulfilled, because I could`nt pick a better partner, to spend my life with" , but I hope Hope meant that this was her favorite wedding, because they don`t need another wedding to strengthen their marriage. I also love how they said that opposite attract,when referring to Victor and Maggie, it is hard to believe Bo was a reckless kid growing up, but he got the sweet and innocent Hope.

John/Marlena/Carrie- I am glad that Carrie is back ( wow I did`nt just say that did I? :tounge: ). I believe I am only delighted because I want her to work after hours afters with a certain someone, I am sure you know who that is. It was great seeing her work in the case and how she is supportive over John being the victim. Did anyone else think that the Dimeras tampered with John memory? I did love the Robo John so I would love that twist but I don`t think that would explain what he is put on trail for? :shrug: I am not that familiar with his history, but judging. from what I read on here, he would never steal.

Rafe/Gabby- Rafe trying to be Mr. Mom, was lame but it was kinda funny how he burned up every thing. This bothers me a lil bit,because I thought he knew how to cook? I thought he cooked for Sami a few times, how does he almost burn the kitchen? Anyway, I thought their scenes were brief, but well deserved. I assume that it was Sami that Rafe was talking too? ( THANK GOD, she was not on the show today. I actually like Rafe when he is not with her :o . Gabby should have helped her brother (or at least figure out why her boyfriend would rather hang with the guys than her :doh: ), because today she seemed pointless and forgettable.

- I thought it was pretty predictable how Carrie just gave Rafe a job, it was so plot driven. John sensed that Sami doubt his inncence because Rafe did no immediately call Sami to tell him that he has found work again.

- I love how Marlena does not value her daughter opinion about John, I knew she would grow on me :D . Not impressed if the Dimeras turn out to be behind John`s trial, such a waste of a story.

- Rafe and Carrie were the highlight of the show Those two have some serious chemistry, Carrie looked like she was nervous when she was talking to Rafe. It seems like she was a bit too thankful that he is working with her, the whole giggling like he was her crush. Please writers I beg you pair them together, let them have some hot sex. Let them tear each other clothes off, and show them what others are missing. Whew, let it happen, writers, I beg you, I would be a huge fan of them individually! Rafe told Carrie about his disaster in the kitchen, and how he is grateful that he had a job.

It was a satisfactory show, nothing too great.

Overall grade-C

bohope80s
Member Avatar

I am liking the new days for the most part (NOT the eggbaby)...There is room for improvement though...Carrie's blue dress was nice, the blue tights NOT so nice!...Bo & Hope impromptu vows was EXCELLENT! Just the two of them it was perfectly written with 1 very minor flaw, Hope mentioned being married in England in Westminster Abbey...they were not married there, they were married in a church in the Cotswolds.

The website story is okay, the three guys are very talented and it could use some improvement but its not awful.

Everyone wants John's story to hurry up....good suspense is building up the story not hurrying to finish it. Back in the 80's (the best time of this soap imo) it would take 6 months for a story to clear up...For instance the prism storyline, started in June of 1984 and didn't finish until February of 1985! Granted the writing was phenominal back then and it could be again!

Kenny
Member Avatar

graceadler
Nov 3 2011, 01:45 PM
nanasmiles
when the show gets cancelled the person to blame will be Ken Corday, not me or anyone else on this board. If the entire show was watchable, I'd watch it but it ain't so I don't.
Yep.

The responsibility to save this show from cancellation lies on the shoulders of Ken Corday -- not the fans. It's asinine to suggest that viewers should feel obligated to watch every single episode and every single scene even when the stories suck in the name of being a "good fan." That's ridiculous. Why should fans have to put forth more effort in trying to enjoy the show than the writers do in making it watchable?

How about writing a good show and getting fans to tune in that way? Is that so foreign a concept?

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Kenny
Nov 3 2011, 02:25 PM
graceadler
Nov 3 2011, 01:45 PM
nanasmiles
when the show gets cancelled the person to blame will be Ken Corday, not me or anyone else on this board. If the entire show was watchable, I'd watch it but it ain't so I don't.
Yep.

The responsibility to save this show from cancellation lies on the shoulders of Ken Corday -- not the fans. It's asinine to suggest that viewers should feel obligated to watch every single episode and every single scene even when the stories suck in the name of being a "good fan." That's ridiculous. Why should fans have to put forth more effort in trying to enjoy the show than the writers do in making it watchable?

How about writing a good show and getting fans to tune in that way? Is that so foreign a concept?
ITA...WE are the customers....basic customer service rule....make the customers HAPPY....if the customers aren't happy they don't do what you want them to do, whether it's to shop at your store, go back to that doctor with the bitchy secretary or view your program, it's up to THEM to please us. If I don't like what I'm seeing, then I can choose to continue watching it out of habit and hoping it gets better, or just say, I'll pick and choose my Days of watching until I have nothing that interests me anymore and I stop watching all together. They should be happy that at least some of us are giving this show a chance again after being screwed over one time too many. The stories aren't compelling, they are frankly a bit boring and the ONLY thing that I appreciate is that I recognize the faces now....I couldn't say that about 6 months ago.
Edited by LuvingLumi, Nov 3 2011, 02:38 PM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

bohope80s
Nov 3 2011, 02:13 PM
Everyone wants John's story to hurry up....good suspense is building up the story not hurrying to finish it. Back in the 80's (the best time of this soap imo) it would take 6 months for a story to clear up...For instance the prism storyline, started in June of 1984 and didn't finish until February of 1985! Granted the writing was phenominal back then and it could be again!
I'm down for a slow burn when I believe it's high stakes. Here...white collar criminal, I'm not so concerned. Maybe they should've left him in jail. I also feel like appropriate pacing would be a couple weeks of taunting viewers about the truth, followed by several months where we know and the characters have no idea.

Quote:

If the show gets canceled because they can't draw viewers, that's their own fault. They only really have to produce about 36 minutes of story per episode. If they can't hold people's attention through all of that, that's also their fault.

But the thing about the boards- people identifying specifically what they like and don't, what they'll watch and won't, is a frickin' gift to the people who make this show. If they didn't film so far in advance, they could adapt accordingly and use the feedback to their advantage. So I'm a little bothered when people are chastised for not vowing to watch everything presented at all times, because I think this specific feedback could easily be used to get the show to a point where people are less apt to say "I'm not going to watch because..." JMHO of course.

Kenny
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Nov 3 2011, 02:05 PM
It's not that John's story is a bad concept, but it's taking forever to unfold. Again, there is absolutely no movement or urgency. I get the consequences are that John could go to jail, but they need to play out some interesting beats along the way to keep the story engaging. I feel like it's been nothing but filler and will continue to be filler until the trial.
Me too.

It's been the same conversation over and over and over since the day John was arrested. There has been no excitement, no sense of urgency, just the same conversation over and over -- with not only John and Marlena, but Sami/Rafe and Carrie/Austin as well.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

I'm down for a slow burn when I believe it's high stakes. Here...white collar criminal, I'm not so concerned.
Right?

We've already seen John on trial for murder and we watched him nearly be executed in the gas chamber for a crime he didn't commit. By comparison, pension fund theft seems like child's play.

(Skip to 7:00)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply