Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Guiding Light DVDs starting in January
Topic Started: Dec 27 2011, 07:22 PM (6,522 Views)
into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Matt, didn't SOAPnet say they tried for the rights to Santa Barbara, but music was too expensive? I seem to recall hearing that around the time Another World was picked up.

Roger, I notice you mention scattered episodes of GL, which is to be expected. Do you know if the same is true for ATWT? I think we all expect there to be episodes here and there that could be included later on, if not continuous.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

into_the_skyline
Dec 27 2011, 10:16 PM
Matt, didn't SOAPnet say they tried for the rights to Santa Barbara, but music was too expensive? I seem to recall hearing that around the time Another World was picked up.

Roger, I notice you mention scattered episodes of GL, which is to be expected. Do you know if the same is true for ATWT? I think we all expect there to be episodes here and there that could be included later on, if not continuous.
I have not physically seen the old ATWT tapes pre-1979 with my own eyes but we know there episodes at the Paley Center or other places so they may very well be there. Eileen Fulton told me she has an old master tape from 1961 which I'm going to pick up at some point.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, I was speaking specifically about Cruz & Eden and their theme, but SB used a LOT of contemporary music, as well. Joe & Kelly's theme song was sung by Peobo Bryson and I know that Mason & Julia's theme was by Dan Hill. And CC & Sophia's theme song was by Michael Feinstein.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

This is a bit selfish, but I hope SoapClassics releases all set with the best of those Inside the Light shows. I thought some of them were well written and acted.

I am glad a GL set is being released. I'm way more interested in that than an ATWT set.

Tom

This is good to hear and all, but is there any way some of the NBC soaps could get some love? I'm sure there are folks (especially abroad, where it was most popular) would love to see "Sunset Beach," along with classic "Passions" and other soaps. This deal (which already released ATWT, right?) seems to be in cahoots with the P&G shows. Is there no hope? (Or more appropriate, no Hope? lol...)

~bl~
Member Avatar

SoapClassics.com only has the rights to P&G shows at this time.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

fritosguy
Dec 28 2011, 07:11 PM
This is good to hear and all, but is there any way some of the NBC soaps could get some love? I'm sure there are folks (especially abroad, where it was most popular) would love to see "Sunset Beach," along with classic "Passions" and other soaps. This deal (which already released ATWT, right?) seems to be in cahoots with the P&G shows. Is there no hope? (Or more appropriate, no Hope? lol...)
SoapClassics licensed six P&G soaps. I would love all the soaps to be released on DVD but it's up to the owners--ABC, Sony, Spelling, etc.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Pretty much all of Sunset Beach is available online.

Tom

RogerNewcomb
Dec 28 2011, 09:55 PM
fritosguy
Dec 28 2011, 07:11 PM
SoapClassics licensed six P&G soaps. I would love all the soaps to be released on DVD but it's up to the owners--ABC, Sony, Spelling, etc.
Oh, thanks. I knew very little about SoapClassics.
Still, here's hoping something can work out for fans of the other nets!

Tom

darraholic
Dec 28 2011, 10:09 PM
Well, the same could be said of Days' most popular stories. But that's just on YouTube.
You know what's really cool? Seeing these soaps in great quality (because a lot of these shows few us saw when digital TVs were just coming out.) I still get a kick out of running past Star Trek: TNG episodes and seeing them like I've never seen them before just because of the great quality!

~bl~
Member Avatar

Six P&G shows = EON, AW, ATWT, GL, SFT and Texas????

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

fritosguy
Dec 28 2011, 11:57 PM
darraholic
Dec 28 2011, 10:09 PM
Well, the same could be said of Days' most popular stories. But that's just on YouTube.
You know what's really cool? Seeing these soaps in great quality (because a lot of these shows few us saw when digital TVs were just coming out.) I still get a kick out of running past Star Trek: TNG episodes and seeing them like I've never seen them before just because of the great quality!
In watching them back, there is a marked difference than seeing old clips on YouTube. Some of the more recent years of soaps on YouTube are better quality but the older stuff misses quite a bit of detail compared to a remastered tape. I was watching bits of the Quint and Nola wedding on YouTube and some of the guests in the background were blurry, for example.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

~bl~
Dec 29 2011, 01:50 AM
Yes. Those are the sex where consecutive episodes from the late '70s forward are preserved.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

RogerNewcomb
Dec 29 2011, 12:17 PM
~bl~
Yes. Those are the sex where consecutive episodes from the late '70s forward are preserved.
"sex" Freudian Slip much? lol

I still long for those hit-and-miss episodes from vintage P&G like EARLY 70s ATWT, GL, AW, etc. along with ANYTHING available of Somerset, Lovers and Friends, and For Richer For Poorer. I don't even need consecutive runs (although it would be nice). I'll take anything from that I can get!

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Matt
Dec 29 2011, 04:38 PM
RogerNewcomb
Dec 29 2011, 12:17 PM
~bl~
"sex" Freudian Slip much? lol

I still long for those hit-and-miss episodes from vintage P&G like EARLY 70s ATWT, GL, AW, etc. along with ANYTHING available of Somerset, Lovers and Friends, and For Richer For Poorer. I don't even need consecutive runs (although it would be nice). I'll take anything from that I can get!
Ha. That's funny.

I agree. I would love to watch the entire Steve/Rachel/Alice triangle from beginning to end and Robin Strasser's full run as Rachel on AW. I have an old 1968 episode where she's a teeny-bopper which is pretty funny.

Tom

Robin Strasser as a teen? I had no idea such a tape existed. That would be quite the find.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

fritosguy
Dec 29 2011, 08:29 PM
Robin Strasser as a teen? I had no idea such a tape existed. That would be quite the find.
It's very poor quality but she calls someone "square" or something like that. It's hilarious, at Lenore's wedding reception.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

RogerNewcomb
Dec 29 2011, 08:47 PM
fritosguy
It's very poor quality but she calls someone "square" or something like that. It's hilarious, at Lenore's wedding reception.
I've SEEN that! That's a pretty momentous episode because besides being Walter & Lenore's wedding, the reception is when Rachel (AND Alice!) meet Steve Frame for the first time! Rachel was already married to Russ at that point.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Matt
Dec 29 2011, 11:26 PM
RogerNewcomb
Dec 29 2011, 08:47 PM
fritosguy
I've SEEN that! That's a pretty momentous episode because besides being Walter & Lenore's wedding, the reception is when Rachel (AND Alice!) meet Steve Frame for the first time! Rachel was already married to Russ at that point.
I sent a copy to Agnes Nixon. They were thinking of using it in her Lifetime Achievement Award montage. Her daughters are in the wedding party (as flower girls I think). She wrote me a nice hand-written note in return saying my handwriting was so bad she could barely read my return address. :) I would enjoy anything from this time, blurry or not.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Episode list here: http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/01/gldvd1.html Will be able to order soon hopefully, as in minutes assuming no technical difficulties.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply