Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Prospect Park suspends AMC, OLTL efforts
Topic Started: Nov 23 2011, 03:00 PM (3,908 Views)
Ellie

http://twitter.com/#!/SoapDigest/status/139432528313466880

OLTL AND AMC: OFFICIALLY SUSPENDED: Prospect Park issued a statement that they are suspending their efforts to revive OLTL and AMC.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/its-official-pp-suspends-oltl-and-amc-efforts

In a statement released by Prospect Park this afternoon, the company has confirmed that, after five months of negotiations, the launch of OLTL and AMC on TOLN have been shelved. "It is now becoming clear that mounting issues make our ability to meet our deadlines to get OLTL on the air in a reasonable time period following its January 13, 2012 ABC finale impossible," the statement from PP's Rich Frank and Jeffrey Kwatinetz read. "We believe we exhausted all reasonable options apparent to us, but despite enormous personal, as well as financial cost to ourselves, we failed to find a solution.... In our opinion, new models like this can only work with the cooperation of many people striving to make them happen, and we would like to thank and praise the numerous people who tried to help and showed us incredible support. We are extremely grateful to the fans and media who showed great support to us through this process, to ABC who did everything in their control to help, and we are especially grateful for the support and encouragement from many of the Soaps' cast and crew themselves." The release went on to thank the OLTL and AMC actors who did sign on with PP as well as Executive Producer Frank Valentini and OLTL Head Writer Ron Carlivati, adding, "We feel terrible we couldn't come through for them and we were very much looking forward to working together."

'One Life to Life' and 'All My Children' dead: Online plans canceled
by Lynette Rice

Sorry, soap fans: The painful economics of running daytime dramas on the internet have made it impossible to keep the shows alive after they’ve been yanked off of broadcast TV. Prospect Park announced today that its hope to move One Life to Life and All My Children to a planned Online Network in 2012 has been shuttered, dashing any hope of keeping Llanview and Pine Valley fans satiated.

The media and production company founded in 2009 by Jeffrey Kwatinetz and former Disney Studios head Rich Frank was unable to reach guild deals to make the soaps’ run on the internet a reality. Arrangements with the unions were necessary if Prospect Park wanted to also sell the soaps to cable, but it’s economically unfeasible to pay guild wages for an internet show that would generate a fraction of the revenue it once did on ABC.

As it was, Prospect Park was already having a dilly of a time closing deals with the AMC actors (hey, Susan Lucci!), so it had to delay the show’s planned return in January: Only Cameron Mathison (Ryan Lavery) and Lindsay Hartley (Dr. Cara Castillo Martin) had agreed to continue after it ended its ABC run in September. In contrast, OLTL’s Erika Slezak (Victoria Lord), along with Ted King (Tomas Delgado), Michael Easton (John McBain) and Kassie DePaiva (Blair Cramer), among others, has closed deals to stay in the fictitious town of Llanview after it sunsetted on ABC this January.

The company released this statement: “After five months of negotiations with various guilds, hundreds of presentations to potential financial and technology partners, and a hope that we could pioneer a new network for the future, it is with great disappointment that we are suspending our aspirations to revive One Life to Live and All My Children via online distribution. It is now becoming clear that mounting issues make our ability to meet our deadlines to get OLTL on the air in a reasonable time period following its Jan. 13, 2012 ABC finale impossible.

“We believed the timing was right to launch an Online TV Network anchored by these two iconic soap operas, but we always knew it would be an uphill battle to create something historical, and unfortunately we couldn’t ultimately secure the backing and clear all the hurdles in time. We believe we exhausted all reasonable options apparent to us, but despite enormous personal, as well as financial cost to ourselves, we failed to find a solution.

“While we narrowed in on a financial infrastructure, the contractual demands of the guilds, which regulate our industry, coupled with the program’s inherent economic challenges ultimately led to this final decision. In the end, the constraints of the current marketplace, including the evolution and impact of new media on our industry simply proved too great a match for even our passion.

“In our opinion, new models like this can only work with the cooperation of many people striving to make them happen, and we would like to thank and praise the numerous people who tried to help and showed us incredible support. We are extremely grateful to the fans and media who showed great support to us through this process, to ABC who did everything in their control to help, and we are especially grateful for the support and encouragement from many of the soaps’ cast and crew themselves.

“We hope that our efforts are not lost, and that we somehow created a dialogue and movement on the feasibility of first run, network quality content online. Of special note, we would like to thank Frank Valentini (Executive Producer), Ron Carlivati (Head Writer of OLTL), Agnes Nixon, many of the cast of OLTL including Michael Easton, Ted King, Kelley Missal, Melissa Archer, and of course Erika Slezak all of whom signed on quickly and did all they could to help, as well as our own Christine Sacani. Cameron Mathison and Lindsay Hartley also get our sincerest thanks for their support. We feel terrible we couldn’t come through for them and we were very much looking forward to working together.”

Now fans will have to mourn the death of AMC and OLTL all over again, after ABC made the heartbreaking announcement in April that it was yanking the serials due to the changing economics of daytime TV. The soaps were replaced with the (cheaper-to-make and easier to monetize) lifestyle shows The Chew and The Revolution.

At the time of Prospect Park’s purchase of the soaps in July, Frank and Kwatinetz released this very optimistic statement: “We are privileged to continue the legacy of two of the greatest programs to air on daytime television, and are committed to delivering the storylines, characters and quality that audiences have come to love for over 40 years. All My Children and One Life to Live are television icons, and we are looking forward to providing anytime, anywhere viewing to their loyal community of millions. Technology changes the way the public can and will view television shows. Now that there are so many devices available in addition to television sets, viewers are taking advantage of watching shows where ever they are and on any number of devices.”

Source: EW
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Good grief. I hope they have time to give OLTL a proper, non-cliff hanger ending.

Mason
Member Avatar

Nubia
Nov 23 2011, 03:01 PM
Good grief. I hope they have time to give OLTL a proper, non-cliff hanger ending.
OLTL just wrapped filming last week....so they won't. And that's the worst part of this. Fans of both shows are getting screwed out of the endings they deserve.

bstreis
Member Avatar
No matter what you think, I DO love you.

Wow, that's terrible. AMC got a shit send off and with OLTL already wrapped we'll most likely get another cliffhanger one there too...such BS, now we'll never to get see the actual endings that were planned. :flipoff:

darraholic
Member Avatar

I'm beginning to think PP did this just to get attention. I don't think they ever planned to go ahead with either soap.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Ridiculous! So both AMC and OLTL fans get screwed out of a proper ending to 40+ years of viewership.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

What the hell?!? Why get the fans hopes up?

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

darraholic
Nov 23 2011, 03:07 PM
I'm beginning to think PP did this just to get attention. I don't think they ever planned to go ahead with either soap.
That's exactly what I think. It just feels like they played all the soap fans for fools. Now we get cheated out of a proper ending for both shows. Thanks for nothing ABC.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Crazygirl
Nov 23 2011, 03:12 PM
darraholic
Nov 23 2011, 03:07 PM
That's exactly what I think. It just feels like they played all the soap fans for fools. Now we get cheated out of a proper ending for both shows. Thanks for nothing ABC.
PP got all this attention and now they don't have to even spend the money to continue with this show. It's really great marketing. Sad for the fans though.

Mason
Member Avatar

I believe PP intended to follow through with both shows. I think they just bit off more than they could end up chewing. I don't think it was all just a PR move.

ABC should also be blamed for selling to PP when I'm pretty sure they got other offers.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Wow. I fucking hate ABC for licensing these shows to a company that didn't have a real plan. I called this shit from day one.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

bellcurve
Nov 23 2011, 03:26 PM
Wow. I fucking hate ABC for licensing these shows to a company that didn't have a real plan. I called this shit from day one.
...and now they're intent on destroying General Hospital for a damn Katie Couric talk show! I'm furious right now.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Added the Entertainment Weekly article.

What a day for it to come out, when most people probably aren't paying much attention to news.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Honestly, I didn't think would be sucessful anyways. I can see why they derailed the plans. But it sucks that AMC got screwed out of a proper ending..

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Even as just an observer, I never understood how they were going to produce five hours a week for the web. The math never made sense.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Casey
Nov 23 2011, 03:31 PM
bellcurve
Nov 23 2011, 03:26 PM
...and now they're intent on destroying General Hospital for a damn Katie Couric talk show! I'm furious right now.
If I were Jill Phelps/Brian Frons, I'd beg ABC to consider airing GH immediately following Kimmel in a revamped, half-hour format four days a week with a recap show on Friday nights(Kimmel's a rerun on Friday nights). Go on hiatus when Kimmel's in reruns. Give fans of daily drama some option to follow this show.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Wow...I KNEW this was going to happen the moment this was announced....AMC got screwed out of a great finale and now it looks like OLTL is going to be screwed out of one as well since production has now wrapped.

spiderweb55
Member Avatar

So...does Prospect Park have the rights to the AMC/OLTL archives? 'Cause if we can't get new episodes, I'd love a channel or DVD set featuring classic episodes.

And by "classic episodes", I mean "episodes older than 2005", FRONS.

Tammy
Member Avatar

:flipoff:

WTGH
Member Avatar
Bitch!

Can't say I'm surprised.

Even if PP has started airing new episodes, I doubt they would've lasted more than 6 months-1 year.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply