Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Showtime Renews 'Dexter' For Two More Seasons
Topic Started: Nov 19 2011, 07:08 AM (404 Views)
KMan101
Member Avatar

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Showtime-Renews-Dexter-1039904.aspx

Dexter has been renewed for two more seasons, Showtime announced on Friday. Star Michael C. Hall has also inked a deal to return.

"The series is bigger than it's ever been in its sixth season, both in terms of audience and its impact on the cultural landscape," Showtime president David Nevins said in a statement. "Together with Michael, the creative team on the show has a very clear sense of where they intend to take the show over the next two seasons."

The Emmy-nominated series, currently in its sixth season, is averaging 5.12 million weekly viewers with all platforms combined. Hall won the 2010 Screen Actors Guild award for his role as the moonlighting serial killer and was nominated for the Best Actor Emmy in 2011.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMan101
Member Avatar

As much as I love the show, I think 8 seasons will be enough. The creative team really need to figure out their endgame.

KMan101
Member Avatar

And just as I expected ...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/showtimes-david-nevins-seasons-7-and-8-of-dexter-will-be-likely-shows-last/

Minutes after Showtime announced a new two-year deal with Dexter star Michael C. Hall and a two-year pickup for the show, I spoke with Showtime entertainment president David Nevins about the deal and the future of Dexter, the network’s highest-rated series. Last month, I reported about a breakdown in the negotiations between Hall and Showtime over a $4 million gap between the $24 million Hall’s reps were reportedly seeking and the $20 million Showtime was offering for a new 2-year contract. (Hall’s existing one is up at the end of the current Season 6.) Today, Nevins declined to discuss financials but stressed that they didn’t drive the deal-making. “It’s been a pretty simple negotiation, and Michael C. Hall has been incredibly gentlemanly throughout the whole process,” Nevins said. “The biggest question was: what is the trajectory of the show creatively? And after speaking with (executive producers) John Goldwyn, Sara Colleton and Scott Buck, it became pretty clear that there was a very clear 3-year trajectory. Once we established that, this became a very simple negotiation, which went down pretty quickly.” The 3-year trajectory includes the current sixth season and the upcoming Seasons 7 and 8. Does it mean that Dexter will end after eight seasons? “I’m not going to say with absolute certainty that this is the end, but that is the likely scenario, that the series is moving towards a definite end,” Nevins said.

Also key in the negotiation was working out the show’s filming schedule to accommodate Hall and Showtime. Given the success the pairing of Dexter and rookie Homeland has had, the network is looking to keep the 2 series on compatible schedules so they can continue to air together, which has been accomplished. “The pairing of Dexter and Homeland has made for a vety powerful Sunday, and our plan is to likely keep them together,” Nevins said. “Clearly those shows cement our schedule on Sunday for the next several years.” Both Dexter and Homeland have been growing in the ratings for the past five consecutive weeks. “It’s remarkable how Dexter continues to be on a steady upward trajectory in its sixth season,” Nevins said.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Very happy to hear it's ending after this two year deal. Hopefully, it remains as amazing as it's always been for the last two seasons.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

^I agree. The show deserves to go out on top and I think to push it beyond another two seasons would be risky. Heck, even two more seasons seems like a lot, but I'm glad we get more Dexter.

Jack&Jenforever

Love this show. Just started watching this year. We bought Showtime just for the homeland show because it looked so good and now I can not miss it or Dexter. Have no clue what has happened in the first 5 seasons but an figuring it out a little as we go along. Great show.

King
Member Avatar

Seasons 4 and 5 were the best, IMO, but I am not hearing good things about 6. I have yet to watch it for myself though.

Looking forward to it ending. I know they'll write one hell of an ending.

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

Season six started out REALLY slow, but I think it's picked up towards the end. Seasons 1, 4 and 5 were my favorites hands down.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Season 6 is very different. I think in a good way. I've enjoyed it. It's been ebbing and flowing. Several big twists just occurred. I do think the show could use it's supporting cast a bit more, as much as I love Dexter and Debra, the others are interesting, too.

Season 4 was absolutely fantastic. Soooo good! Season 5 was MUCH better than I anticipated it being. It started slow, IMO, but I LOVED Lumen. Season's 1 and 2 were also very good with really interesting plotlines. Season 3 was the weakest, IMO. It's the season I really started to dislike Rita, which was a shame as I loved her initially. Her character really changed.

I don't think this show has had a truly BAD season. I think Season 6 is getting mixed reviews, but I've found it to be really good and interesting. It's been a great look at the Debra character and Dexter has grown so much. When you ignore the main plot, you see so much character development between those two.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

Season 1, 2 & 4 are my favorite.

King
Member Avatar

I think 3 was a bad season. LOL.

Mason
Member Avatar

I didn't care for Season 5 at all. Had it not been for Julia Stiles, it would have been just as worthless to me as Season 3.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

The thing with Dexter though, is even their weaker seasons(3) are still better than most television shows...Dexter has had a very good run...I'm hoping it can still go strong for 2 more years..But I really think they would of been fine with next season being the final season..

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

WOO! Weeds and Dexter both coming back again!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply