Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Guiding Light DVDs starting in January
Topic Started: Dec 27 2011, 07:22 PM (6,528 Views)
into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

It'll be interesting to see how that GL dvd sells, since I know lots of people wanted an Otalia DVD. While not focused on them, I know they were important to the last year of GL so I'm sure they heavily feature.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

New Guiding Light DVD on sale at Amazon (will be available on the SC website later this week):
http://www.amazon.com/Guiding-Light-Trial-Jennifer-Richards/dp/B009OOXXLG/

I wrote up some episode descriptions here:
http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/10/jennifer-richards-trial-new-guiding.html

SpiralParadox
Member Avatar

Thanks. I like the idea of the past few sets having sequenced episodes. Hope it continues!

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Apparently it's all being discontinued.

Mason
Member Avatar

I got an email saying that the rights to ATWT/GL had expired. Is it just the rights to those two soaps or to the other P&G soaps (AW, SFT, EON, etc) as well? I was really looking forward to an AW release...

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I got the same email. Roger, can you shed some light on that?

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Casey
Nov 15 2012, 02:39 PM
I got the same email. Roger, can you shed some light on that?
Things are still fluid and could change but you have to take the SC email at face value. They are selling their current stock and there are no plans to continue at this point. I was expecting another DVD to be out by now but that probably won't see the light of day.

My best guess: The music issues have definitely been a huge drawback and help grind this thing to a halt. Everyone has to be paid too, and that's an expense you can't get around. To go from tapes in the warehouse to bringing them in house, encoding them, editing them (some more than others) and releasing them was a very involved process. If there was some magical way all these thousands of tapes could be digitized instantly the situation might be different. Not sure. The sales were good and the reaction from fans was overwhelmingly enthusiastic but it seems like the ROI at this point has diminished. I'll hopefully have a more detailed update by next week.

A lot of my favorite old soap episodes feature pop music so they would probably never get released anyway. The music is too expensive to license again (presumably there was a one-time usage paid when the episode aired) . Plus, the music is mixed with the dialogue and can't be edited (examples would include Roger in the Hall of Mirrors "Enough is Enough" of The Four Musketeers Prom featuring every smash pop song from 1983). The episodes from the 2000s are easier since the music is on a separate track (plus, soaps started using generic music versus Top 10 hits), but would still have been encoded and edited. It would take years to get all this stuff digitized but my fear is the tapes get messed up somehow just sitting around. There's been some issues with that already. Tapes of AW, SFT, EON, TEX and some of GL never left storage at all.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

It's definitely disappointing. Hopefully there's a solution down the line that works better. DVD's a dying format as it is and there's a lot of expense that goes into just manufacturing those. Plus it limits what can be released so it can be appropriately bundled. It was nice that they were starting to get into consecutive episodes and telling a single story with the releases, sadly just none that I was interested in. (Bob Kim Wedding, this GL trial)

We get old Coronation Street episodes on Netflix here in Canada, Dark Shadows in the US. Hopefully something like that materializes down the line from someone.

I threw in a last minute order for the Lily/Holden and James Stenbeck DVDs. The only other one I'd bought was the first ATWT release.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Yeah, I think streaming is the best bet going forward.

It was nice while it lasted. Hopefully something else pops up but I'm not going to hold my breath.

dragonflies
Member Avatar

I don't get why SC didn't have the consideration to give people more notice

aveRex
Member Avatar

Indeed, this was great while it lasted. I snapped up all of the discs for both shows except for the Christmas episodes as I'm not as interested in those. But the rest are great. As others are saying, too bad they can't around the music licensing problems with the 80s. Those were cool and helped with the story in many cases. Another case of corporate greed ruining a good thing. I hate to say, but I'm pretty much giving up on being a passionate advocate for soaps. They no longer appreciate the loyalty of the viewers, so screw it. Let it die. While I still watch 3 of the 4 shows on the air at the moment, it's no longer appointment tv with my dvr as in the past, but rather a couple of episodes every two to three weeks.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply