Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: ABC exec addresses GH future
Topic Started: Jan 10 2012, 01:33 PM (1,282 Views)
Ellie

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/abc-exec-addresses-gh-future

ABC Exec Addresses GH Future

By SOD Posted: Jan 10, 2012

At the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, ABC entertainment president Paul Lee was non-committal when asked about the network's plans for GENERAL HOSPITAL, which may be canceled to make way for the Katie Couric talk show debuting this fall. "We'll have to make a decision at some point, but I don't know when," he remarked, adding, "We have not made a decision and we do not have a time frame for that." Lee described himself as "a fan of GENERAL HOSPITAL." On Twitter, Nancy Lee Gran (Alexis, GH) suggested, "Now might be the time to twitter about how much you like General Hospital and that you think Mr. Paul lee is very handsome. I know that I do."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

Why doesn't he just say we're going to mess with you GH fans for a little while longer before we cancel your show? We all know it's coming. Yeah, yeah, you're a big fan and all STFU and just admit it :blah:

As a longtime GH fan I wish it was going to stick around, but the writing is on the wall IMO.
Edited by Crazygirl, Jan 10 2012, 01:44 PM.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

They just want to see how "The Revolution" does in OLTL's time slot. If it does halfway decent at all... buh bye GH.

am103
Member Avatar

Well, looks like GH is next on the chopping block. I don't watch this one, but it's glaringly obvious that ABC doesn't give a damn about soaps anymore.

Graham
Member Avatar

The formal announcement will come in either March or April. The show is done.

Tammy
Member Avatar

:wave: Bye GH :shame:

dooldooldool

I haven't watched an ABC soap since the Billy Douglas Coming Out days of the early 90s, so I am a somewhat ambivalent observer. But it seems really strange how ABC is handling this. Either they have severe concerns that The View 3.0 (AKA Revolution) won't get ratings or there is some secret contractual reason for the sketchiness.

Maybe they are secretly (not so secretly?) hoping/expecting that Barbara Walters will end The View? Even if that's in the long term strategy, would ABC really be that hard up to find replacement programming for a fourth hour during the daytime (which they would need to do if they cancelled their last soap)?

I am not familiar with what type of contractual obligation the network has to GH. I know that NBC has a signed contract for DOOL until September 2013. It's just weird to me (and seemingly not very viewer-friendly) to continue to toss out vague comments. If any new fans were interested in starting to watch regularly, the uncertainty factor comes into play.

RoseVioletDaisy
Member Avatar

dooldooldool
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8688792&t=8631593
I haven't watched an ABC soap since the Billy Douglas Coming Out days of the early 90s, so I am a somewhat ambivalent observer. But it seems really strange how ABC is handling this. Either they have severe concerns that The View 3.0 (AKA Revolution) won't get ratings or there is some secret contractual reason for the sketchiness.

I think they have serious concerns about 'The Revolution' that they didn't have about 'The Chew' and don't have about Katie Couric's show. TR has already been completely re-tooled once due to horrible test screenings and by what we've seen so far, the new version doesn't seem very compelling. That said, TR doesn't have to set the world on fire. It's already slated for a "placeholder" time slot, so ABC will probably tolerate lesser ratings for them than they would of any of the other daytime shows. 'The View' is the lead-in and must be strong. 'The Chew' so far is holding it's own. 'The Revolution' simply needs to be a placeholder between 'The Chew' and Couric that doesn't drive too many viewers away.

dooldooldool
Maybe they are secretly (not so secretly?) hoping/expecting that Barbara Walters will end The View? Even if that's in the long term strategy, would ABC really be that hard up to find replacement programming for a fourth hour during the daytime (which they would need to do if they cancelled their last soap)?

The View ending would be a nightmare for ABC, especially if Walters wanted to end it before the Presidential election. It was during the last national election cycle that The View got it's highest-ever ratings. Without any soaps, 'The View' is the bedrock of ABC daytime, and Couric will function as the bookend to it. Even though Katie Couric's show is technically syndicated and will air on a few scattered NBC affiliates, the vast majority of channels airing it will be ABC.

dooldooldool
I am not familiar with what type of contractual obligation the network has to GH. I know that NBC has a signed contract for DOOL until September 2013. It's just weird to me (and seemingly not very viewer-friendly) to continue to toss out vague comments. If any new fans were interested in starting to watch regularly, the uncertainty factor comes into play.

I can't imagine it's a contractual issue since ABC owns GH outright, whereas NBC licenses Days from Sony/Corday and must honor their contracts with them. I think the lack of a publicly announced decision comes back to uncertainty about 'The Revolution'.
Edited by RoseVioletDaisy, Jan 10 2012, 11:56 PM.

rockchic
Member Avatar

If Courics new talk show is supposed to start airing in the fall, that doesn't give GH much time to wrap up the show in a decent way. OLTL did a good job IMO of wrapping up stories, but didn't they have a year lead time?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply