Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ATWT: Where Are They Now; Kelley Menighan Hensley
Topic Started: Jan 23 2012, 02:25 AM (1,738 Views)
Actor87
Member Avatar
The Royal Dork

From CBS Soaps In Depth

SOLD ON SOAPS

The world is still turning for Kelley Menighan Hensley (Emily)

If you find it hard to believe that more than a year has passed since the conclusion of AS THE WORLD TURNS, you're not alone. Kelley Menighan Hensley, who played complicated mantrap Emily, is still moruning the loss of borther her alter ego and the soap that introduced her to her real-life husband, Jon Hensley (Holden). "I think we both valued the show on such a different level than [others] did," she says of their longevity with the program. "It was like a coming of age [experience]; I grew up, met my husband, had my family, grew to become an actress... It was was everything [to me] for more than 20 years!"

Lots of friends and castmates came and went over time, but Hensley marvels that both she and Emily kept making the cut. Perhaps it was because fans still rooted for the character, who'd endured an emotionally difficult childhood to overcome her past. Alas, the path to get there wasn't easy. "I loved when Emily was emotionally ripped apart and pulled down to nothing, because I think all of go through times in our lives when we feel like we are worthless and helpless," the actress suggests.

In the end, the beleaguered found love with Paul, and Hensley found the ultimate acting partner in his portrayer, Roger Howarth. "He's got a heart and a soul that you have to look deep in to see and understand, and I did with him," she confides. "He trusted me."

Now settled with her family just outside of Los Angeles (and near former castmate Marie Wilson, Meg), the actress is auditioning regularly and itching to get back to work --- especially if it involves another soap opera. Where might she end up next? "I'm a fan of all of them, [but] I love GENERAL HOSPITAL. I think it's fantastic!" she grins. "The story is always compelling, and the actors are great." Recently, Hensley came close to being cast for a pivotal role; alas, it wasn't in the cards. While awaiting another opportunity, she's busy formulating programming ideas of her own.

"I think it's imperative that we continue to create other formats for the daytime world, whatever that may be," she suggests. "I'm collaborating with friends, knocking around ideas and reading lots of books to [possibly] option... But I always go back to my roots, and that's daytime [soaps]."

While excited about what Hollywood might hold for her, Emily's portrayer remains grateful for her experience in Oakdale. "ATWT was definitely something more than a job," Hensley says, "and it was certainly more than just a soap opera to us".

-Kellie M. Larson

-----------

Photo blurb of Emily & Paul: "In think Paul wound up being perfect for her," Hensley says of Emily's love. "They were like two peas in a pod at the very end."

Photo blurb of Hensley with her 2 kids: "I had this incredible double life," Hensley remembers. "[Being on ATWT] gave me the time and freedom to have a family and career."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Actor87
Member Avatar
The Royal Dork

I've been curious as to what she & husband Jon had been up to. I knew they were re-locating, and expected one (or both) to show up on TV soon after. Good to know she's still auditioning.

I wonder what "pivotal role" she almost landed, and if it was primetime or daytime...

BakersDozen

Stay away from Y&R. Look how they fucked Maura West. Disgusting.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply