Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday November 3rd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Nov 2 2011, 08:53 AM (6,390 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

It's sad when the boys' website story has seen more storyline movement than John's embezzlement story. I have NO trouble with a story taking months and months (or YEARS) to tell, but there are typically other substories (and beats and character moments) occured in the meantime to fill the story out. There are no secondary stories or events going on underneath the main embezzlement story to drag it out without it getting boring. The only story IS the embezzlement story. In the old days, if Carrie was searching for that witness, the search for that witness would've been the secondary story and we would've SEEN that on-screen and that would take a couple of weeks and then something would happen to that witness (an "accident"). Meanwhile, Carrie would mysteriously disappear. Naturally, Austin would race to search for her (against SEC orders to remain in Salem) with Rafe along to help (secretly annoying Sami). Meanwhile, a radical band of Salem residents (i.e. under 5s and extra) form a lynch mob (with flames fanned by EJ's mayoral rhetoric) and go after John, resulting in various attempts on John's life (and, by extension, his family). Elsewhere, Jack goes back to The Spectator to cover the election (putting him in contact and conflict with Jennifer) as well as how it's tied into John's embezzlement case....

I feel like MarDar are only telling half a story.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 3 2011, 02:49 PM
It's sad when the boys' website story has seen more storyline movement than John's embezzlement story. I have NO trouble with a story taking months and months (or YEARS) to tell, but there are typically other substories (and beats and character moments) occured in the meantime to fill the story out. There are no secondary stories or events going on underneath the main embezzlement story to drag it out without it getting boring. The only story IS the embezzlement story. In the old days, if Carrie was searching for that witness, the search for that witness would've been the secondary story and we would've SEEN that on-screen and that would take a couple of weeks and then something would happen to that witness (an "accident"). Meanwhile, Carrie would mysteriously disappear. Naturally, Austin would race to search for her (against SEC orders to remain in Salem) with Rafe along to help (secretly annoying Sami). Meanwhile, a radical band of Salem residents (i.e. under 5s and extra) form a lynch mob (with flames fanned by EJ's mayoral rhetoric) and go after John, resulting in various attempts on John's life (and, by extension, his family). Elsewhere, Jack goes back to The Spectator to cover the election (putting him in contact and conflict with Jennifer) as well as how it's tied into John's embezzlement case....

It took you, what... two, three minutes to come up with that?

It's not that difficult to tell a slow-burn story and still keep it exciting. It's about giving the illusion that everything is coming to a head even if it isn't. It's about building suspense. It's about keeping viewers excited. Even if the foundation of the plot remains stagnant, viewers will continue to watch as long as things are happening and the characters are "on." You can't just put J&M in a room and have them repeat the same conversation over and over for months at a time and let that be the extent of the story. There has to be more to keep viewers interested and excited.

I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but I think it's relevant here as well...
Quote:

A good example of breaking up the stagnancy is 1997 when Kristen found out Laura was having Peter's body exhumed. It prompted an enormous freak-out from Kristen, we were reminded of the stakes and then a plan was devised to resolve the situation ("Oh my God, she's going to ruin my life! We have to get to that body before Laura does or she'll find out it's not Peter in the coffin and everything will be ruined. We're digging up that grave and we're digging it up tonight!"). In the end, nothing of immediate importance happened because Kristen's plan worked, but there was an incredible sense of urgency and a feeling of, "Oh shit, everything is about to unravel. Must keep watching!" Even for the viewers who were smart enough to know Kristen wouldn't be exposed that early, it still broke up the stagnancy and allowed the characters to be pro-active and "on" rather than just sitting around talking as the story lazily drifted along.

It's like I've said all along: romance and lightness is fine, but we need drama. I don't believe for one second that the majority of soap viewers tune in to watch so-and-so suck face all day or to watch so-and-so have the same lethargic conversation they've had fifteen times before. Talking is fine -- necessary, even -- but people watch because they want to be entertained. They want to be held in suspense. They want to fall in love as the characters fall in love. They want the full experience -- not just half of it.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I feel like the Rafe stuff is pandering to stay-at-home mothers- ooh it's soooo difficult (which I have no doubt that it is)- and that's why his incompetence was exaggerated. That, and they apparently want to riff on Mr. Mom.

Bo/Hope are clearly in their own little universe, the actors appear to just be having a good time. I've become a fan, I think.

Carrie's outfit is...what it is. The shape of it is throwing me...the bottom half (when the coat was on) was bizarre. Big. With the color (and with Kate's clothes yesterday) I wonder if some of the costumes look different in person and they just aren't reading well on camera.

The website story seems intended solely as a vehicle for exploring these characters. But the characters...they're a bit bland. I expect more out of Sami/Lucas's kid. And the newest Dimera (who probably should have been Tony's son, since Stefano is clearly 105 years old at this point).

Holy crap Rafe is fast. And wasn't Gabi supposed to gather the herd, not clean the apartment?

Not gonna make it through today. Seems cute and all but...not holding my interest.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 3 2011, 02:49 PM

DING, DING, DING!!!! It's not the fact that the story takes months to tell - the best stories usually do. It's that nothing is happening along the way - no beats, no urgency, no near-miss situations. I dont' care that it's months between the arrest and the trial, but we need things along the way to keep us engaged. They already have some elements in place, they just need to add some stakes and some urgency to them. As any easy example - there should have been a frantic search to find the cafe witness before the DiMeras whisked him away never to be seen again. There is simply no drama.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Kate's outfits have more layers than any of the stories currently being told.

Ellie

Matt
Nov 3 2011, 03:26 PM
Kate's outfits have more layers than any of the stories currently being told.
Hah!! LOVE IT!

Ellie

px780
Nov 3 2011, 03:22 PM
Bo/Hope are clearly in their own little universe, the actors appear to just be having a good time.
You know what, that's exactly it. And the weird thing is that this is also Dena-ish. She'd just write cutesy scenes for them (or anyone) with no real greater story. Yes I know she also broke them up, but my point is that while I really am happy for their fans for this vow renewal and the apology speech and everything else, it would be nice if PR and KA's acting skills were actually being utilized. I feel like this is somewhere in between the Santeen letter-reading, and a real story. They're not just narrating someone else's story, but they don't really have their own, either. Even if the investigation were more, well, layered, that would help. Bo's investigating something, it puts him in danger, Hope needs to solve some type of mystery to help him, the more she finds out the more she herself gets trapped, just when it looks like things are horrible for both of them, Bo finds the key to the entire thing which takes both of them out of danger... that would be an investigation story that's actually a story. Kenny brought up Aremid which is an excellent example... the more people found out about what was going on, the more it affected their own lives. But here, Bope are just kind of going from lawyer's office to lawyer's office, with no drama added at all to what they're supposed to be checking into.

mlester

I am so disappointed that the shows have been so boring lately. I wish things would pick up!!!

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

THE FLOATING HEAD IS THE MINISTER IN BOPE'S VOW EXCHANGE!! :cheer:

whew.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Do Bo & Hope have a home anymore?

And it's not a big deal, but, I just find it weird that every time Marlena leaves the room she comes back with a glass of water lmao.

Ginger
Member Avatar

nanasmiles
Nov 2 2011, 09:20 PM
You know? I keep reading where people here and elsewhere on other boards say, "I'll watch today, but not tomorrow." Or, "I won't watch any episode with so-and-so on, just the other couples I like." Well, if people keep just watching here and there, the show is bound for cancellation. Don't you people have ANY idea that you have to support the ENTIRE show to keep the ENTIRE show on the air?!?!?!?!? Days is the ENTIRE cast, not just your favorite couple or actor or story lines! GET REAL! If this show gets cancelled, there should not be any moaning and lamenting from any of the posters who watch, "only such and such episodes!!!"
I don't think there's any doubt the show is on it's way to cancellation right now. The only question that remains is how long will it take.

Tammy
Member Avatar

nanasmiles
Nov 2 2011, 09:20 PM
You know? I keep reading where people here and elsewhere on other boards say, "I'll watch today, but not tomorrow." Or, "I won't watch any episode with so-and-so on, just the other couples I like." Well, if people keep just watching here and there, the show is bound for cancellation. Don't you people have ANY idea that you have to support the ENTIRE show to keep the ENTIRE show on the air?!?!?!?!? Days is the ENTIRE cast, not just your favorite couple or actor or story lines! GET REAL! If this show gets cancelled, there should not be any moaning and lamenting from any of the posters who watch, "only such and such episodes!!!"
You know? If the whole show was watchable... people would watch it!

Alana
Member Avatar

I hope it won't take too long because there's a wonderful , exciting life outside of KC's "Days of our miserable life"!

This show is doomed ...we know it...the actors know it...I just hope doomsday arrives soon!!

Ginger
Member Avatar

This show is a good example of one of the guiding tenets of Mar/Dar's concept of soap opera writing. Today's principle:

Pander to a fan base. Don't worry whether the scenes further the drama. Just make sure that the preferred fan bases are happy.

Proof: Bo and Hope reciting vows for the umpteenth time. Bope fans will eat it up.

Proof: Rafe does Mr. Mom. Rafe fans wet themselves. Everyone else nods off.

Ho hum.

lysie
Member Avatar

The candle placement in this first scene is awkward. That's right. I'll criticize anything. Candle placement. Wardrobe. Facial expressions. Earlobe location.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

These Rafe scenes are still annoying and inaccurate.

lysie
Member Avatar

Um. Will needs to shave. Remember when Will was a baby? What a big eared, sad child.

lysie
Member Avatar

Carrie's coat makes her look incredibly hippy.

lysie
Member Avatar

Good grief. Why is Gabi still on this show?

Marlena's...tea set? is also placed badly. Carrie needs to LOSE THAT COAT! She looks like a 1910 British nanny. And really? Oh no the witness's phone battery died and that's today's drama? Well, okay.

lysie
Member Avatar

MOVE. THE. CANDLES!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply