Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Guiding Light DVDs starting in January
Topic Started: Dec 27 2011, 07:22 PM (6,531 Views)
RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

I put some details here (what I can reveal at this moment) about the upcoming Guiding Light Classics DVD
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/12/gldvd.html

along with some clues I suspect most fans will get. :)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Can't wait! I'm especially looking forward to seeing Quint & Nola, the Bauers, Roger Thorpe, & Chris Bernau's Alan Spaulding again.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

jam6242
Dec 27 2011, 07:51 PM
Chris Bernau's Alan Spaulding again.
The only Alan Spaulding, who should have passed along with Bernau as Ron Raines was always a complete failure in the role. Just like John Ingle and Jed Allan for Edward Quartermaine.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Nola and Quint! I loved her fantasies about Quint-- such fun!! LOVED their wedding too! It was so Nola!

The Four Musketeers!! That was such a terrific storyline.

For me, this was the heyday of GL-- this was the time I would never think of missing an episode of GL!! Can't wait until it comes out for purchase!!

jam6242
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Dec 27 2011, 07:53 PM
jam6242
Dec 27 2011, 07:51 PM
Chris Bernau's Alan Spaulding again.
The only Alan Spaulding, who should have passed along with Bernau as Ron Raines was always a complete failure in the role. Just like John Ingle and Jed Allan for Edward Quartermaine.
Agree, Chris Bernau will always be Alan Spaulding to me.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I hope there's some early 90's content on this, as this was the last era the show was on top form and exceeded in all relevant fronts.

Some stuff from the Dobsons era would be great too.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Dec 27 2011, 08:39 PM.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Roger will we know what is on the disks before they are available for sale or will we have to wait until Mid-January?

If there isn't any early 90s content, there will be whining from me as that is when I started watching the program. Everything referenced except for one or two things were first half of the 1980s...so I hope we get some early 90s material from that period as there wasn't any (on the first set of ATWT from those years.)

Mason
Member Avatar

Wonderful news! Looking forward to it!

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

~bl~
Dec 27 2011, 08:41 PM
Roger will we know what is on the disks before they are available for sale or will we have to wait until Mid-January?

If there isn't any early 90s content, there will be whining from me as that is when I started watching the program. Everything referenced except for one or two things were first half of the 1980s...so I hope we get some early 90s material from that period as there wasn't any (on the first set of ATWT from those years.)
As soon as they tell me I can reveal more, I will. Not even sure I was supposed to tease things.

There are only 20 episodes over 30 years so obviously not even every year can be included but we did our best to represent different eras. ;) Hopefully by the end of this year you'll be able to purchase a whole season of GL online.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Dec 27 2011, 08:20 PM
I hope there's some early 90's content on this, as this was the last era the show was on top form and exceeded in all relevant fronts.

Some stuff from the Dobsons era would be great too.
Consecutive eps start Oct. 1979 but did find some old tapes last week. Hope to screen them soon and include them in future sets. May have the very first hourlong GL. A couple of the tapes were from Nov. 1977 and a couple from 1976. More on those once I've had a chance to take a look at them.

~bl~
Member Avatar

I don't expect every year to be included, but I'm hoping we don't have over a 5 year gap hitting in the early 90s.

If I got to choose when I wanted to stream from, I would start at the earliest possible as if it is in the 70s then I'd get to see Zaslow. It would just be disappointing if there was only something from 1980 with Roger and nothing more... If nothing from around the time of Maureen Reardon Bauer's death was on the set, I would be a surprised, as while it was controversial it was well done. (And no you need not say anything in regards to that as I do not want you to get into trouble.)

jam6242
Member Avatar

I'm hoping we'll get some episodes with Rita Stapleton (Lenore Kasdorf) at some point. Loved her!

Mason
Member Avatar

jam6242
Dec 27 2011, 09:06 PM
I'm hoping we'll get some episodes with Rita Stapleton (Lenore Kasdorf) at some point. Loved her!
Yes. I'm still hoping we get the episode where Roger stalks Rita through the hall of mirrors.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I hope Beverlee McKinsey is well-represented on this GL set. We likely won't see her best work on AW, should an AW set eventually be released with content from '79 onwards.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Dec 27 2011, 09:16 PM
I hope Beverlee McKinsey is well-represented on this GL set. We likely won't see her best work on AW, should an AW set eventually be released with content from '79 onwards.
I personally think she's the best ever.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 27 2011, 09:14 PM
jam6242
Yes. I'm still hoping we get the episode where Roger stalks Rita through the hall of mirrors.
"Enough is Enough" ruled that one out. Music rights were a factor here, moreso than ATWT. Eventually we can release that episode with a different song. It was so tied together for me I'm not sure how it will seem without Donna Summer.

Mason
Member Avatar

RogerNewcomb
Dec 27 2011, 09:19 PM
Mason
jam6242
"Enough is Enough" ruled that one out. Music rights were a factor here, moreso than ATWT. Eventually we can release that episode with a different song. It was so tied together for me I'm not sure how it will seem without Donna Summer.
Aw, I didn't even think about that. I agree, the song added a lot to those scenes.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 27 2011, 09:21 PM
RogerNewcomb
Mason
jam6242
Aw, I didn't even think about that. I agree, the song added a lot to those scenes.
Truly at the Four Musketeers Prom.
Almost Paradise for Beth & Lujack on the beach.

When I think of 80s soap moments where was usually a pop song being played. DAYS did montages all the time. Soaps paid for one time use of songs back then and it's a fortune to get the rights now. So the only ones that get to stay are usually the public domain Christmas songs.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

RogerNewcomb
Dec 27 2011, 09:26 PM
Mason
Dec 27 2011, 09:21 PM
RogerNewcomb
Mason

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Truly at the Four Musketeers Prom.
Almost Paradise for Beth & Lujack on the beach.

When I think of 80s soap moments where was usually a pop song being played. DAYS did montages all the time. Soaps paid for one time use of songs back then and it's a fortune to get the rights now. So the only ones that get to stay are usually the public domain Christmas songs.
IMO, that's why I think soaps that wrote their own love themes were smart. If 'Santa Barbara' ever sees the light of DVD day, I bet they won't have a problem with Cruz & Eden because 'The Change In Me' was written for the show (If I'm not mistaken).
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Can't wait!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply