Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ABC Ratings Report - Dec 5 to Dec 9; Y&R/DAYS hit new lows in 18-49
Topic Started: Dec 15 2011, 02:54 PM (3,272 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

ABC released their weekly ratings report for the week of Dec 5th to Dec 9th...here is all the relevant soap information:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/15/abc-sweeps-daytimes-1-rank-across-all-target-women-demos/113903/

Live + Same Day Numbers
(Compared to Last Week)

Total Viewers
DAYS - 2,408,000 (-51,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1.) Y&R - 1.2 (-.1) <-----new low
2.) GH - 1.0 (same)
3.) OLTL - 0.9 (-.1)
DAYS - 0.8 (same) <----- ties low

Women 18-49 Viewers
1.) Y&R - 756,000 (-47,000) <-----new low *
2.) GH - 610,000 (-41,000)
3.) OLTL - 603,000 (-63,000)
DAYS - 532,000 (-55,000) <-----new low **

*Previous Low: 803,000 (Week of Nov 28 to Dec 2)
**Previous Low: 543,000 (Week of Nov 7 to Nov 11)

Women 25-54 Rating
1.) Y&R - 1.8
2.) GH - 1.3
2.) OLTL - 1.3
DAYS - 1.1

Women 25-54 Viewers
1.) Y&R - 1,083,000
2.) GH - 788,000
3.) OLTL - 781,000
DAYS - 670,000

Women 18-34 Rating/Viewers
DAYS - 0.5 (-.1)
DAYS - 159,000
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Dec 15 2011, 06:09 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

That is a new low for DAYS in Women 18-49 Viewers....TERRIBLE!
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Dec 15 2011, 03:03 PM.

DaysForever
Member Avatar

Not fucking surprised. The pace seriously needs to be picked up if they want to IMPROVE their ratings. Those numbers are unacceptable. Atrocious.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

MarDar has now brought this show TWICE to all-time lows in Women 18-49...the demographic NBC holds above everything else.

Not even Dena Higley performed as bad as this.

DaysForever
Member Avatar

Hopefully the material coming up doesn't suck because we'll be going through THREE months of new lows... *sigh*

badaddiction
Member Avatar

I haven't read any spoilers that indicates - at least to me - that the show will be getting better anytime soon.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DaysForever
Member Avatar

The fact that the show sucks honestly seems to be a unanimous vote on the board...How come nobody noticed this before they started taping is beyond me.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

If DAYS was a 2 out of 10 under Higley it is AT BEST a 3 out of 10 under MarDar...and even that is debateable.

The show is just a pure bag of extreme suckage...I am totally convinced that it is unsavable and will be cancelled soon.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Dec 15 2011, 03:34 PM.

Checkers
Member Avatar

LMAO @ Y&R. That show is a hot mess.

DaysForever
Member Avatar

I agree with you completely. I didn't even watch under Higley because the snippets I saw were so bad. I'm barely hanging on here. According to Corday, the wheels were supposed to have started spinning by mid-November all the way through March (the stuff he had most recently read). Really? If all we're going to get out of that is TWO shitty kidnapping episodes with TWO cops trying to salvage two characters whom I don't care about...I don't know what I'll do. Plus Roman could've been there, but no. Patrick the saviour was. These little plot points having ulterior motives (i.e. putting couples together) are really starting to piss me off. Give us some damn drama, fuck. It seems like nothing happens for a good period of time, then out of nowhere, something "BIG" is supposed to catch our attention. NO. Continous drama should be what is written as well as executed.

I really hope that I choke on my words. I really do.

josephm68

I have to say that I have not posted on here before. However, I'm quite saddened by the constant comments of negativity towards Days of Our Lives. Are we watching the same show? I mean do we REALLY want to go back to the Days of people shoved in coffins with Horrific dialogue for MONTHS? The show is trying. I remember the golden days of Another World in the early to mid 70's. I remember the golden days of the Dobson's Santa Barbara, and I remember the good days of the mid-late 80's Days. In my honest opinion, Days is not that bad. Do viewers even know good quality anymore? If Another world was on today from it's hey day it would be panned as "boring", "slow", "dull" etc. and after being on the board for a few years just reading I remember hearing that it's nothing but plot plot plot and that the show needed to get back to "character driven stories"....lol...well compared to ANYTHING else out there now, they have. And now that they have...it's boring. Really? I mean have you people not HEARD the dialogue? Have you not seen the actors like Will, Abby, Jack, Marlena, etc. given the best material to act out IN YEARS? I used to think Will was a terrible teen actor until someone finally started writing for him...I'm shocked more are not watching the show. My husband used to walk out of the room whenever I would watch this show...he'd make fun of the dialogue, the coffins, the bad acting, and utter crap what was on the screen FOR YEARS. Now, guess who's hooked? Is it crazy good everyday? Nope....but no show ever was even in their hay days. We need to pull behind this show...it's great...and I'm convinced that fans just don't know good story anymore (at least the younger fans) because they've never seen it...but I have and I just wish more people would give this show a break. I think the new writers are phenomonal and have done a great job with a show that was UNBEARABLE...and not watchable. And, it's only been a little over 2 months! gosh...I dunno...maybe it's just me.

jane1978

MarDar have no idea how to write a continuous drama. Even Higley atleast knew she needs some "A" story which will lead the show and some "B" and "C" stories around that. MarDar have no "A" story. The original stories introduced during the reset are still stuck in the same place while they are starting new stories on top of that. Nothing is resolved, nothing moves forward. The so called character drama is completely plot-driven and exists only to force their agendas. I accepted long ago September 2013 will be the final curtain date but with the reset I atleast hoped we will get one last hurrah. Instead all these big names and returns are wasted in a mess nobody cares about. They could just keep Higley and Tomlin and get the same (sometime better) results for half the price.

I have still this little hope Brianīs return will mark the change and we will see the show slowly getting better as they start to react on feedback and tweak the show around, but I donīt know. It seems MarDar still believes this is entertaining and good storytelling.

Alisonlover

This what you get when you don't have James and Alison sharing scenes together it was them that brought the ratings up greating by them during Johnny's disapearance and then they had sex those two weeks brought Days its highest ratings in ages. Now they gone back to the same boring couples Safe and Ecole no more scenes between them and guess the they tanked again. I knew last week would be terrible check what happened three days of the teenagers and their boring lives and this week won't be much better. I am always right when James and Alison had all those emotional scenes a few weeks back i said i bet the ratings will go and they did and i knew right away once they stopped their scenes together they would tank.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DaysForever
Dec 15 2011, 03:09 PM
Not fucking surprised. The pace seriously needs to be picked up if they want to IMPROVE their ratings. Those numbers are unacceptable. Atrocious.
The funny thing is, when Marlene and Darrell first took over as the show's headwriters, they promised they were going to pick up the pace and make every episode must-see. They talked about having "wow" moments in every episode and "Oh my God" moments at least once a week. There were promises of less talk, more action. Then there was this...
Quote:

Marlene McPherson: "No more sitting around the table TALKING about what you're going to do. Let's do it! Let's show the audience. That's what we want to do. That's our goal."
Thus far, minus an episode or two in November, I haven't seen any of that. There hasn't been any action or excitement. All we've seen are characters shuffling from place to place talking about the same tedious shit over and over and over. Yawn.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

So not surprised. We got about 2-3 weeks of more dramatic epis toward the end of sweeps and then a whole bunch of nothing. MarDar simply must increase the drama, stakes and urgency if they are going to pull in the viewers consistently. The show looks somewhat better, the cast is better and the majority of characters are written more true-to-form, but NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!!!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Agreed...NOTHING IS HAPPENING...the show is SPINNING its wheels....and no this show is NO WHERE near its golden era "quality wise"!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I still can't believe how many 18-34 year olds have stopped watching soaps. Days at a 0.5? The year before Passions was canceled they scored a 2.2/8 in that category. It just amazes me

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

I mean do we REALLY want to go back to the Days of people shoved in coffins with Horrific dialogue for MONTHS?
I could do without the horrific dialogue, but I would be thrilled if the show went back to telling stories like Buried Alive, Maison Blanche, Aremid, Lady In A Cage, The Secret Room, etc. It was that type of storytelling that attracted me to the show in the first place. The traditional stories are fine, but when the show starts getting too talky it bores the piss out of me. I need things to happen if I'm going to devote an hour of my day to this show five days a week.
Quote:

Do viewers even know good quality anymore?
It's all a matter of opinion. What's shit to one person is gold to another.

I do think that viewers sometimes don't know what they really want. They beg for their favorite couple to find happiness and then as soon as they do they're bitching because "happy is boring." Fans are fickle. Because of that, the writers need to just write the best story they possibly can and forget about pandering to the fanbases.
Quote:

If Another world was on today from it's hey day it would be panned as "boring", "slow", "dull" etc.
If it was anything like Days of Our Lives is right now, then yes... I would most likely find it boring. I have no problem with slow-burn stories (most JER fans don't) as long as things actually happen. When every act of every episode features the same characters sitting around talking about the same things they've already discussed 100 times in the 100 episodes prior, it gets a bit monotonous.
Quote:

I'm convinced that fans just don't know good story anymore (at least the younger fans) because they've never seen it...but I have and I just wish more people would give this show a break.
Like I said before, it's all a matter of personal taste. What's shit to one person is gold to another and vice versa. Some people prefer the quieter character-driven arcs -- others enjoy the bigger, more fantastical arcs. I prefer a mix of both. Unfortunately, Marlene and Darrell aren't delivering both. They've proven themselves to be great character writers (for the most part), but they can't write an exciting story to save their souls.

CalAggie87

I worried about this when I heard all the hype about the new set, and all the talk from MarDar. I would have preferred more promises, it seems like they are politicians. Promise a bunch of stuff, knowing the are incapable to deliver. It really is not that hard to do so. They seem to have some good break-down and script writers, they have a good solid cast, whose characters have a long rich history from which to draw. They have some of the best couples in all soaps.

They really should have found a way instead of the mini-plots have a couple of weeks of retro-episodes for those returning characters/actors, and some for those who were on canvas. That would have given more time to create material, it would have helped viewers who were unfamiliar with the returnees to see why there were so special to many fans, it most of all would have slowed down the time between taping and airing. That is the major problem with the show. In the past they were able to more easily do damage control. Also, they would begin change focus onto characters who were working.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Quote:

I'm convinced that fans just don't know good story anymore (at least the younger fans) because they've never seen it...but I have and I just wish more people would give this show a break.

Well, I'm 48 and have been watching soaps since I was 5 or 6, and there is not one storyline on Days that I'm interested in. Yes, there are characters that I truly like, but their storyline? No. The show is a complete bore, and I, too, can't waste an hour watching the mess that is Days.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply