Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings - Dec. 19-23; DAYS Hits Lows For Third Straight Week
Topic Started: Jan 3 2012, 08:15 PM (2,484 Views)
OldDaysFankat

Liz<3Days
Jan 5 2012, 09:50 AM
OldDaysFankat
Jan 5 2012, 05:40 AM
Liz<3Days
Jan 5 2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:

The show also needs a format change. They are trying to be like primetime with the episodic format where each day features different characters but they speed through alot of beats in an episode with the characters because they want to have another set of characters featured the next day. They are trying too hard to be balanced and trying too hard to appeal to those who don't watch every day. As a result, they've disrupted the flow big time. Sometimes a story needs to be featured in 2, 3, or 4 straight episodes to build momentum. Things are way to choppy and fragmented.

I think this is the biggest detriment to the show. The show has to have stories getting payoffs at different times. We should be seeing whatever's considered the "B" storyline either wrap up or start in January. You usually have the "A" story get a payoff/wrap up during the sweep months. You just have to have something..I dont even know what story is which- its just a mess.

I dont subscribe to the notion that you can't do anything with supercouples. You can, it has to be done by playing the beats in between the payoff because you know that they'll eventually get together.

Its like M&D need a person that's good in organizing the story structure of the show. I thought Chris Whitesell was that guy that did that during 09. That's why you got payoffs with the A story. You even had a nice buildup to what I considered the B story of Parker's reveal. See that happened at Xmas (I believe) a non-sweeps month. It was a good month to plan something like that because people are home. When he left, you had Dena, and she tried but her stories were redundant and she only focused on a set of characters. I'm a bit surprised these writers arent capable to craft a story...ANY story after years of experience in the soap world.
I think part part of the issue is payoff but it is also what the payoff is. what exactly was so dramatic about the ending about the embezzlemement story or Alices mysteries. Also Brady Madison are now a rootable couple in love with no angst or push and pull, things pulling them apart, the things that normal couples get to make the audience root for them to be together. They are I guess a nice cheesy unoffensive couple but then fanbases cant seem tp tolerate the tiniest bit of angst anymore.

I also disagree with this notion couples have to stay together. It limits the potential for the characters to interact with new people allowing different facets of their personalities to shine and to explore the dynamics associated with new relationships. There was a reason IMO Bill Bell was the best writer and Y&R was the cream of the crop is he was more invested in characters and their story vs the couples aspect. Sure he had rootable couples but they were never chained together for life and he never allowed fanbases to dictate how he wrote and his show was better for it. Having a couple staple couples on a show is fine, having those staple couples be in the 20 or 30 or even in the 40 something group is ridiculous. John/Marlena, Kate/Stephano, Victor/Maggie, and Bo/Hope are enough. The rest should be constantly mixing up and that doesnt mean bed hopping. The baby switch involved Sami, Rafe, Nicole, and ej, It was decent a good dynamics among the 4. Rather that use the fallout to move the characters in new and interesting directions what happened. Another weaker round of the same 4.
Well, I don't consider the John story getting any payoff. It was a non story. It had a beginning and crashed through the middle and there was no ending. Are they going to come back and try to get EJ and/or Steffy? I doubt it because with Alice's secret, came the debt that was paid. How did people who hate the DiMeras get satisfaction that they would have been caught? Nothing on EJ's end changed. He just yelled to his dad for a episode. These are not stories, they're ideas...and bad ones, most of the time.

As for BB, he wrote DAYS before I ever watched so that's not the DAYS I grew up with or even associate with as being DAYS. I liked both the supercouples era and Reilly's crazy shit because you had and underlying sense that you would get a payoff after watching a story unfold for years. You would watch even though your favorite wasnt together, but the way the story was built, you had places where your favorite couple would sneak in a loving scene until the finally got together in the end. You were satisfied because the journey was equally compelling as the end. So while people like YR, I just never got into it.

DAYS can be good with or without supercouples, they just have to write a COMPLETE story....not pieces that dont go anywhere or make any sense.
I think you and I are saying the same thing. And I dont hate super couples what I dont like is this mentality with DOOL that they cant separate ever accept with death and a fake death at that. Victor and Nikki both had many love interests over the years, I adored Victor and Ashley, it brought out a softer side to him, I liked her with Jack way back. Ultimately they always come back but Bell was never afraid of breaking them up and pissing off fans. ANd both characters were better for it. I was a huge J&J fan way back but I am over them and it has nothing to do with this story I just have no interest in seeing them as a couple anymore. I'd love to see Jack be able to have a new story and love interest. I might feel differently in a year or 2 but right now no. ANd I dont think viewers would hate that at all despite their large fanbase.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

CalAggie87
Jan 4 2012, 04:30 PM
He did not successful run it in the 90s, he changed it into a joke. Fans watched JERk's stuff but there were a large number of people who stopped watching never to return, and many watched to see how silly it would be, there were people who liked his stuff, but that style of soap writing had many critics, but in the industry, and with other actors, they were laughing at the stories on the show. And then he had silly feuds with SOW, and GH, and that did not help make people respect DAYS.
Well I certainly enjoyed it (and I wasn't just referring to JER years, that includes everything from 1990 to 1993 as well)....and so did MILLIONS of viewers that started watching in the 90s while every other soap was bleeding viewers continually....who cares if the show was not respected by the other soaps during that time, DAYS gets the last laugh for outlasting almost ALL of them...and besides, I could care less what industry people thought of the show...it certainly doesn't affect my thoughts whatsoever or enjoyment (or lack thereof)

Also the whole "people who stopped watching never to return" could EASILY be applied to almost EVERY decade this show has had on the air...especially the last and current one.

At least the 90's had some action and actual storylines with REAL and BIG payoffs...what we are getting now doesn't even hold a CANDLE to some of the more preposterous/ridiculous stories of the 90's...at least then we had something to laugh at....now I just hang my head in shame, often thinking of better things I could be doing than watching paint dry on television.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Jan 5 2012, 02:14 PM.

SassyLady
Member Avatar

What is the "A" story right now? "B" story/stories??

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

SassyLady
Jan 5 2012, 03:03 PM
What is the "A" story right now? "B" story/stories??
I wish I could tell you...but sadly this show doesn't have any stories...just scenes and moments, often serving a boring purpose or detroying legacy characters and history.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply