Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings: January 9th - 13th
Topic Started: Jan 20 2012, 11:53 PM (1,819 Views)
magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jan 25 2012, 06:16 PM
badaddiction
Jan 25 2012, 04:53 PM
For me it doesn't matter who it is. Whether it's MarDar or DenaH, Days just doesn't hold my attention beyond a few minutes here or there. I've actually started watching Y&R and BB, again. The stories on these shows may not be Emmy worthy for either soap, but at least they feel like soaps and I feel as if I'm actually being told stories. But with Days, nothing is really grabbing or holding my attention. It feels like a badly written and cheaply produced attempt at being a soap.
That's pretty much how I feel. As badly written as Y&R is, at least they tell stories on that show. Things happen. There's a plot. On Days, nothing happens at all. Characters just shuffle around from set to set having the same conversations over and over. There's no drama. There's no suspense. There's no action or excitement. There are no stories. Darrell and Marlene have taken what was once a soap opera and they've turned it into a show about nothing. In their effort to make Days more realistic and relatable, they've made it mundane and boring. If I want to peek in on the lives of ordinary people doing realistic everyday things, I'll bench myself at Walmart for a few hours. For entertainment value, I look to soaps. Unfortunately, MarDar have "un-soaped the soap" to the point that it's completely unwatchable. There's nothing to tune in for. Even the "climaxes" (if and when they come) fall flat.

Meanwhile, can someone please explain to the writers that when fans say they want realistic stories, what they're really asking for is logic? I don't think MarDar realize that. They seem to think that what we want is this mundane "slice of life" crap and I think the ratings have proven that's not the case. Quite the opposite, in fact.
I think most people watch soaps for a get away from real life- something exciting and adventurous, filled with drama and romance. Unfortunately, this isn't what Days is giving the fans at all. I don't want to watch political debates or election crap- I can tune into CNN for that.
I think it's pretty obvious to most now that Mardar are not experienced enough to be Head Writers at the helm of a soap. KC has two choices- either keep them on and lose the show or fire them and get someone in there who can do the job right. If he chooses the latter, he had better do it soon or it's going to be too late.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

magicsteacher
Jan 25 2012, 10:30 PM
Kenny
badaddiction
For me it doesn't matter who it is. Whether it's MarDar or DenaH, Days just doesn't hold my attention beyond a few minutes here or there. I've actually started watching Y&R and BB, again. The stories on these shows may not be Emmy worthy for either soap, but at least they feel like soaps and I feel as if I'm actually being told stories. But with Days, nothing is really grabbing or holding my attention. It feels like a badly written and cheaply produced attempt at being a soap.
That's pretty much how I feel. As badly written as Y&R is, at least they tell stories on that show. Things happen. There's a plot. On Days, nothing happens at all. Characters just shuffle around from set to set having the same conversations over and over. There's no drama. There's no suspense. There's no action or excitement. There are no stories. Darrell and Marlene have taken what was once a soap opera and they've turned it into a show about nothing. In their effort to make Days more realistic and relatable, they've made it mundane and boring. If I want to peek in on the lives of ordinary people doing realistic everyday things, I'll bench myself at Walmart for a few hours. For entertainment value, I look to soaps. Unfortunately, MarDar have "un-soaped the soap" to the point that it's completely unwatchable. There's nothing to tune in for. Even the "climaxes" (if and when they come) fall flat.

Meanwhile, can someone please explain to the writers that when fans say they want realistic stories, what they're really asking for is logic? I don't think MarDar realize that. They seem to think that what we want is this mundane "slice of life" crap and I think the ratings have proven that's not the case. Quite the opposite, in fact.
I think most people watch soaps for a get away from real life- something exciting and adventurous, filled with drama and romance. Unfortunately, this isn't what Days is giving the fans at all. I don't want to watch political debates or election crap- I can tune into CNN for that.
I think it's pretty obvious to most now that Mardar are not experienced enough to be Head Writers at the helm of a soap. KC has two choices- either keep them on and lose the show or fire them and get someone in there who can do the job right. If he chooses the latter, he had better do it soon or it's going to be too late.
The sad thing is for those OLTL/AMC fans who were willing to give another soap a chance in hopes of finding a replacement for their defunct show , I would guess spending a week with Days probably sent them running and screaming to Y&R and/or BB. I honestly can't imagine someone going from OLTL to Days...

Tammy101
Member Avatar

Kenny
badaddiction

For real! This writing team has warn me down. I finally do NOT care if Days gets cancelled. They have made the show unwatchable for me. It is sad really. I can remember in 2007 staying up late and getting up early to see the show a day ahead. Could not get enough of it. Now I can't make myself watch.

happy
Member Avatar

Kenny
badaddiction

Problem is that the show isn't even realistic. How are the following realistic or "slice of life"?

1) Martial arts/spa where half naked men spar in the lobby?!
2) A son of known mafia family running for mayor?! And none of his or his family's criminal past/associations/rumors are brought to life?
3) Kidnapping of teenagers after their website is hacked for illegal gambling?!
4) Two new international cosmetic companies decide to open their headquarters in a small little town in the U.S.A. - and the CEOs fight over whether a small martial arts/spa will carry their products?!
5) A young boy is missing after a shoot out - the entire Salem PD fail to find the boy hiding under a table?!
6) Two high powered execs slather lotion over one another in the conference room, because a model is MIA?!
7) John's "story line" of stolen funds - too ridiculous to list all the inanities . . .
8) 40+ years old egg-baby?!

I could go on and on. These "stories" are laughable. Not realistic at all. So please don't blame reality for MarDar's deficiencies. LOL. MarDar aren't limited by reality. They are limited by their lack of imagination coupled with non-sensical flailings for contrived drama. Contrived drama that is boring as hell, because they are so unrealistic that the audience can't possibly buy into them or care about the supposed outcomes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply