Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW: Hope talks to Susan Banks/Susan Banks Recast; 12/13 issues
Topic Started: Nov 30 2011, 09:22 PM (6,526 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Hope Questions Susan

Bo and Hope find an intriguing note penned by Stefano in Alice’s Christmas ornament. It promises “the bearer” every courtesy that would be extended to Stefano himself. “Bo and Hope try to piece together the mystery,” previews Kristian Alfonso.

Bo locates Susan Banks’s phone number in England and they phone her, hoping that Susan can shed light on the mystery. Susan is rattled by the unexpected call and panics that something terrible has happened “to her Elvis.” Hope assures the worried mom that her son is fine. “They talk about Stefano and EJ,” recounts Alfonso. The mention of Stefano’s name makes Susan uneasy. “She gets very nervous,” notes Alfonso. Bo and Hope reveal that they know Alice helped Stefano. They also bring up the letter that Susan wrote Alice, and question why she wanted it kept secret from Stefano. Susan blurts that Stefano found out. Realizing her slip, Susan cuts the call short. Bo and Hope are intrigued by Susan’s extreme reaction.

Later, they decide to confront Stefano directly. Bo and Hope show Stefano the voucher, but he claims to know nothing about it. Stefano is then called away for a moment as the Bradys try and figure out what’s going on...

Days’s Susan Recast!

(there is also a portion of this interview relating to OLTL that has been omitted here)

Brynn Thayer, who played OLTL’s Jenny from 1978-86, guest-stars on Days as Susan Banks on December 7.

Thayer appears when Hope phones Susan in England. Thayer, who follows Days, was delighted to step in and play the part. “The casting office called my agent and said, ‘We’re trying to do a plot point and since we can’t get incredible Eileen Davidson to come back, we need an actress that can do Susan’s mannerisms and voice,” she recounts. “Basically, I don’t think really see my face. It’s more from the profile. But they wanted the voice and mannerisms. They asked me if I would go onto YouTube to study Eileen and her voice. I thought, ‘This is an interesting assignment.’ Susan was such a fantastic character: crazy, wild, and wonderful. I immersed myself in Eileen Davidson, thinking that hopefully, I could at least get her essence. I then went in and auditioned, and I got it.”

Thayer who developed a strong fan base during her time on OLTL, is keenly aware of Davidson’s popularity with Days’s fans. “I know that the audience would like it to be Eileen,” she shares. “It’s not going to be easy to trick those die-hard Days fans.”

Would Thayer be open to continuing on Days? “I would love to,” she answers. “I had so much fun on the phone call that I did. There is so much freedom and fun getting to play a character like that, especially with the wonderful way that Eileen established the character.”

SOW
The festivities surrounding the annual Horton tree-trimming take a mysterious turn when Bo and Hope find a note tucked inside Alice’s ornament. The note grants “the bearer” every courtesy that would be extended to Stefano DiMera. Bo and Hope are stumped trying to figure out why Alice would be in possession of such an intriguing missive.

Later, Bo uncovers Susan Banks’s phone number in England. Hope immediately dials the number, determined to find out if Susan can shed any light on the mystery involving Stefano and Alice. The call from Salem puts Susan on edge and she worries that “her Elvis” is in trouble. Bo and Hope assure Susan that EJ is fine. “Hope talks to Susan about the letter she wrote to Gran,” previews Kristian Alfonso. “Hope also questions how Gran could have helped Stefano.” Susan’s tone changes dramatically, “She gets very nervous talking about Stefano,” explains Alfonso. Bo and Hope try to calm down Susan to no avail. She cuts the conversation short and hangs up on them.

Later, Bo and Hope pay a surprise visit to Stefano. They show him the note found tucked inside Alice’s ornament and Stefano asserts that he knows nothing about it. Hope presses the Phoenix, convinced that he’s hiding something. Stefano repeats his advice to let the secrets of the dead stay buried and insists he has nothing more to say on the subject.

Article Scans courtesy of FL

------------------------------------------------------------------

From CBS Soaps in Depth

Susan, Phone Home!

Susan Banks, arguably one of the most bizarre and popular characters from Days of Our Lives past, is popping up soon. But with Eileen Davidson currently on The Young & The Restless as Ashley, what does it all mean?

For Bo and Hope, investigating Alice's secret means taking a deeper look into the woman's past -- starting with her connection to Stefano! In an effort to connect the dots, they'll be turning over more than a few rocks, and that includes reaching out to Susan, the troubled woman with whom he had EJ. And, since Davidson's otherwise occupied, Days has tapped Brynn Thayer (ex-Jenny, OLTL) to take on the kooky role! To hear what she has to say, tune in on Wednesday, December 7th. Of course, with an actress of this caliber -- and a connection to Alice's mystery -- here's hoping Susan eventually makes her way to Salem for good!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

So DAYS confirms they could not get ED back....hmmm...ED says she would have been open to it on Twitter....I don't know who to believe.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

Well, I find slight comfort in the fact that she won't be seen much, more heard.

Alligato
Member Avatar

So its a profile of Susan Banks? That's it? I thought this would be a couple of Days interacting with Bope and EJ...but just a phone call. No wonder ED didn't want to come back.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Glad it was stated that the show couldn't get Davidson back, rather than just not trying. It's unrealistic for the show to pay Davidson for one day, as well as Davidson wasting her time for one day. I'm sure it was a mutual outcome on both parts. Glad that was stated.

So it doesn't sound like we're going to actually see Thayer as Susan, but rather just hear her. Hope will probably call Susan and we'll either just hear Susan's voice over the phone, or we'll just see her from like the shoulders/neck down. At least Thayer said she studied Susan's mannerisms and the way Davidson spoke. I'm willing to give this "recast" a chance.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

“The casting office called my agent and said, ‘We’re trying to do a plot point and since we can’t get incredible Eileen Davidson to come back, we need an actress that can do Susan’s mannerisms and voice,” she recounts.

“Basically, I don’t think really see my face. It’s more from the profile. But they wanted the voice and mannerisms. They asked me if I would go onto YouTube to study Eileen and her voice. I thought, ‘This is an interesting assignment.’ Susan was such a fantastic character: crazy, wild, and wonderful. I immersed myself in Eileen Davidson, thinking that hopefully, I could at least get her essence. I then went in and auditioned, and I got it.”
Well, I'm glad Eileen at least crossed their minds and I'm glad Susan wasn't changed entirely just because they had to recast the role.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

This story is just so damn weird....not liking the implication that somehow Alice and Stefano were in cahoots here...

lysie
Member Avatar

First post update with SOW article.

And it sounded to me like they just knew they wouldn't be able to ask/get Eileen. I still don't think they asked. I think they knew her contract wouldn't allow it.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

This sounds very intriguing, I want to know what the secret is.

Writers please surprise me, I am begging you.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

lysie
Nov 30 2011, 09:45 PM
And it sounded to me like they just knew they wouldn't be able to ask/get Eileen. I still don't think they asked. I think they knew her contract wouldn't allow it.
Potato, potahto. Either way, the show and Davidson's camp knew it wasn't going to happen. This instance isn't like back in 2006 when Davidson was leaving Y&R around the same time the DiMeras were being brought back to DAYS. Back then, I was pissed the show didn't move heaven and earth to bring back Davidson as Kristen. But now, in this instance, it just wouldn't make much sense for Davidson to come on for the bit part it sounds like Thayer got.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Yeah, I'm ready for the writers to tell us but keep most of the characters in the dark. Mostly because I don't trust that it will be worth my time to just kind of follow along.

That sounds like a lot of work for a phone call in profile. I hope the actress wasn't under the impression it would be something more. I mean, it almost seems unfair to have people practice and audition. Maybe it's more than it sounds like, though.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

This is one storyline I hope turns out great unlike that Egg Tan baby garbage, thanks for posting the article.

Twilightsucks
Member Avatar

well crap that didnt clear much up.
Edited by Twilightsucks, Nov 30 2011, 09:54 PM.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Nov 30 2011, 09:27 PM
So DAYS confirms they could not get ED back....hmmm...ED says she would have been open to it on Twitter....I don't know who to believe.
DAYS wouldn't even be able to speak to Eileen unless CBS approved it. Eileen's contract is with CBS and it would be a breach of contract if DAYS/NBC talked with her.

My guess is DAYS might have contacted CBS to see if they could use her and they shot it down thus Eileen having no clue that DAYS might have wanted her.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Posted Image

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Okay, so we do see Thayer as Susan. Well, it's better than I expected her to look.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

Kenny
Nov 30 2011, 10:06 PM
That pic is pretty terrible of Susan, I really wished that the original Susan was available.:(

MissLola
Member Avatar

Must admit the picture does look like Susan. Can't wait to see what the secret is, hope it is good.
Would love to see Ej get pissed and confront Hope for upsetting his mommy. Could you imagine ED's Susan and Ej in scenes together. Lol

lysie
Member Avatar

I think she looks....like Susan.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I'm surprised at how much she looks like Susan.

Decent casting job, I guess.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply