Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Parenting Changes?; Can you name all the parents of the characters over the years?
Topic Started: Dec 4 2011, 09:45 AM (473 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

With all the discussion of EJ's parentage, TanMan's parentage, and a possible retcon of John's parentage, I thought it might be fun to trace all the parenting changes of certain characters over the years. I'll start with one, and please feel free to add your knowledge and add more characters.

How many parents has John had over the years? (That'll probably count his name changes, too!)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

John Black

1) Was thought to be Stefano DiMera

2) Was first revealed to be a surgically altered Roman Brady, eldest child of Shawn and Caroline Brady.

3) He was then revealed to be Forest Alamain, brother of Lawrence Alamain, nephew of Vivian, son of Leopold and Philomena.

4) The third reveal was that he was the son of Daphne DiMera and an unknown father, half-brother of Tony. HIs time with the Alamains was kept in tact as it was explained that Daphne, fearing Stefano, gave her child to Philomena and Leopold to adopt as their own.

5) The last and current reveal is that John Black is actually Ryan Brady, the bastard son of an affair between Santo DiMera, Stefano's father, and Colleen Brady, Shawn Brady Sr.'s older sister. His time with the Alamains is still intact.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Dec 4 2011, 09:53 AM
4) The third reveal was that he was the son of Daphne DiMera and an unknown father, half-brother of Tony. HIs time with the Alamains was kept in tact as it was explained that Daphne, fearing Stefano, gave her child to Philomena and Leopold to adopt as their own.
It was also explained that Daphne and Philomena were sisters, making John and Tony cousins with Lawrence.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
John Black

1) Was thought to be Stefano DiMera

2) Was first revealed to be a surgically altered Roman Brady, eldest child of Shawn and Caroline Brady.

3) He was then revealed to be Forest Alamain, brother of Lawrence Alamain, nephew of Vivian, son of Leopold and Philomena.

5) The last and current reveal is that John Black is actually Ryan Brady, the bastard son of an affair between Santo DiMera, Stefano's father, and Colleen Brady, Shawn Brady Sr.'s older sister. His time with the Alamains is still intact.
Okay, 1-3 are great storylines. Very believable.

4 was just there to fit the plot, but it was fine and gave more reason for everyone to hate each other. He was basically the gardeners son with probably the love of Stefano's life. It created much conflict.

5...one of the worst storylines ever and is currently screwing up almost every possible storyline.

John Black is definitely the most messed with character in DAYS history.

ETA : Well of course, John Black being Roman Brady wasn't even remotely believable because of the size difference, BUT still one of the best storylines ever and gave a ton of iconic material for the rest of the show's run.
Edited by DiMeraFan67, Dec 4 2011, 10:21 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Lexie Carver --- because of Sindacco's picture

Lexie was raised to believe that her Aunt Grace Brooks and her husband were her biological parents.

It was later revealed that Celeste, believed to be Lexie's Aunt Frankie, was actually her real mother and Stefano DiMera was her father.

I miss Celeste. Bring her back!

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Dec 4 2011, 10:15 AM
Bright Eyes
It was also explained that Daphne and Philomena were sisters, making John and Tony cousins with Lawrence.
Damn, I meant to add that. I have no idea why I forgot to do so. LoL

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the first parental change/story happened to Brooke Hamilton when she found out Bob Anderson was her father.

Next was Jessica Blake when she found out Alex Marshall and Marie Horton were her real parents.

Then there was Tod Chandler and Joshua Fallon learning they were half-brothers.

I forget the time period, but there was also the mess of learning that Orby Jensen and Esther Kensington sired three children, Gwen Davies, Woody King and Oliver Martin.

Probably the best parental change came when it was revealed that Bo was actually the son of an affair between Caroline Brady and Victor Kiriakis.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Wow, you go back way further than I can even think. I don't know if Tommy Horton technically counts as a parenting change, but he was believed to be someone else when he came to town, but it turned out he was Alice and Tom's son, Tommy Jr. who had gotten amnesia from injuries sustained during a war.

It was more of a reveal than a change, but he still came to town as nobody and ended up a Horton.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Dec 4 2011, 10:42 AM
Wow, you go back way further than I can even think. I don't know if Tommy Horton technically counts as a parenting change, but he was believed to be someone else when he came to town, but it turned out he was Alice and Tom's son, Tommy Jr. who had gotten amnesia from injuries sustained during a war.

It was more of a reveal than a change, but he still came to town as nobody and ended up a Horton.
I think it should count, IMO.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Dec 4 2011, 10:45 AM
DiMeraFan67

And, counting that, we all know about the infamous Mike Horton story line, where most people were kept in the dark about Bill, not Mickey, being his true father.

Melissa's paternity also came into question before she was even born. Linda, not yet knowing Mickey was sterile, truthfully believed that Mickey was the father from their affair. Once a DNA test was done, it was proven that Melissa's biological father was Linda's ex-boyfriend, Jim Phillips.

ETA: Even before Mike, David Banning was adopted by Scott and Janet Banning. He lived as Bradley Banning for about a year and a half until Julie figured out he was her baby and successfully sued for full custody after Janet died.

And, more fresh in the viewer's minds, is the baby switch story between Hope and Lexie. The first baby was J.T. Reiber, son of an affair between Glen Reiber and Dr. Rolf's niece, Margo. The second baby was Zach Brady, who Abe and Lexie raised as Isaac.

And later on, Shawn, Belle, Philip and Mimi believed Claire to be Philip and Belle's daughter, but later learned she was, in fact, the daughter of Shawn and Belle. This mix up was all thanks to The Gloved Hand, a.k.a. E.J. DiMera and his lackey, Philip Lockhart.

Furthermore, for a good while Rebecca North kept Doug and others in the dark that Doug was the biological father of her son Dougie LeClair through artificial insemination. When Doug found out, he eventually reliquished any rights to the boy as by that time Robert LeClair was his true father in all the ways that mattered.

And Sarah Horton's paternity changed when it was revealed that Neil Curtis had inseminated Maggie with his sperm and not the deceased Evan Whyland's.

We also had the change of maternity for Eve Donovan when they ret-conned Gabriel Pascal to be her mother and not Emma Donovan.

Tony DiMera lived most of his life believing Stefano was his biological father until Daphne revealed that wasn't the case, leading him to be able to be with Renée, who was tragically murdered by André DiMera soon after.

In addition, Renée believed Lee to be her sister for most of her life until the reveal that she was her mother and Stefano her father.

Though this isn't quite a parental change, we learned Frankie Donner, soon adopted by Shawn and Caroline, to be the biological brother of Carly Manning, their real names being Katerina Von Leuschner and Francois Von Leuschner. Royalty figures which make each a princess and prince, respectively.

Vivian Alamain raised Nikki Alamain as her own, having stolen him from Lawrence and Carly.

Jack learned that Duke Johnson was his biological father and not Harper Deveraux.

Lucas, not knowing his father's identity, learned Bill Horton was his biological father.

We still don't know the identity of Nathan Horton's father.
Edited by Bright Eyes, Dec 4 2011, 11:10 AM.

annie21

Then, of course, there's Jack Deveraux, who learned that he wasn't the son of Senator Harper Deveraux and his wife Camille, but rather the son of the maid, Jo Johnson and her violent husband Duke. And instead of being an only child, he was brother to Steve and Adrienne. That was also a great reveal with both a well-told lead up and lots of aftermath.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Bright Eyes
Dec 4 2011, 10:48 AM
Bright Eyes
DiMeraFan67

And, counting that, we all know about the infamous Mike Horton story line, where most people were kept in the dark about Bill, not Mickey, being his true father.

Melissa's paternity also came into question before she was even born. Linda, not yet knowing Mickey was sterile, truthfully believed that Mickey was the father from their affair. Once a DNA test was done, it was proven that Melissa's biological father was Linda's ex-boyfriend, Jim Phillips.

ETA: Even before Mike, David Banning was adopted by Scott and Janet Banning. He lived as Bradley Banning for about a year and a half until Julie figured out he was her baby and successfully sued for full custody after Janet died.

And, more fresh in the viewer's minds, is the baby switch story between Hope and Lexie. The first baby was J.T. Reiber, son of an affair between Glen Reiber and Dr. Rolf's niece, Margo. The second baby was Zach Brady, who Abe and Lexie raised as Isaac.

And later on, Shawn, Belle, Philip and Mimi believed Claire to be Philip and Belle's daughter, but later learned she was, in fact, the daughter of Shawn and Belle. This mix up was all thanks to The Gloved Hand, a.k.a. E.J. DiMera and his lackey, Philip Lockhart.

Furthermore, for a good while Rebecca North kept Doug and others in the dark that Doug was the biological father of her son Dougie LeClair through artificial insemination. When Doug found out, he eventually reliquished any rights to the boy as by that time Robert LeClair was his true father in all the ways that mattered.

And Sarah Horton's paternity changed when it was revealed that Neil Curtis had inseminated Maggie with his sperm and not the deceased Evan Whyland's.

We also had the change of maternity for Eve Donovan when they ret-conned Gabriel Pascal to be her mother and not Emma Donovan.

Tony DiMera lived most of his life believing Stefano was his biological father until Daphne revealed that wasn't the case, leading him to be able to be with Renée, who was tragically murdered by André DiMera soon after.

In addition, Renée believed Lee to be her sister for most of her life until the reveal that she was her mother and Stefano her father.

Though this isn't quite a parental change, we learned Frankie Donner, soon adopted by Shawn and Caroline, to be the biological brother of Carly Manning, their real names being Katerina Von Leuschner and Francois Von Leuschner. Royalty figures which make each a princess and prince, respectively.

Vivian Alamain raised Nikki Alamain as her own, having stolen him from Lawrence and Carly.

Jack learned that Duke Johnson was his biological father and not Harper Deveraux.

Lucas, not knowing his father's identity, learned Bill Horton was his biological father.

Very good! Except the niece was not Margo but MarLO and PATRICK Lockhart was EJ's lackey! I normally don't correct people's work but I know that stuff bugs you!

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Dec 4 2011, 11:43 AM
Bright Eyes
Dec 4 2011, 10:48 AM
Bright Eyes
DiMeraFan67

Very good! Except the niece was not Margo but MarLO and PATRICK Lockhart was EJ's lackey! I normally don't correct people's work but I know that stuff bugs you!
Fuck, I'm just making mistakes all over the damn place. LoL

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Wow, so life is crazy! Did I miss Philip? And, of course, the alien twins.........

six
Member Avatar

Will was originally thought to be Austin's and turned out to be Lucas'. Johnny was thought to be Lucas's son while in the womb and for a few hours afterward.

Ladyofthelake, what did you miss about Philip? His paternity wasn't ever in question, if that's what you mean.

I don't remember his name, but for awhile, everyone thought Chloe's father was a colleague of Nancy's father (who'd raped Nancy). Later, they found out that she was Craig's daughter.

Almost everyone thought Hope's second son, the real JT, was the product of a random fling she had. Stefano and John both thought they were the father. Bo turned out to be the dad.

Edited by six, Dec 17 2011, 12:46 PM.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

There was speculation that Chloe would turn out to be Stefano's daughter for a time. There love of opera and Stefano always had a soft spot for Chloe which terrified Nancy.
Edited by darraholic, Dec 17 2011, 12:48 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Don't forget that we STILL don't know who Greta's father is....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply