Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
TV Guide: Coming out in Salem; Dec 5th print issue
Topic Started: Nov 28 2011, 07:16 PM (11,654 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

He's sure no poster boy for GLAAD. Will Horton, the Days of our Lives teenager played by Chandler Massey, is gay and deeply, desperately in denial about it. And his coming-out story won't take the politically safe route. Days currently has another young gay character - Will's friend Sonny, played by former 90210 star Freddie Smith - who is out and proud and inspiringly comfortable in his own skin. But Will's saga will be packed with guilt, rage, violence, drinking and blackmail - and that's weeks before the kid even has his first gay kiss.

"Our writers certainly have balls," says the 21 year old Massey. "I was shocked to read some of the scripts. Other shows might be afraid to go this direction with a story that's this potentially sensitive, but I think what we're doing is so much richer and more dramatic because of it."

Massey adds that he "loves the way they're writing Sonny, so there's some real balance here. He's the polar opposite of my character - completely confident in his sexuality and totally together. But Will finds that threatening and it makes him loathe himself even more. He is really acting out."

Ya think? This month, Will goes ballistic and trashes his Aunt Maggie's kitchen after being dumped by his girlfriend, who can't understand why he doesn't want sex. He later gets drunk at a family Christmas gathering where he openly lashes out at his mom, Sami. Come January, the soap's archvillain, EJ, will try to use Will's secret to his advantage. "Will wants to leave Salem, so he tries to blackmail EJ into giving him money," says Massey. "But EJ turns the tables on Will and threatens to reveal he's gay. It turns into this master-slave relationship."

Will's only safe harbor is his grandmother Marlena. "They have an awesome relationship," Massey says. "She's pretty sure Will is gay and tries to be there for him. She's a smart lady, and a shrink, but even she can't get him to come out."

Posted Image

Thanks to member mrfixit for the info!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Wow, this sounds really interesting, though what was that they were saying again about stories not being so dark? And lol at the master-slave thing.

Love Chandler and Deidre together.

Thanks for posting, Ellie! :smile:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Oh, and I just noticed the picture caption: so Will is out kissing a boy after EJ threatens to expose him?
Offline Profile Goto Top

lene
Member Avatar

OH MY LAWD. EJ is going to use Will being gay to his advantage? (sounds dirty!LOL) but ugh, how fucking LAME!!!!!
The rest sounds good though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

WOW...what a BASTARD EJ is (but hey Will is blackmailing him with his dirty secret too)...lol...blackmailing him with his SEXUALITY..that is going to push a few buttons with gay activist groups FOR SURE.

This sounds good though...I like that they are taking him into a dark place with this and I am glad it is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being "PC, Afternoon Special" bullshit.

Massey is so going to get an emmy next year.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

lene
Nov 28 2011, 07:21 PM
OH MY LAWD. EJ is going to use Will being gay to his advantage? (sounds dirty!LOL) but ugh, how fucking LAME!!!!!
Well it is kinda smart considering Will is trying to use the affair to get money out of EJ...if some closeted gay boy was doing that to me, and I knew he was gay, I would threaten that as well.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Twilightsucks
Member Avatar

Um why doesnt he fucking ask his father for money?? Why pull EJ into this? God. really writers? I love EJ but he doesnt have to be in every storyline. especially this one even though Will is a moron for trying to blackmail him. Arch Villian? who talks like that? :laugh:
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Psst...Days, Will has got another Safe harbor in Salem, his grandma Kate and in case you are wondering his father, who lives in Hong Kong loves him too....

I'm telling you, I can't fucking believe Days is doing this story without Lucas around, unless they want to bring Lucas back just when something happens to Will (i.e, near death, hospitalization), which I'm suspecting will happen sometime this spring as he continues to spiral out of control through the winter....if Ej is going to be his enemy, he needs his dad back, so much history there, I can't believe that Days isn't even considering it.....if Will continues to drink, he can even end up driving drunk and ending up in a coma or something....

OH and last time I checked his grandma Kate had money, so why did he have to ask EJ....oh, that's right....tha PLOT....I thought Days wasn't writing plot driven story lines anymore?

At least we got some spoilers out of this....
Online Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

LOVE that Will gets drunk at his family's Christmas celebration and trashes his mom...how incredibly REAL! Thumbs up from me!
Offline Profile Goto Top

MyHappyEnding

Ellie
Nov 28 2011, 07:16 PM
Come January, the soap's archvillain, EJ, will try to use Will's secret to his advantage. "Will wants to leave Salem, so he tries to blackmail EJ into giving him money," says Massey. "But EJ turns the tables on Will and threatens to reveal he's gay. It turns into this master-slave relationship."

Guess this is just another "issue" that EJ/Sami will have to "resolve" when they finally come back together as a couple.

"You blackmailed my son by threatening to tell the whole town he was gay......but, that was just for his own good since he was acting out and you were trying to help.....let's kiss."
Offline Profile Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Oooh, this sounds interesting. So that's how EJ is going to keep Will quiet. Rule #1, Will, never try to blackmail somebody when you are harboring a secret of your own.
Offline Profile Goto Top

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I'm torn on this and will have to see how it plays out. My first thought is to agree with Paxton. How is this not a dark story? No surprise that KC lied again.

I agree with Mitch that this is definitely not an after school presentation. Most of the gay stories on soaps have been afraid to take chances. However, my problem is the reference is that Will goes evil because he's gay. I will have to wait and see how much of this is because of his sexuality and how much is because of his mother's actions regarding the Ejami sex.

Yeah, and the reference that Will only has Marlena in his corner is ludicrous. There is Kate, Caroline and a whole host of other people that Will can turn to with his issues.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lene
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Nov 28 2011, 07:23 PM
lene
Nov 28 2011, 07:21 PM
Well it is kinda smart considering Will is trying to use the affair to get money out of EJ...if some closeted gay boy was doing that to me, and I knew he was gay, I would threaten that as well.

Yeah, I guess. But with such a sensitive subject, I would think EJ wouldn't pull this stunt just to keep Nicole. A woman he's dumped for other women twice now. But I guess not. LoL
Offline Profile Goto Top

lene
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Nov 28 2011, 07:24 PM
LOVE that Will gets drunk at his family's Christmas celebration and trashes his mom...how incredibly REAL! Thumbs up from me!
Really looking forward to those scenes! :cheer: :cheer:
Offline Profile Goto Top

am103
Member Avatar

This sounds really interesting! The whole Will getting drunk at Christmas thing sounds awesome! Can't wait.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mrfixit
Member Avatar

It's something that Sonny is the one who spots Will kissing a boy. Who's Will kissing?
Offline Profile Goto Top

MyHappyEnding

This sounds to me like they are kind of resurrecting Jack's redemption storyline. Not that Will needs to be redeemed, but more along the lines of his entire life imploding so he goes crazy and does some things he'll end up regretting.

So when we see Will doing all these things to people, there will be an underlying thread of someone who is in severe pain and acting out, rather than someone who's just being a dick to be a dick. MA was phenomenal at bringing across the fact that while Jack had done some heinous crap to people, he was an ball of emotions and a very damaged person.....after seeing CM's acting the past couple of days, I have no doubt we'll get the same from him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aldo
Member Avatar

Paxton
Nov 28 2011, 07:20 PM
Oh, and I just noticed the picture caption: so Will is out kissing a boy after EJ threatens to expose him?
Sonny spots Will kissing a guy not EJ, which brings the question of how EJ is going to find out about Will.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

Drunk Will lashing out at Sami!

Villain EJ!

Willena! :)

Prepare your Emmy speech, Chandler Massey!
Offline Profile Goto Top

tabbycat6248

LuvingLumi
Nov 28 2011, 07:23 PM
Psst...Days, Will has got another Safe harbor in Salem, his grandma Kate and in case you are wondering his father, who lives in Hong Kong loves him too....

I'm telling you, I can't fucking believe Days is doing this story without Lucas around, unless they want to bring Lucas back just when something happens to Will (i.e, near death, hospitalization), which I'm suspecting will happen sometime this spring as he continues to spiral out of control through the winter....if Ej is going to be his enemy, he needs his dad back, so much history there, I can't believe that Days isn't even considering it.....if Will continues to drink, he can even end up driving drunk and ending up in a coma or something....

OH and last time I checked his grandma Kate had money, so why did he have to ask EJ....oh, that's right....tha PLOT....I thought Days wasn't writing plot driven story lines anymore?

At least we got some spoilers out of this....
LL, I totally agree with you. When I watched the EJ/Sami/Will scenes Monday, all I could think of is WHERE IS LUCAS. HE REALLY NEEDS TO COME HOME NOW! Hopefully, someone will call him and tell him he is needed.
Edited by tabbycat6248, Nov 28 2011, 07:39 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic