Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Joe Mascolo's newest contract cycle (speculation only, not fact); Screen-time may be minimal through Sept. 2012
Topic Started: Nov 30 2011, 02:19 AM (3,550 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

SPECULATION ONLY...BUT SUPPORTED BY THE RECENT NUMBERS:

Some posters have been noticing Joe's dwindling screen time. It looks like Joe's current contract cycle may have cut him from a guarantee of 2.5 episodes/week (130 episodes per year) down to just a guarantee of 1 episode/week (52 episodes a year).

2010-2011 CONTRACT CYCLE:
Joseph Mascolo (Stefano)
Yearly Contract Cycle: approx. 7/15/10-7/15/11
Air Dates: approx. 9/20/10-9/20/11
Appeared In: 136 episodes
Guarantee: 2.5 episodes/week

2011-2012 CONTRACT CYCLE:
Joseph Mascolo (Stefano)
Yearly Contract Cycle: 7/15/11-7/15/12
Air Dates: 9/20/11-9/20/12
Appeared In: 9 episodes over a 10 week period (9/20/11-11/30/11)
Guarantee: 1 episode/week??

Joe's newest yearly contract cycle happened to take effect right around the same time the reboot happened. Perhaps to save money, they cut his guarantee from 2.5/week to 1/week.

Based on these findings, it looks like there's one of two choices for Joe:

A. They are saving up some of his remaining guaranteed 125 episodes to air between Dec. 2011-Sept. 2012

or

B. His contract guarantee was cut from 2.5 episodes/week to 1 episode/week and they can only use Joe, on average, once a week (only 41 more episodes) from Dec. 2011 through Sept. 2012.

Only time will tell... Again all of this is speculation based purely on the stats. Guarantees can't ever become official until the #s are confirmed at the end of each actor's yearly contract cycle.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

happy
Member Avatar

What happens if they go over the guarantee? Do they have to pay him extra? Or his same daily rate? Thanks!

Jason47
Member Avatar

happy
Nov 30 2011, 02:25 AM
What happens if they go over the guarantee? Do they have to pay him extra? Or his same daily rate? Thanks!
It would cost more money, yes. That's why some actors get benched, most recently Melody Thomas Scott made the news for her benching by YR. And Peter Reckell got benched for a bit last year.

Alisonlover

I hope Joe is not be written out i am worried about how much time Stefano is getting after Sami and EJ and Nicole he is the main reason why i watch the show i love him and Kate together JM is fanastic i really hope we see more of him he and James have great chemisty the show wouldn't be the same without Stefano.

Thomson
Member Avatar

Makes me kind of sad. I need more Stefano. I'm not happy with the way they've been using him these past years. It's dissapointing how he kind of lost his touch. I used to be scared of him.
I was afraid that he would be leaving so this is a relief, kind of.

TFP Jason.
Edited by Thomson, Nov 30 2011, 03:44 AM.

SaveDaysNow

This basically tells me that Ian Buchanan will be the new "big baddie", and I am sure Quinn will be right there with him. (The new father & son evil duo). Stefano has really lost his edge now that he's in love and completely over Marlena.

Twilightsucks
Member Avatar

I honestly think Joe will be leaving soon. Who killed Stefano Dimera murder mystery anyone? If he did what I think he did Steffy is sooooooo dead. Everyone will want to kill him including EJ.

Alisonlover

SaveDaysNow
Nov 30 2011, 03:44 AM
This basically tells me that Ian Buchanan will be the new "big baddie", and I am sure Quinn will be right there with him. (The new father & son evil duo). Stefano has really lost his edge now that he's in love and completely over Marlena.

Big mistake those two will never take Stefano's place he the villian of Days ok they may of gone soft in recent years but when Stefano has been bad JM wins me over all the time he plays the villian so well what a great actor there is no way Quinn or Ian which ever character he plays will replace him.

Thomson
Member Avatar

Alisonlover
Nov 30 2011, 03:56 AM
SaveDaysNow
Nov 30 2011, 03:44 AM

Big mistake those two will never take Stefano's place he the villian of Days ok they may of gone soft in recent years but when Stefano has been bad JM wins me over all the time he plays the villian so well what a great actor there is no way Quinn or Ian which ever character he plays will replace him.
Who talks about replacing Stefano? Nobody can pull that off. But clearly JM will be used to a lesser degree and eventually leave. He's getting up in age and he probably wants to retire someday. Ian Buchanan is a good actor and would make a great villain. It would be great to see other badguys terrorizing the good citizens of Salem. It's lame how every crime is committed by the DiMera's nowadays.
Edited by Thomson, Nov 30 2011, 04:45 AM.

stefenohairychest
Member Avatar

:soapbox: I only watch when he is on..seems I watch once every other week since that's when we see him now......hate this they promise the villians will hardly see air time and goodness and light goodguys will be on.......I am tuning out

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Was there rumours that he was looking at retirement? Maybe this is a middle ground to that in that he'll be on once a week and that's it. Maybe this is HIS choice. We just don't know.

MissLola
Member Avatar

The man is 82 years old. Maybe he wants to take it easy and enjoy his twilight years.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Considering his age and the fact that Joe lives out of L.A., I'm fine if his air time is reduced a bit. I just would like his scenes to be important when he is shown. The acting dynamic between JM and JS is always a pleasure to watch. Unless this mystery about baby Elvis is long and drawn out, Stefano should have some exciting scenes coming up. I, too, think if he did what it seems he may have, there will be lots of confrontation at the DiMera mansion soon.

Thanks Jason. I think most of here wondered about Joe since he has appeared so little lately.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Ian Buchanan is not being brought on to replace Stefano. The show needs more bad guys besides just the DiMeras so I'm very happy to have him join the cast. He will be great.

As far As Joe Mascolo's reduced airtime...its probably better for him personally and he might have requested it so I can't complain. He is getting up there and I would rather have a little Stefano than none at all. If he retires from acting completely, I don't even know if I could continue to watch DAYS. Stefano is basically the backbone of DAYS and has been since the early-80s. He is as important as anyone else on the show. He's changed a lot in recent years, but I'm fine with it because I don't want to see a return to the completely off the wall storylines. I wouldn't mind seeing Stefano holding someone in a cage and threatening them or torturing them in some way, though. The stupid Rafe doppelganger storyline was almost a throwback to the old Stefano, but the storyline sucked so bad that it just fell flat.

I'm going to enjoy seeing this EJ/Susan/Stefano/Hope thing play out and see where they go from there. I hope they never kill Stefano off and I doubt they will. I think JM will have some say and when and how Stefano is eventually written off.

Twilightsucks
Member Avatar

If he isnt happy about this Im sure we will hear about it. Im just worried this is a way to write him out. We have Lexie and Chad who dont want to be Dimera's and EJ might get unDimeraed down the road. :scared: I just dont think this is his choice. :shrug:

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I don't think he has any storyline control, but he isn't a quiet guy and he makes his feelings known. I do think when he finally decides to leave the show for good or they decide to write him out that he will be included in the decision making. Seeing that Marlene and Darrell Ray are JER disciples they should be in love with Stefano and have endless storylines for him. I guess it could get a little hard to write for someone that can only be on one episode per week though. Hope they don't decide to scrap him altogether. The DiMeras are essential to the Bradys existence.

Deleted User
Deleted User

This makes me sad. I want to see more of Stefano. This is one of the many things about the reset I have not liked.
Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

As much as I used to love Stefano, the man lost his balls years ago. I would rather he be dead than to have this wimpy version on my screen. Joe rocks, but Stefano sucks . He is no longer a badass villain--- he is a Teddy bear.

Twilightsucks
Member Avatar

If Stefano dies he needs to go out with a bang and not a wimper. A who killed the great Stefano Dimera storyline would be a fitting end.

The list of suspects would be longer than my arm. I can see EJ and Hope being at the top of that list.
Edited by Twilightsucks, Nov 30 2011, 09:02 AM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

It makes me sad that we may not have Steffy (and JM) for long. I do hope that they have a good story for him if he's going to leave DAYS or use him in scenes that are significant.

With the possible removable of EJ's DiMera side, I hope this doesn't mean that the DiMera will no longer have a strong presence in Salem.

Wonder where this leaves STATE. Might Kate cheat on Steffy?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply