Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Variety: Prospect Park still shopping online soaps
Topic Started: Dec 7 2011, 05:20 PM (1,239 Views)
Ellie

Thanks to We Love Soaps for the tip!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047178?refCatId=14

Prospect Park still shopping online soaps

Company pursues partners for ABC serials despite earlier statement

By Andrew Wallenstein

The deaths of "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" may have been greatly exaggerated.

Prospect Park, the production company that licensed digital rights to the soaps from ABC, has continued to hold meetings with other parties exploring options for keeping them going online, according to sources familiar with discussions.

These talks come just weeks after Prospect Park issued a statement suggesting it was done pursuing plans to revive the soaps. Reps for the company could not be immediately reached for comment.

While the discussions were characterized as preliminary, one of the options Prospect Park is said to be considering is bringing in an overseas firm to turn the shows into a co-production. That may or may not allow the shows to circumvent the unions, which couldn't come to terms with Prospect Park on compensation for talent on both sides of the camera.

Even though Prospect Park signaled they were no longer pursuing the soaps, they still retain the digital rights that ABC licensed to them that last for a full year after those shows end on ABC. That gives the firm the ability to exercise those rights up until September 2012 for "AMC" and January 2013 for "OTL."

In addition, Prospect Park could also still be sitting on the financing collected to fund production. It's also notable that the company characterized its abandonment of plans as a "suspension" of their efforts in the announcement, as opposed to a final withdrawal.

Sources confirmed that Prospect Park principals Jeff Kwatinetz and Rich Frank are still intent on bringing the shows to the Internet, where they would serve as the anchors for a broader online-network play.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Now SEE! (GASP) I need PP to get the hell on somewhere & stop messing with my emotions.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Oh FFS...they're cancelled....they're not cancelled....they're cancelled....WHICH IS IT?

The poor fans caught in the middle of all this bullshit...shame on PP and ABC!

skiman1208
Member Avatar

This has seriously been an unmitigated disaster! I have said my goodbye's to AMC and I miss it terribly. I WILL NOT get my hopes up again.

RoseVioletDaisy
Member Avatar

PP must own a ton of stock in Excedrin to be so intent on giving so many headaches to so many people.

AMC won't happen. All the cast members who have spoken out seem pretty clear that they don't trust these people one bit and almost certainly won't work for them even if they could put something together. OLTL's cast, while frustrated, might've been more amenable but if PP is trying to skirt the unions, they won't get any actors willing to go along. The actors who signed with PP did so knowing that their contracts were provisional, pending union approval. No union approval, no binding contract.

This is a clusterfuck of monumental proportions.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

They need to crap or get off the pot!! SERIOUSLY~

I don't even want to hear anything about this until I see that they funding and are starting production. This back and forth is old!

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Who does their PR? I have no doubt they went into this with good faith, but the PR side has been handled so poorly. Now the actors have turned on them. They need better advisors to rally those fans, actors, etc. Right now they may be trying something,b ut it's hard to care. Considering they DO have the rights, I wonder why they don't try to redevelop either show as a primetime spin-off, remake or continuation. It would be easier to get funding to shoot a pilot and get a cast for that.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Yeah, not getting my hopes up again at all. This is getting old! LOL

Tammy
Member Avatar

If they want to do this they need to pick ONE of the soaps... and they need to make the show shorter, half hour at the most! It's unlikely they will get both soaps done with them both being a hour long. Start small then grow if it works!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Tammy
Dec 8 2011, 10:26 AM
If they want to do this they need to pick ONE of the soaps... and they need to make the show shorter, half hour at the most! It's unlikely they will get both soaps done with them both being a hour long. Start small then grow if it works!
My ex-wife said that before going on to marry several more times! :unsure: I never saw this working out and, while I'd be thrilled if it did, I just don't believe it will!

six
Member Avatar

Tammy
Dec 8 2011, 10:26 AM
It could have been interesting if they figured out a way to put all the actors who wanted to stay into a new show that was a combination of AMC/OLTL that aired once a week.

I'll be stunned if they ever bring the shows back in any form.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I have a hard time seeing this work at all with an established soap like OLTL or AMC. With a new soap, yeah maybe.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

talbab1994
Dec 8 2011, 07:03 AM
I don't even want to hear anything about this until I see that they funding and are starting production. This back and forth is old!
I think a big problem is that they are probably shopping the fan interest in the shows in order to secure funding, so they have to keep stoking that interest if they have any hope of success. And the more the fans feel jerked around, the less patience and faith in the project they have and the less passionate they are about it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

I would really like to see OLTL continue so good luck to them. I hope they can make it work.

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

PP should give this shit a rest, nobody buys whatever they are selling, they are in well over their head.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply