Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Guiding Light DVDs starting in January
Topic Started: Dec 27 2011, 07:22 PM (6,302 Views)
RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Free episode available to view too:http://www.soapclassics.com/index.php/free-online-episode.html

August 26, 1983 I wanted this one on the DVD but it had music issues and no time to fix so you can watch it for free, and the next episode (the aftermath) is on the DVD. Both amazing episodes.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Very excited about this release. Strangely enough, I was just wondering earlier today when we'd learn more about the GL DVDs.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I was just about to post that Soap Classics updated their website with the new section. LOL. Will we be able to purchase on Amazon again?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Just watched the free episode. Thanks Roger! I never paid attention to GL until about 2004, so it was weird seeing Billy, Josh, Phillip, etc. looking so young. It was also weird to see someone other than Ron Raines playing Alan.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 18 2012, 06:00 PM
Just watched the free episode. Thanks Roger! I never paid attention to GL until about 2004, so it was weird seeing Billy, Josh, Phillip, etc. looking so young. It was also weird to see someone other than Ron Raines playing Alan.
Chris Bernau was a really special actor. Ron Raines did a great job, but there was "something" that Bernau had that made him so unique as Alan. He died way too young.

speedbump210

Damn... I haven't posted on here in awhile.

The set looks pretty good, in terms of episode selection. It must have been ridiculously hard to pick 20 episodes, keeping in mind music rights and other logistical issues. I would have LOVED to have seen one of the Cliff House episodes, but even that one, I believe, has music issues depending on which episode picked. I'm not going to lie... Not *too* thrilled there's a 2009 episode mixed in. I'd rather leave Peapack as a rather shitty forgotten dream.

Hopefully we can get a Volume 2 for more episodes.

By the way... Really small typo correction: The Maureen episode from Disc 2 is from 1993.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

speedbump210
Jan 18 2012, 06:26 PM

The set looks pretty good, in terms of episode selection. It must have been ridiculously hard to pick 20 episodes, keeping in mind music rights and other logistical issues. I would have LOVED to have seen one of the Cliff House episodes, but even that one, I believe, has music issues depending on which episode picked. I'm not going to lie... Not *too* thrilled there's a 2009 episode mixed in. I'd rather leave Peapack as a rather shitty forgotten dream.

By the way... Really small typo correction: The Maureen episode from Disc 2 is from 1993.
I've noticed a few typos on the website (shouldn't be on the actual DVD). I'm waiting till the dust clear to tell them in case they are still updating.

There definitely will be more as long as these sets keep selling.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

RogerNewcomb
Jan 18 2012, 07:23 PM
speedbump210

I've noticed a few typos on the website (shouldn't be on the actual DVD). I'm waiting till the dust clear to tell them in case they are still updating.

Great news! I hope they can also somehow acquire the rights to the NBC/ABC/CBS soaps (Not sure how that would work... I think the Networks would have to give permission). It would be a great treat for fans of the recently cancelled shows to see some old episodes.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Casey
Jan 18 2012, 07:55 PM
RogerNewcomb
Jan 18 2012, 07:23 PM
speedbump210

Great news! I hope they can also somehow acquire the rights to the NBC/ABC/CBS soaps (Not sure how that would work... I think the Networks would have to give permission). It would be a great treat for fans of the recently cancelled shows to see some old episodes.
There's enough work for years here just encoding these episodes. Would be nice though. Hopefully ABC or Sony or any other production companies will release more shows on DVD.

speedbump210

My DVDs arrived yesterday. Been mostly skipping around, but there is one scene that I keep rewinding. I love the 1988 episode. It must have been Maureen Garrett's second or third day back and she has a great scene with Elizabeth Dennehey's Blake, talking about not liking being back because of the "ghosts." Sigh... If they only knew what was about to happen...

I'm a little concerned with the covering up of the music on this episode, mostly, that you can still mostly hear it if you listen closely enough. I really hope it's enough to avoid copyright infringment suits because I want more of these collections.

Edited by speedbump210, Jan 28 2012, 05:59 PM.

Mason

I'm watching the Nola reveal episode from 1981(?) and it's just fantastic. God, Nola was a magnificent character, probably my favorite on GL. The scene in the boarding house kitchen!

(Tony Reardon, on the other hand, is annoying as hell.)

jam6242
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 28 2012, 06:18 PM
I'm watching the Nola reveal episode from 1981(?) and it's just fantastic. God, Nola was a magnificent character, probably my favorite on GL. The scene in the boarding house kitchen!

(Tony Reardon, on the other hand, is annoying as hell.)
Nola was my favorite GL character and one of my all-time favorite soap characters. I was totally sympathetic to Nola in those scenes (when I first watched and now) even though she was the wrongdoer. Lisa was able to make you understand Nola's motivations and root for her. It's a shame what was done to the character in the 90s, with her ridiculous obsession with Buzz Cooper, who would never have been the type of man she would be attracted to.

Mason

Yes, Nola is quickly becoming one of my favorite soap characters in general as well as GL characters.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 28 2012, 06:41 PM
Yes, Nola is quickly becoming one of my favorite soap characters in general as well as GL characters.
OT but I love your avi! Joel was always one of my favorites, I followed him from Dark Shadows to all of his other soaps.

Mason

jam6242
Jan 28 2012, 06:48 PM
Mason
Jan 28 2012, 06:41 PM
OT but I love your avi! Joel was always one of my favorites, I followed him from Dark Shadows to all of his other soaps.
Thanks! I loved him on Dark Shadows and what I saw of him on the AOL episodes of The Edge of Night. Plus, he was gorgeous. Such a shame he died at a relatively early age.

And you've got a great avatar, yourself -- that's a fabulous picture of Susan!

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Next GL DVD is a bonus 5-episode disc like ATWTs...
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/02/revadvd.html

I chose a free online from 28 years ago and hope you enjoy.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

New GL DVD http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/03/exclusive-soapclassics-releases-new.html

aveRex
Member Avatar

got it! these are great. please keep them coming.
Edited by aveRex, Mar 26 2012, 05:32 PM.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Bauer DVD out today for GL fans
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/04/bauerdvd.html

I dug up a 1973 episode and included it in this set.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

The last ten episodes of both "As the World Turns" and "Guiding Light" have been released on DVD (Farewell to Oakdale and Farewell to Springfield). Roger, you guys have been doing a phenomenal job on getting these sets out there. I feel like a new one has just been released every time I check my email. Lol. http://www.soapclassics.com/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply