Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday November 3rd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Nov 2 2011, 08:53 AM (6,517 Views)
Hamilton
Member Avatar

I was all into the Bo and Hope renewal. Beautifully done. Bo wearing his black leather jacket to propose in . . . brilliant! KA and PR bring such easy charm to this couple. I will always love them together.

Interesting choice to make Rafe scattered in the kitchen when we've seen him take control of the household many times in the past. But, I don't think they've ever alluded to him cooking for the whole family. I know he has made tamales for Sami, but didn't he say that was the only thing he knew how to make? I agree with the person who said when things in your life are in disarray that can transfer to other areas easily. I think the scene was more about his lack of focus at present.

Glad Carrie is back and we'll see movement on John's story. Really great that John called out Sami's lack of support and how it worked on his own self confidence. I'm also happy he finally shared his flashback with Marlena.

The boys and their web-site drama was just okay for me. I did laugh when Will went in the dorm room and said, "That's a lot of hard drive." Oh those dialogue writers....get it right next time.
Chad bringing in his DiMera heritage was excellent. Loved that he tossed that out along with Will mentioning his families PD ties.
Sonny came off wimpy worrying about the hacker being a linebacker. lol I just wish the story had more excitement to it.

Carrie and Rafe...as I've said before.....I'm looking for unpredictable conflict and drama. So please Mar/Dar surprise me and don't go there. There has to be more to these characters than that.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Nov 3 2011, 07:32 PM
I liked Rafe's Mr Mom scenes.
Just out of curiosity, why? It didn't bother you at all that we've seen him do all those things perfectly competently within the last three weeks?

michellematthews

lysie
Nov 3 2011, 07:30 PM
Has anyone else seen the Samantha Gene commercial?
YES! I saw it today and was like, am i hearing right?! Did i just hear Samantha Gene! lol

Ellie

lysie
Nov 3 2011, 07:37 PM
DrewHamilton
Nov 3 2011, 07:32 PM
I liked Rafe's Mr Mom scenes.
Just out of curiosity, why? It didn't bother you at all that we've seen him do all those things perfectly competently within the last three weeks?
What bothered me about it was that it was just a quick and easy one-show thing, which isn't really the right approach for soaps. It's fine for one night of a 26-episode-a-season sitcom, but for a show where drama needs to build, there's no reason for it.

lysie
Member Avatar

michellematthews
Nov 3 2011, 07:37 PM
lysie
YES! I saw it today and was like, am i hearing right?! Did i just hear Samantha Gene! lol
LOL. I rewound.

elizhope
Member Avatar

Loved the Bope renewal today. :wub: Us Bope fans needed this after the Dena 2010 trainwreck. It was sweet, romantic and perfect! :wub:

But why cant Bo and Hope ever have THEIR OWN EXCITING STORY??? I am soooo sick of my favorites being used as props and window dressing. :frustration:
Edited by elizhope, Nov 3 2011, 07:41 PM.

bohope80s
Member Avatar

The Bope scenes were perfectttt..The leather jacket was the best, he needs to wear this more often and please Peter put that hair back on your face!!!!!

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 3 2011, 02:33 PM
tomsawyer
Nov 3 2011, 02:05 PM
It's not that John's story is a bad concept, but it's taking forever to unfold. Again, there is absolutely no movement or urgency. I get the consequences are that John could go to jail, but they need to play out some interesting beats along the way to keep the story engaging. I feel like it's been nothing but filler and will continue to be filler until the trial.
Me too.

It's been the same conversation over and over and over since the day John was arrested. There has been no excitement, no sense of urgency, just the same conversation over and over -- with not only John and Marlena, but Sami/Rafe and Carrie/Austin as well.
It'd be one thing if they had J&M go on the run or they find a clue to what's really going on, so they go undercover or something to figure it out. Make it breathtaking... Make it exciting! Have Marlena fake her own kidnapping to free John while they search for the truth with help from Carrie, Rafe, Bo and Hope. Let there be surprise elements!

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 3 2011, 07:00 PM
lysie
Nov 3 2011, 06:55 PM
Marlena's...tea set? is also placed badly.
I was thinking about that. Those type of things looked half normal in the penthouse, where they were clearly living in luxury and there was ostensibly a cook in the kitchen getting the thing ready. Same goes for the DiMera mansion. But in their little townhouse, it just doesn't look normal for her to serve tea like that.

Overall I saw quite a few casualties of the new taping schedule today. People getting in each others' shots, props in the wrong places, things like that.
I kind of want their old house back! Their RoJohn & Marlena house! The penthouse can go. After that stupid druggie story took place there and the Alex stuff. Goodbye penthouse.

michellematthews

I did like the Bope scenes today! They were super cute.

michellematthews

The Room Stops
Nov 3 2011, 08:31 PM
Kenny
Nov 3 2011, 02:33 PM
tomsawyer
Nov 3 2011, 02:05 PM
It's not that John's story is a bad concept, but it's taking forever to unfold. Again, there is absolutely no movement or urgency. I get the consequences are that John could go to jail, but they need to play out some interesting beats along the way to keep the story engaging. I feel like it's been nothing but filler and will continue to be filler until the trial.
Me too.

It's been the same conversation over and over and over since the day John was arrested. There has been no excitement, no sense of urgency, just the same conversation over and over -- with not only John and Marlena, but Sami/Rafe and Carrie/Austin as well.
It'd be one thing if they had J&M go on the run or they find a clue to what's really going on, so they go undercover or something to figure it out. Make it breathtaking... Make it exciting! Have Marlena fake her own kidnapping to free John while they search for the truth with help from Carrie, Rafe, Bo and Hope. Let there be surprise elements!
now that would be fun to watch!! something to keep you on the edge of your seat!

Ellie

I just remembered another comment I was going to make on today's show, regarding all the "a snowstorm is coming" dialogue. Now, I know that in Salem it was just Halloween, but nevertheless the dialogue seemed very out of place. I would attribute this to yet another failure on the part of the wardrobe department. There are various ways to convey that it's winter, but the number one way to show the viewers that it's getting cold out is TO DRESS PEOPLE AS IF IT'S GETTING COLD OUT. I'm not sure why this wardrobe team is skipping this completely. Were there really no winter clothes available in late August when they taped this? I'm sure they could have come up with something, and if not, then that's yet another reason to alter the taping schedule.

Also, I know we've had this discussion, but the Horton Town Square must be heated. (I know it has a domed roof, so I guess it's sort of indoors? Maybe?) The lighting from the "roof" is gorgeous, but if they're going to save on winter wardrobe by using this as the "outdoor" location, then they're missing an essential part of winter in Salem. How about having people walk into the Town Square in coats and then take them off? Or is that too much strain on the budget?? Sigh.

lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 3 2011, 09:13 PM
I just remembered another comment I was going to make on today's show, regarding all the "a snowstorm is coming" dialogue. Now, I know that in Salem it was just Halloween, but nevertheless the dialogue seemed very out of place. I would attribute this to yet another failure on the part of the wardrobe department. There are various ways to convey that it's winter, but the number one way to show the viewers that it's getting cold out is TO DRESS PEOPLE AS IF IT'S GETTING COLD OUT. I'm not sure why this wardrobe team is skipping this completely. Were there really no winter clothes available in late August when they taped this? I'm sure they could have come up with something, and if not, then that's yet another reason to alter the taping schedule.

Also, I know we've had this discussion, but the Horton Town Square must be heated. (I know it has a domed roof, so I guess it's sort of indoors? Maybe?) The lighting from the "roof" is gorgeous, but if they're going to save on winter wardrobe by using this as the "outdoor" location, then they're missing an essential part of winter in Salem. How about having people walk into the Town Square in coats and then take them off? Or is that too much strain on the budget?? Sigh.
Taking off their coats would really cut into the time they spend trying to remember their lines.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
I know we've had this discussion, but the Horton Town Square must be heated. (I know it has a domed roof, so I guess it's sort of indoors? Maybe?) The lighting from the "roof" is gorgeous, but if they're going to save on winter wardrobe by using this as the "outdoor" location, then they're missing an essential part of winter in Salem. How about having people walk into the Town Square in coats and then take them off? Or is that too much strain on the budget?? Sigh.
That's one of the things I don't like about the new set. It looks like an outdoor town square, but because it's theoretically domed, we're never going to see rain falling (money saved), we're never going to see snow on the ground (money saved), we're never going to see falling leaves (money saved), we're never going to hear birds chirping or other "outdoor" sounds (money saved in post-production), we're never going to see wind blowing through the trees or tousling a woman's hair (unrealistic stagnancy), we're never going to see seasonally appropriate clothing (money saved on wardrobe) -- and if we do, it won't make sense because the town square is "indoors." Basically, the seasons have been eliminated.

I was initially excited about the new set, but I've come to realize that its creation was only to allow the show to be put together even more cheaply than it was before.

An "outdoor" set with no outdoor staging looks phony.

Ellie

Kenny
Nov 3 2011, 09:38 PM
Ellie
I know we've had this discussion, but the Horton Town Square must be heated. (I know it has a domed roof, so I guess it's sort of indoors? Maybe?) The lighting from the "roof" is gorgeous, but if they're going to save on winter wardrobe by using this as the "outdoor" location, then they're missing an essential part of winter in Salem. How about having people walk into the Town Square in coats and then take them off? Or is that too much strain on the budget?? Sigh.
That's one of the things I don't like about the new set. It looks like an outdoor town square, but because it's theoretically domed, we're never going to see rain falling (money saved), we're never going to see snow on the ground (money saved), we're never going to see falling leaves (money saved), we're never going to hear birds chirping or other "outdoor" sounds (money saved in post-production), we're never going to see wind blowing through the trees or tousling a woman's hair (unrealistic stagnancy), we're never going to see seasonally appropriate clothing (money saved on wardrobe) -- and if we do, it won't make sense because the town square is "indoors." Basically, the seasons have been eliminated.

I was initially excited about the new set, but I've come to realize that its creation was only to allow the show to be put together even more cheaply than it was before.

An "outdoor" set with no outdoor staging looks phony.
Yep, I think it was probably an initial outlay in order to save money in the future. I do like the fact that it's MUCH more spacious and versatile than, say, the Brady Pub or the Cheatin' Heart, two of Dena and Tomlin's favorite all-purpose locations. And I think it's aesthetically very nice looking. But ITA Kenny, it has all of the downsides that you perfectly describe. I used to love all of the fans and the hair blowing! I wish they could find a way to include elements like that. As you're saying, it makes "Salem" seem so much more realistic, and it lends a wintery mood (in this case) to the appropriate stories. Snowstorms in the past have looked like snowstorms. If this one consists of everyone staying indoors and peering through the curtains at the "snow", I'm going to be very disappointed.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 3 2011, 09:43 PM
I used to love all of the fans and the hair blowing! I wish they could find a way to include elements like that.
Me too.

It's little things like that-that make outdoor scenes look so much more realistic.

(Skip to 4:18)

The problem with the town square is that if there's no outdoor staging, it will look fake because we all know that wind blows, cars honk, birds chirp, etc. -- but then if there is outdoor staging, it won't make sense because the town square is domed and, thus, indoors, even though it doesn't look like an indoor plaza at all. So how about taking the dome off and just spending an extra buck or two on a wind machine and some seasonal foliage?

lysie
Member Avatar

I'm pretty sure they could trade Camila Banus for a fan. Or steal her blow dryer when they kick her out.

Ellie

Oooh great clip Kenny! Agree.

lol Lysie - Camila Banus is sooo bad. She wasn't even good with Galen today.

bstreis
Member Avatar
No matter what you think, I DO love you.

lysie
I have. I think it's the little girl from Fockers. I laughed out loud when I saw it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Maybe I'm too much of a simpleton for thinking this way, but... can't afford a wind machine? Grab a piece of poster board and flap like crazy. Can't afford fall foliage? Gather leaves outside. Lights too bright? Throw a sheet over them. I don't understand what is so difficult.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply