Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Chew and The Revolution Discussion
Topic Started: Jan 19 2012, 10:56 PM (1,200 Views)
IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I've been avoiding these shows on principle in my disappointment with ABCD cancelling the soaps, but while in a waiting room several hours today I wound up catching these shows.

WOW THEY ARE AWFUL.

I mean the part of the GH episode I watched today was also awful, but by the standard of talk shows the thing was just terrible.

The Chew spent like 3 acts with some C-List cable network actor from some USA show where he just talked obnoxiously about "zesting" over and over while Mario Batali made some gross mussels-breading dish. Then they got out this Operation game that they put Mario's face on (I guess he plays a doctor on the USA show) and the segment was dumb as hell.

I think the panel had 5 people but I swear in the entire time I was watching only 3 of them actually talked. It was just weird.

Then "The Revolution" started with all the revolters walking on a treadmill and you had Tim Gunn coming out in a nice suit walking on the treadmill and acting like he was too feeble or inept to actually walk on one that was so ridiculous and fake.

Then you got into the show and it just seemed like a poorly executed rip-off of "the Doctors" without the hottie that is Travis leading the panel.

If they're done with soaps... fine... but can't ABC put on game shows or something at that hour? Because these shows STINK.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Lately every time The Chunk commercials air on soap-net all I see is actors visiting which means they have become a Talk/Cook Show to stay on air. Have their ratings went down since the holidays?

O'yeah and Ole boy who did the home improvement shows on HGTV look like he On some kinda drug.What's his name Ty?

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I have to say that during the holidays I did watch The Chew-- they had some good recipes and we were looking for some new recipes for the holidays and they came through. I don't mind this show-- will it be there in a year or two? I'm thinking not but it's OK. I really did try The Revolution, I mean I really did try it. Actually, my hubby and I tried watching it and I think after about 10 minutes of the show, we turned it off. We thought it was awful-- really awful. Ty taking off price tag stickers from casserolle dishes with baby oil- who didn't know that? (you could do it with any oil based liquid-- veggie oil works too--had to put that out there for Ty! LOL) The Tim Gunn segments were painful to watch. I'm talking P.A.I.N.F.U.L.! I don't get the theme of this show. The Chew-- it is what it is-- you cook, you learn some recipes and you're done but with this show, I just didn't "get" what it was trying to accomplish. I honestly don't see how this show will make it past the fall. I just don't.

After we watched the show for a few minutes, my thought was GH has some life left in it-- there's just no way ABC could take off GH for a train wreck like this.

Truthfully too, I don't see Katie Couric doing well either. In my opinion, I don't think she should have left The Today Show-- that was her speciality. The group morning news she does well, I don't see where she'll do well with her own talk show. I don't think she's a strong enough interviewer to accomplish this. She's not Ellen and she's not Anderson I think she pales in comparison to these two and I just don't see her doing well.
Edited by talbab1994, Jan 20 2012, 09:45 AM.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

The same hatred and vitriol would have been held for anything replacing AMC and OLTL, even another soap opera in the same timeslot.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I watched OLTL the last two weeks of the show-- that was it. I'll be honest, I LOVE cooking shows and even shows that are like The Revolution. In saying that, I still believe that The Revolution was one of the worst, if not THE worst self help show I've seen. I really thought it would have been better. Maybe the show will get better after a few weeks, I kind of feel that The Chew got better from its first show. I have to tell you that if this is as good as it gets with this show, it's in trouble.

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Quote:

Ty taking off price tag stickers from casserolle dishes with baby oil- who didn't know that? (you could do it with any oil based liquid-- veggie oil works too--had to put that out there for Ty! LOL)

No Tab just NO, OK! baby oil :lol: (Hell all Ty had do was use some of that Shiny shit he wears on his skin, check that fellow out he looks nothing like his days from when I watch him and some of those folk from both shows act like Teens on pharmaceuticals.

I like cooking & tooling type shows as well but the host & hostess of these two shows are distracting.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

lightandday
Jan 20 2012, 07:17 PM
Quote:

Ty taking off price tag stickers from casserolle dishes with baby oil- who didn't know that? (you could do it with any oil based liquid-- veggie oil works too--had to put that out there for Ty! LOL)

No Tab just NO, OK! baby oil :lol: (Hell all Ty had do was use some of that Shiny shit he wears on his skin, check that fellow out he looks nothing like his days from when I watch him and some of those folk from both shows act like Teens on pharmaceuticals.

I like cooking & tooling type shows as well but the host & hostess of these two shows are distracting.

Girl, you know I just LOVE you! :wave: I'll never look at Ty quite the same way again! LOL

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

bellcurve
Jan 20 2012, 03:35 PM
The same hatred and vitriol would have been held for anything replacing AMC and OLTL, even another soap opera in the same timeslot.
Are you saying I would hold the same hatred and vitriol? Because that's simply not true.

AMC was pretty much over for me when David Canary left and it was dead to me when Melissa Claire Egan was gone.

OLTL was pretty much over for me when Robin Strasser left.

So I was already at peace with these shows being done even if I wasn't happy about them going and replaced by these shows.

But they were even worse than I was expecting!

If ABC is bringing Katie Couric on to give us yet another talk show, then I hope these crap shows are headed to the chopping block, but if ABC is done with daytime soaps to make room for Katie, then I'd rather they give us a daytime game show block with a revamped Match Game and Password that the shitfest that is The Revolution.

darraholic
Member Avatar

So, I just watched The View's tribute to OLTL. I can't believe ABC was that tacky to promote THe Revolution and call it a new start as the cast members of OLTL were waving goodbye. Gah, I hope it tanks big time.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I still find it funny how they need to keep dragging Chew castmates back over to the View to desperately promote them. It just shows how stupid they were trying to make a show out of what should be a 8-10 minute segment.

LPS
Member Avatar

lightandday
Jan 19 2012, 11:58 PM
Lately every time The Chunk commercials air on soap-net all I see is actors visiting which means they have become a Talk/Cook Show to stay on air. Have their ratings went down since the holidays?

O'yeah and Ole boy who did the home improvement shows on HGTV look like he On some kinda drug.What's his name Ty?
OMG, I thought the same thing. Ty looks worn out as shit. He looks worse than a kid on jersey shore. It's the hair.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CarlD2

I think The Chew has some potential, if they stop treating viewers like feces-flinging monkeys, and if they get rid of at least two or three of the hosts.

The Revolution - it sounds like this show had big problems before it ever hit the air. The disastrous ratings for this just set up a path for having nothing in this timeslot at all. I wonder if ABC had this planned all along, so no one will care if they pull the plug on daytime.

lilacwine
Member Avatar

First of all - seen The Chew twice (but not at my own home - I wouldn't turn it on myself)
Although they have some okay content - too many hosts - too much condescending corniness.

Haven't seen The Revolution and won't but really - the cooking and makover improvement shows ar ea dime a dozen.
Why would someone turn to these when that market is FLOODED with proven ones?

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Was just checking the ratings for the Revolution and came across this mention that Revolution is down 35 percent on what OLTL was doing this time last year.

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2012/01/19/the-revolution-ratings-bleed-out-continues-down-a-whopping-35-percent-from-one-life-to-li

My faith in humanity is somewhat restored.

Alin89
Member Avatar

i will always blame Brian Frons for this shit. they should have fired his ass a long time ago.

lili
Member Avatar

CarlD2
Jan 22 2012, 05:59 AM
I think The Chew has some potential, if they stop treating viewers like feces-flinging monkeys, and if they get rid of at least two or three of the hosts.

The Revolution - it sounds like this show had big problems before it ever hit the air. The disastrous ratings for this just set up a path for having nothing in this timeslot at all. I wonder if ABC had this planned all along, so no one will care if they pull the plug on daytime.
The thing about the Revolution is I remember reading that TPTB at Disney/ABC daytime were SO EXCITED over Frons' vision of "the revolution" that they decided to cancel both AMC and OLTL. At first it was just going to be one soap cancelled (most likely AMC) and having the AWFUL Chew replace it but they got super high on the REVOLSION and decided to can OLTL along w/AMC.

The Chew is a hot mess I hate shows where they try and force feed me this idea that these people are all so "chummy". Mario Batali looks like he's in HELL and I can take Clinton Kelly on that TLC show but he's trying wayyyy too hard and don't even get me started on that chick w/the glasses from Top Chef. Just horrendous. And I refuse to even put the Revulsion on. I just have to sit back and smile seeing how FRONS" BABIES are sucking so bad.

Its just a shame OLTL had to be sacrificed. :shame:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply