Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Smash: Season 1 Discussion
Topic Started: Jan 17 2012, 04:45 PM (3,328 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I thought it was decent...me and the GF watched it...the actors are GREAT and the writing is awesome...but it is a touch sleepy...not a lot to keep someone hooked in to be honest and the season preview sorta fell a bit flat.

I will definitely keep watching as there is nothing else to watch at 10PM anyways.

The good news is it was #1 in its hour against Hawaii 5-0 ( :puke: ) on CBS and Castle on ABC.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Feb 7 2012, 12:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tom

Mitchapalooza
Feb 7 2012, 12:50 PM
I thought it was decent...me and the GF watched it...the actors are GREAT and the writing is awesome...but it is a touch sleepy...not a lot to keep someone hooked in to be honest and the season preview sorta fell a bit flat.

I will definitely keep watching as there is nothing else to watch at 10PM anyways.

The good news is it was #1 in its hour against Hawaii 5-0 ( :puke: ) on CBS and Castle on ABC.
It's scripted and directed to play like a movie. I think if you watch it that way (like I did) it's much easier to not only enjoy, but to realize, that it's literally the most well written, acted and directed scripted series of 2012, and maybe even since the West Wing ended its run.

Mason
Member Avatar

fritosguy
Feb 7 2012, 11:17 PM
It's scripted and directed to play like a movie. I think if you watch it that way (like I did) it's much easier to not only enjoy, but to realize, that it's literally the most well written, acted and directed scripted series of 2012, and maybe even since the West Wing ended its run.
I liked it well enough, but it so isn't...

Tom

Mason
Feb 7 2012, 11:32 PM
fritosguy
Feb 7 2012, 11:17 PM
I liked it well enough, but it so isn't...
Oh, I agree. I think it's the best thing ever. (Because "West Wing" was too TV. I just haven't seen a TV show -- much less on network TV! -- that plays like a movie!)

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Loved the premiere. This show is reminding why I love Debra Messing so much. This is the perfect role for her. And the music, acting, writing, and production values are top notch.

King
Member Avatar

LOL. Wow. I can't disagree with fritos more. :)

And 2012 just started. So that comment doesn't even really make sense.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Feb 8 2012, 01:38 AM
Loved the premiere. This show is reminding why I love Debra Messing so much. This is the perfect role for her. And the music, acting, writing, and production values are top notch.

And it's got Megan Hilty.

Tom

The Room Stops
Feb 9 2012, 08:06 PM
Kevc1980

Never heard of her before this show. She looks familiar though. (Vaguely.) I think she's talented and I like her screen presence, but the Katherine McPhee character (forgot her name) needs to win the role. I'm not on board with Ivy. McPhee's character is more dignified and has a graceful body. Ivy comes off as bawdy.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I had no intention to watch this show but when I put on Bravo for my latenight Housewives fix they surprised me with an episode of "Smash" after "Watch What Happens Live."

I was pleasantly surprised because I really didn't like Katherine McPhee on her Idol season, I don't really care that much for Debra Messing, and I don't really care that much for Anjelica Huston.

But I do like Marilyn Monroe and I enjoyed the songs and the way they mixed things up with how things would look under the stagelights as you were watching rehearsals. I also like the guy who plays Tom and the guy who plays the jerky Brit director.

And randomly I really liked that they had Mrs. Weir from "Freaks and Geeks" as Karen's mother. Now that was a TV show that played like a movie.

Tom

IMissAremid
Feb 10 2012, 01:06 AM
I had no intention to watch this show but when I put on Bravo for my latenight Housewives fix they surprised me with an episode of "Smash" after "Watch What Happens Live."

I was pleasantly surprised because I really didn't like Katherine McPhee on her Idol season, I don't really care that much for Debra Messing, and I don't really care that much for Anjelica Huston.

But I do like Marilyn Monroe and I enjoyed the songs and the way they mixed things up with how things would look under the stagelights as you were watching rehearsals. I also like the guy who plays Tom and the guy who plays the jerky Brit director.

And randomly I really liked that they had Mrs. Weir from "Freaks and Geeks" as Karen's mother. Now that was a TV show that played like a movie.
Wait, THAT'S who the mother was? I kept trying to place her!!!!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

IMissAremid
Feb 10 2012, 01:06 AM
I don't really care that much for Anjelica Huston.

blasphemy :OhMy:

:wink:

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Tom
Feb 9 2012, 10:51 PM
The Room Stops
Feb 9 2012, 08:06 PM
Kevc1980

Never heard of her before this show. She looks familiar though. (Vaguely.) I think she's talented and I like her screen presence, but the Katherine McPhee character (forgot her name) needs to win the role. I'm not on board with Ivy. McPhee's character is more dignified and has a graceful body. Ivy comes off as bawdy.
She's a Broadway girl. She played Glinda in Wicked (LA version), and she was Doralee in the Broadway musical version of 9 to 5. She's done guest roles on Desperate Housewives and Melissa & Joey though.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Still loving it.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Megan did a fabulous job with the Carrie Underwood song on Mondays show.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I am thinking with the fact we find out so early that Ivy is Marilyn that they are going to end up making it more like split story with both Norma Jean and Marilyn. Sort of like that HBO movie done a couple of years ago with Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino. One played Norma Jean and the other Marilyn.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Sure this show has a premise, but it is very thin on plot. So why the hell am I really enjoying this? I feel like a fool for watching this, yet I can't stop. And why am I rooting for McPhee's character over Hilty? lol

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

cubsgirl
Feb 15 2012, 06:24 PM
I am thinking with the fact we find out so early that Ivy is Marilyn that they are going to end up making it more like split story with both Norma Jean and Marilyn. Sort of like that HBO movie done a couple of years ago with Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino. One played Norma Jean and the other Marilyn.
I've been saying the same thing. Karen is not a Marilyn, Ivy is. But she could be right as Norma Jean. She has the innocence and hope of Norma Jean. Ivy has the heart and heartbreaks of Marilyn.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

For now Ivy only got if cause she slept with the director.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I am sure when this show was put together we were suppose to cheer for Karen. But I actually find her the most boring character and storyline. I do find the other characters and stories worth watching.

Although Ellis is the slimest character I have seen. There is more to him than just his friends coaching him about getting paid for the idea. He was the one to video the original stuff that made it on the internet. Never bought his whole I sent it to my mom bit.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

May I just state for the record that I haven't hated a television character as much as I hate Tom's assistant ever. I hope Julia kills him :P

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply