Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Emmy Pre-Nomination Submission List For 2012; Lead Actor / Actress, Supporting Actor / Actress. Younger Actor & Actress Post #28
Topic Started: Feb 3 2012, 09:29 PM (9,071 Views)
DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I know Suzanne Rogers has fallen off greatly since the writing change, even a little before, BUT she was at the top of her game at some points. With a prior Emmy win she does have a slight advantage, even if her age works against her. I'm disappointed in her not submitting. She had more than one episode that could easily get her pre-nominated, and more than likely nominated. She probably feels robbed from last year where she was easily better than a couple of the final nominees. I don't think there's any excuse for not submitting unless you're totally against the Emmys process or you think your work is terrible.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Feb 14 2012, 08:58 AM
Do y'all really think performance quality is relevant to any part of this process? I don't.
Not in the way it should, no. However, if you have the traditional "emmy bait" and your someone who knows how to play "the game" then your good to go.

Having said that, Chappell has a good shot at winning if that is her reel. She's won before and that is classic emmy bait. Yes, it's over the top but you have to be over the top there. She's going through withdrawal. I liked it. Soaps don't usually go that far in showing it and I'm glad they went there. She did a good job with that and the surveillance camera look gives it a unique feel. She could've gone with the stuff with Jennifer but this is the kind of material that usually gets rewarded. The more scenery you chew, the more likely it is you win.

That also means good things for Scott too if that is his submission. He kind of appeals to everyone with that reel. If you want scenery chewing, you get it. If you want subdued, you get it. It's a nice mix. He stands a hell of a shot and he's been nominated before too and usually for performances like this. He's a lock IMO.

Sweeney was smart not to go with the same reel as Scott. I thought she might but I'm glad she didn't. The reel she went with is really strong. She's in control but has enough hysteria there to please the voters who enjoy "big" acting.

Ashford and Hennig picked the perfect reels. Hennig I think will be definitely in. Ashford stands a shot. It all depends on if the voters feel his performance had the right sort of intensity to it, meaning it may not be enough scenery chewing for the voters. He should be nominated but we all know that work like Matt did here regularly goes unrewarded. I would just like a nod for him since it's unlikely he would win anyway with Jonathan Jackson seeming like a lock to win.

rockchic
Member Avatar

I really enjoyed those Nathan-Stephanie scenes. Great acting all around. Such a shame that both are no longer on the show.

philip&stephanie

rockchic
Feb 14 2012, 07:10 PM
I really enjoyed those Nathan-Stephanie scenes. Great acting all around. Such a shame that both are no longer on the show.
I agree Stephanie Johnson should have been Days next great heroin, the daughter of one of their most iconic super couples Patch and Kayla. But I guess it all work out in the end Shelley Hennig has moved on to bigger better things and hopefully it is just the begining.

Paul8148

DiMeraFan67
Feb 14 2012, 02:18 PM
I'm not liking Chappell or Sweeney's reels. They can only submit a max of 2 minutes from their episodes for the pre-nom round so it might cause one of them to sneak in. I'm assuming Chappell is going with the flailing on the ground slapping herself. To me that is horrible, I don't think she can get in. Sweeney's stupid faces and overacting ruin hers, but there is a chance she can get in if she submits 2 minutes where she starts blaming Rafe and just starts yelling. If she just submits the yelling and whining then I don't think she has a chance at getting a nom. Lead actress is VERY strong this year so I don't think either make the cut. Sweeney has a better chance than Chappell, IMO.

I LOVE Matt Ashford's reel and he is so subtle. Its a great reel, but I don't think he will get a nom either. They might put it through to contrast with the big reels of Jonathan Jackson, Billy Miller. They always throw one like that in there every year, but it never wins. I would be overjoyed just to see him get a nomination.

Shelley Hennig's reel is what every reel should be. Its calm and great acting, then its a powerhouse performance. She has a good chance, IMO because she's now on a successful primetime show and that scene is great. Mark Hapka does a great job here too and it always helps to be playing off someone that is upping their game. That's why Tony Geary, Susan Flannery, and Laura Wright are in like everyone else's reels every year. Its almost hard to believe how great this scene is. I'm sure she's submitting the last two minutes and I HOPE that they put her through based on that. Once she can submit the full reel, if put through, that is a great day from beginning to end.

I think James Scott and Shelley Hennig are the favorites from DAYS based on those reels.

Sweeny summited the screens at the start with rafe....Also I think Nelson blindless to Chappel is making him judge it to high....I got a feeling it going to come down
to Erika vs. Heather Toms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuxeM8x-dRo
Katie figures out Bill is going to choose Steffy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM6gyQp9qNE&feature=related
complete episode with Katie telling Taylor off before Katie and Bill screens...
Edited by Paul8148, Feb 14 2012, 09:00 PM.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I would love to see Erika Slezak take the big prize on the last year that she will ever be eligible for Viki, but I have heard that Susan Lucci has the best reel she has ever put together. I wouldn't mind either of them taking it. I hope its down to those two.

I don't watch B&B, but I saw Heather Tom's reel. Its really good, but I think she should have been in supporting. I don't know if that will hurt her or not. Florencia Lozano has been the most consistently amazing actress in the category and its not even close. Her reel is very good, but I don't know. I wish it was judged on a bigger body of work rather than 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, then whatever. She deserves the award.

SabrinaD18
Member Avatar

badaddiction
Feb 13 2012, 08:19 AM
As much as I believe JS is talented, I think the 11/18 episode had some major hits AND misses. I felt nothing when he was alone in the room walking around with his arms out and "crying", because I could see him acting. I felt a disconnection between him as an actor and his character's pain, but I've been wrong before. To this day I'm baffled as to why Tom Hanks won an Oscar for Philadelphia. The one scene that ALWAYS sticks out for me is the pivotal scene in which he's telling Denzel Washington's character the story of an opera recording he was listening to. Throughout that entire scene, I felt TH didn't know diddly-squat about Opera and couldn't really deliver the true emotional depth which that scene required because of that lack of understanding. So, I guess we'll see.
I agree with you here. I LOVE James' acting 95% of the time but there is that 5 % where he goes over the top. I thought the 11/18 scenes were hit or miss too for James. I thought AS was very good though. I didn't like the silent scenes either, it was too obvious. I much preferred his scenes when Sami entered and he started accusing her of being a bad mother. But as Phoenixrising points out, the scene chewing does seem to appeal to some.

Did they change the pre nom voting this year? Is everyone allowed to vote for the pre noms or is it still limited to the cast of each show picking their pre noms?

BTW, I thought Ali and James did a beautiful job in the apres sex scenes portraying their shame. I thought the scenes were very effective. Too often on Soaps we're told the characters are regretful etc (specially when it's revealed to their significant other) but this was very clearly portrayed.

I think Ari has lots of material to submit for supporting. The confrontation scenes with EJ in May. Her mother's death. The after blackout sex scenes when she's so vulnerable and tells EJ she's too afraid to take a chance on them.
Edited by SabrinaD18, Feb 15 2012, 05:26 PM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

SabrinaD18
Feb 15 2012, 05:25 PM
badaddiction
As much as I believe JS is talented, I think the 11/18 episode had some major hits AND misses. I felt nothing when he was alone in the room walking around with his arms out and "crying", because I could see him acting. I felt a disconnection between him as an actor and his character's pain, but I've been wrong before. To this day I'm baffled as to why Tom Hanks won an Oscar for Philadelphia. The one scene that ALWAYS sticks out for me is the pivotal scene in which he's telling Denzel Washington's character the story of an opera recording he was listening to. Throughout that entire scene, I felt TH didn't know diddly-squat about Opera and couldn't really deliver the true emotional depth which that scene required because of that lack of understanding. So, I guess we'll see.
I agree with you here. I LOVE James' acting 95% of the time but there is that 5 % where he goes over the top. I thought the 11/18 scenes were hit or miss too for James. I thought AS was very good though. I didn't like the silent scenes either, it was too obvious. I much preferred his scenes when Sami entered and he started accusing her of being a bad mother. But as Phoenixrising points out, the scene chewing does seem to appeal to some.

Did they change the pre nom voting this year? Is everyone allowed to vote for the pre noms or is it still limited to the cast of each show picking their pre noms?

BTW, I thought Ali and James did a beautiful job in the apres sex scenes portraying their shame. I thought the scenes were very effective. Too often on Soaps we're told the characters are regretful etc (specially when it's revealed to their significant other) but this was very clearly portrayed.

I think Ari has lots of material to submit for supporting. The confrontation scenes with EJ in May. Her mother's death. The after blackout sex scenes when she's so vulnerable and tells EJ she's too afraid to take a chance on them.
Yes the prenom system changed. Now anyone is allowed to submit themselves in any category, there is no in-house voting anymore.

If you submit yourself then you have to put together a 2-min reel of your best work and submit it, then everything is uploaded online for all the voters to watch and rate, the highest vote getters from this round will become the final nominees.

This is why GH has like 35 people in each category.

SabrinaD18
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Feb 15 2012, 05:33 PM
SabrinaD18
Feb 15 2012, 05:25 PM
badaddiction

Yes the prenom system changed. Now anyone is allowed to submit themselves in any category, there is no in-house voting anymore.

If you submit yourself then you have to put together a 2-min reel of your best work and submit it, then everything is uploaded online for all the voters to watch and rate, the highest vote getters from this round will become the final nominees.

This is why GH has like 35 people in each category.
Thank you for the info. So technically its possible a show may not get a nominee in a category since there is no in-house voting. Interesting.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

That's a real possibility. The first round narrows it down to a final 10 for each category getting pre-nominations. In Supporting Actress I believe GH has a serious chance at having 5 out of the 10 pre-noms. When it comes down to actual nominations I still think they could have 3-4.

Its much better this way. Every show doesn't always deserve a nominee.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Yes, it is now possible for a show to have no pre-nominees in a category....and there is a potential for one show to have WAY more than the traditional two that they used to get.

Bloc voting is going to play a HUGE HUGE role again....not that it didn't before with the older system, but now it will be much more evident since anyone can submit.

lilkatie24

Do they still get to vote for people on other shows? If so we know that Heather Toms, Crystal Chappell, and whoever else is nominated that has been on more than one soap WILL get a nomination. They have other people voting for them from other shows.

and yea Crystal is smart, she won her supporting emmy from when her character tried to commit suicide and Josh saved her (I believe that's what she submitted) she chews scenery with the best of them.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

lilkatie24
Feb 16 2012, 01:18 PM
Do they still get to vote for people on other shows? If so we know that Heather Toms, Crystal Chappell, and whoever else is nominated that has been on more than one soap WILL get a nomination. They have other people voting for them from other shows.

and yea Crystal is smart, she won her supporting emmy from when her character tried to commit suicide and Josh saved her (I believe that's what she submitted) she chews scenery with the best of them.
Yes - well sorta. Everyone gets to submit, everyone gets to vote...there are no limitations.

The only thing that has been eliminated with the pre-noms this year is there is no in-house voting for the traditional two prenom slots per category. Now everyone gets to submit for prenoms in whatever category they want, there is no voting in house anymore.

Instead, all of the academy memebers now vote from the list of pre-noms who will be the Top 5 based on the 2-min reels each pre-nom submitted.

lilkatie24

Thank you!

Well I guess this at least means that we won't see the same ole same ole...maybe.

Paul8148

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-0cpj3gQVo

Jerry ver Doran reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2sXjf1e9kc
Maurice's reel

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

As botched as Vanessa Marcil's return was that was a great wedding. I don't think that's a winning reel, but I hope he gets nominated.

SabrinaD18
Member Avatar

OK bear with me, I'm horrible in math. (I blame a crazy grammar school math teacher who used corporal punishment :scared: )

But 10 pre nominees get picked from the pre nom, right? Then the academy votes again to narrow it down to another 5 or do the five get automatically selected from the highest scorers in the pre nom (so in that case, why bother selecting 10 at first?).

Once we finally get to the 5 nominees, who votes the winners? The entire Academy or the oft mentioned judges? It's just so different from the regular Emmys......

OliveAnn

SabrinaD18
Feb 18 2012, 01:47 AM
OK bear with me, I'm horrible in math. (I blame a crazy grammar school math teacher who used corporal punishment :scared: )

But 10 pre nominees get picked from the pre nom, right? Then the academy votes again to narrow it down to another 5 or do the five get automatically selected from the highest scorers in the pre nom (so in that case, why bother selecting 10 at first?).

Once we finally get to the 5 nominees, who votes the winners? The entire Academy or the oft mentioned judges? It's just so different from the regular Emmys......
Here's a good summary of the new voting process:

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/confirmed-daytime-emmy-award-nomination-rule-changes/2011/12/20/

I don't think the math is the same for Younger Acting categories. There are already around 10 people submitted, so leaving only a couple of people out wouldn't make much sense. But, maybe someone here knows better how voting in those categories will go down.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply