Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dark Shadows Massive 'Complete Original Series' Set!
Topic Started: Jan 22 2012, 06:36 PM (448 Views)
Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

With a May 11th theatrical debut of the new Dark Shadows film (directed by Tim Burton and starring Eva Green, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jackie Earle Haley, Helena Bonham Carter, and Johnny Depp as "Barnabas"), it's probably no surprise that new DVD releases are being planned of the original Dan Curtis-created TV series which started it all. While MPI Home Video hasn't provided any official announcements yet, a trio of advance purchase listings added to Amazon.com gives readers a heads-up about what the studio's new plans are. All 3 titles are scheduled for April 10th, and it's clear that the first 2 single-disc titles are meant for casual fans. The big title, however, is certainly aimed for the most passionate Dark Shadows fans! Here's what's up for pre-order:

* Dark Shadows - The Best of Barnabas (180 minutes; $14.98 SRP)
* Dark Shadows - Fan Favorites (180 minutes; $14.98 SRP)
* Dark Shadows - The Complete Original Series (estimated 5000 minutes; $599.98 SRP)

That last listing is certainly the big shocker of the group! When Universal Studios Home Entertainment released their 20-season set of Law & Order - The Complete Series, we were all amazed at a 104-DVD set with over 450 hour-long episodes. However, MPI's various "volume" sets of Dark Shadows would clock in at roughly two dozen more discs than that, covering over 1200 half-hour episodes that were broadcast every weekday from 1966 to 1971. So, while we don't know what the official disc count for The Complete Original Series DVD set will be until MPI issues their official announcement, it certainly looks like this will be the new record-holder!

Amazon's discounting this enormous set to $419.99 as of this writing (subject to change without notice, at Amazon's discretion), which happens to be less than the big Law & Order collection. A quick calculation shows that to be less than 35 cents per episode (plus we're not sure yet, but there's obviously a great chance it will include all the extras that the previous DVD sets have had in the past). It's a big amount of bucks at once, but even so you've got to see that this is a LOT of bang for your buck! We can't wait to bring you all the detailed info about this package, and the package art as well. Stay tuned, of course, and we'll bring that to you just as soon as we can!

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series/16432#ixzz1kEWXbTEx
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Holy shit, I am going to need that complete collection set. This is fantastic news. TFP Casey.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I'd settle for them just dropping the ridiculous $60 price tag on the original sets. Considering most catalogue TV shows are selling around $19.99 a season now or lower, it's absurd!
Edited by Drew, Jan 22 2012, 07:14 PM.

Marlene

Wow!

Mateo
Member Avatar
Punk Cabaret is Freedom

Drew
Jan 22 2012, 07:13 PM
I'd settle for them just dropping the ridiculous $60 price tag on the original sets. Considering most catalogue TV shows are selling around $19.99 a season now or lower, it's absurd!
Same here. I've bought a few at that price, but usually around December they drop the price by half for about a month or so and I stock up. Didn't get to this year, but I have in the past.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I've got a few owned, and alot of them I've rented and ripped.

Has anyone else been reading the new comic continuation of the series?

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Drew
Jan 24 2012, 03:07 AM
I've got a few owned, and alot of them I've rented and ripped.

Has anyone else been reading the new comic continuation of the series?
*raises hand*

jam6242
Member Avatar

This sounds great! I managed to collect all of the episodes (excluding the pre-Barnabas ones) by getting used copies on Amazon but I did it gradually. If I had access to an entire set all at once I would have had to hibernate for a few months to watch them! I saw this show the first time when I was a child during its original run. I was pleasantly surprised that I still enjoyed it as an adult. The price is very reasonable. I would happily pay this much for 5 years worth of the classic years of my other favorite soaps.

jam6242
Member Avatar

The box for the upcoming dvd set is shaped like a coffin! :laugh:

http://famousmonstersoffilmland.com/2012/03/09/dark-shadows-boxed-set/

somersetfan
Member Avatar

Still debating whether I should shell out the $600+ to buy it. Dark Shadows was the first real soap I got into as a kid and I have such fond memories of Barnabas, Angelique........ and Julia :hail:

Really, I am waiting with bated breath for the re-release of House of Dark Shadows. That movie was my kryptonite as a kid.

BetseyD

Just putting this out here:

The last time I was on NetFlix, about a week or so ago, I happened to notice that they are now offering "Dark Shadows" via Instant Streaming. I quickly added it to my instant queue - however, I failed to notice just how many seasons/shows it covered. That being said, I need to point out that NetFlix will usually offer all seasons/shows in a given series, once it is up for instant streaming.

Anyway, I thought that I would let you all know about this, just in case any of you might happen to find it to be useful information.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply