Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Game Of Thrones: Season 2
Topic Started: Jan 30 2012, 12:43 AM (4,132 Views)
Checkers
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Jun 14 2012, 05:04 PM
I agree about the Robb romance, it was rather cliched and in the process Cat was screwed over. He also was harder to like in the show.
Screwed Cat over big time. I didn't think there was much chemistry between Robb/Jeyne and that didn't help the story either.

Spoiler: click to toggle

This gif just sums up how I felt about that story.

Posted Image

Edited by Checkers, Jun 14 2012, 05:58 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

What I also didn't like was the whole "evil foreign female" angle they introduced into it. I don't really think the writers are interested enough in deconstructing all the tropes like Martin did in the source material.

Robb would just go
Posted Image

ETA re. spoilered: yes, I don't get it at all.
Edited by DesignatedShelley, Jun 14 2012, 06:17 PM.

Checkers
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Jun 14 2012, 06:04 PM
What I really didn't like was the whole "evil foreign female" angle they introduced into it. I don't really think the writers are interested enough in deconstructing all the tropes like Martin did in the source material. Aging up the characters screwed over Cat the most, even though it didn't have to if the writers were more aware.

Robb would just go
That gif. :laugh:

I feel for Cat because she all wants to do is protect her children but she can't. She can't go back home to Bran and Rickon. Arya (she thinks Arya is there) and Sansa are in King's Landing. So she basically has to sit around and hope Robb can win the war.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

Yeah, and there's a lot of interesting gender issues that get explored by Cat (all the female characters actually) but they're really fiddling with the story too much and it's not letting that stuff come through. IDK if this should go under a spoiler cut but just to be on the safe side I'll put it there.

Checkers
Member Avatar

Latest news:

Quote:

As "Game of Thrones" enjoys the success of a record-breaking season, author George R.R. Martin is hoping to maintain his head start on the series starting with his next "A Song of Ice and Fire" novel, "The Winds of Winter."

HBO renewed the hit fantasy series earlier this year for a third season based on his novel "A Storm of Swords." Filming will start this summer and will include a return to Belfast, Northern Ireland; Croatia, representing parts of King’s Landing; and Iceland.

Series executive producers David Benioff ("Troy," "The Kite Runner") and D.B. Weiss signed contracts to return for two more seasons; although, the network has yet to announce a Season 4 pickup.

However, with additional season pickups likely considering the show's success, Martin is attempting to buckle down and finish his novels before HBO catches up.

"I'm working on that, and a number of 'Ice and Fire' related things at the same time," Martin recently said in an interview with HBO. "Not only 'The Winds of Winter,' which is Book 6, but we're also coming out with a big concordance called 'The World of Ice and Fire,' which is about the whole history of Westeros and will be lavishly illustrated. … We've also been doing a map book, and I'm working on a new novella about Dunk and Egg, the prequel series I have."

Martin admits his writing style is a slow process, especially with the size and complexity of his books.

"I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me," he said. "The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable head start, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time ... we'll see.

"Sometimes I make the decisions wrongly. My process as a writer is not one of thoroughly outlining ahead of time, which can result in my muse leading me down blind alleys and dead ends. … So then I have to double back and rewrite and so forth. It's almost a subconscious thing -- when it's right, it feels right, and when it doesn't feel right, I keep niggling at it until it does."

Regardless, the series continued to enchant its television audience this year. "Valar Morghulis," the Season 2 finale, pulled in 5.1 million viewers June 3 when including the encore, and for the first time the series attracted over four million viewers, 4.2 million in all, during its initial airing.

Season 2 maintained stable ratings since its debut April 1. Initial episode airings have averaged 3.7 million viewers, with 10.4 million watching when factoring in all platforms and encores. This achievement places the series as the third most popular program in HBO's history.

"Game of Thrones" chronicles a treacherous clash among royal families to secure ultimate power of Westeros, a vast kingdom facing peril at every corner.

source

Checkers
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Jun 14 2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah, and there's a lot of interesting gender issues that get explored by Cat (all the female characters actually) but they're really fiddling with the story too much and it's not letting that stuff come through. IDK if this should go under a spoiler cut but just to be on the safe side I'll put it there.

I agree with everything you said. There was so much they could have touched upon with the Cat/Robb storyline but they didn't. So Cat just comes off as an annoying nuisance that causes trouble.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I'm not enjoying the books that much, but I only just started the first one really.

Checkers
Member Avatar

I felt the first book dragged. There are some POVs, I just don't care about. Since season 1 pretty much went by the first book...I prefer watching it on my screen.

Though with season 2 they definitely went away from the books. Adding things and dropped things. There are definitely characters I prefer on the TV version than the book version. They made some characters more likeable in the TV version.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

The first book drags at the start, it's a lot of set-up and info dumping. Half way through the book things pick up though. The second book is more scheming and less action, still good IMO, but the third book is a roller coaster and people usually love that one. The books do get wordy and the characters who rub you the wrong way will annoy you more because it takes longer to get through their scenes reading than it does watching on TV. But they books are also richer and more thought provoking than the show.

If you want to stay fresh for the TV show do not read the third book. There are tremendous shockers in that one.
Edited by DesignatedShelley, Jun 16 2012, 02:01 PM.

Checkers
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Jun 16 2012, 01:58 PM
But they books are also richer and more thought provoking than the show.

I definitely agree with this.

Riley Grey
Member Avatar

I haven't read the books, but I've seen the first two seasons of GoT. Overall, I was not all that happy with Season 2. I felt there was very little significant character development (Tyrion Lannister being one of the major exceptions), and I am a bit offput by some of the magical elements being introduced into the story. For some reason, the magical elements do not seem to me to be necessary or believable in the construct of this show. The dragons are mostly an okay addition, but the red headed witch lady giving birth to a mystical dark entity was a bit unbelievable and then there is this undead army marching from the North.

Normally, I don't have a problem marrying mythical and magical, but for some reason I just can't reconcile the two on this show yet.

Then there is the whole Daenerys Targaryen story arc that seems unnecessary and boring.

Too many characters this season on some long trip. Daenerys Targaryen and her friends are walking around the dessert. John Snow and his Night Watch friends are walking around in the snow.

Ayra Stark had some interesting times, but she too is off on her own. They need to reunite her with someone in her family.

Bran Stark is now off on his journey to meet up with family.

I guess I feel like very little was accomplished this season. There was one battle, but it came too late in the season to really enjoy the aftermath.

Checkers
Member Avatar

This season was setting up the next. Things are really going to :shithitfan: next season.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

DesignatedShelley
Jun 16 2012, 01:58 PM
The first book drags at the start, it's a lot of set-up and info dumping. Half way through the book things pick up though. The second book is more scheming and less action, still good IMO, but the third book is a roller coaster and people usually love that one. The books do get wordy and the characters who rub you the wrong way will annoy you more because it takes longer to get through their scenes reading than it does watching on TV. But they books are also richer and more thought provoking than the show.

If you want to stay fresh for the TV show do not read the third book. There are tremendous shockers in that one.
Hopefully they stay true to the book. If so, next season will be edge of your seat drama all season.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply