Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty interview with Ian Buchanan!
Topic Started: Feb 7 2012, 04:27 PM (2,697 Views)
Ellie

When we heard you were coming to Days, the way we heard almost seemed like a soap opera in itself! You were spotted at dinner and lunch and we kept hearing rumors. How did your hiring come about?

Marlene and Darrell and James Scott and some others came to see me in a play I was doing in LA in the summertime. And afterwards, they said they’d really like to speak to me, and would I care to meet for lunch and talk about a role which was based on the role I was playing on stage. I went for lunch and then I went to a very nice dinner at a very nice restaurant where a lot of people probably saw us, and I think that’s when all the chatter started. And that’s how it all came together, but I’ve been there since November. You’re only seeing me now, on Thursday.

Speaking of Thursday, can you describe to me your first scene? Where do we first see your character?

I think you first see me in Madison’s bedroom, sitting in the dark, where she’s about to return with Brady.

Are you Madison’s husband?

Well, that will be revealed. We were romantically involved in the past, when she was very young. I discovered her when she was very ambitious, and I recognized her potential and helped her to create who she was. Therefore, in my slightly warped mind, it’s as if I own her. She may feel as though she’s outgrown that, but it may not be her choice. She may not have any say in that. We’ll see…

We’ve also heard that Ian and Kate are going to be interacting. Can you describe that to me?

Yes, she’s a past love, a great love, and he’s rekindling that romance. There are a lot of situations that are going to become problematic for everybody. But he deeply loves Kate and had to push her away many years ago when he was about to reveal her past. She was blackmailing him, so he had to push her away without explanation.

Are we going to see you in a romantic relationship with Kate?

Either Kate or Madison – I don’t think it’s been decided. I think I cause trouble for Madison and cause trouble for Kate and have a nice time with Kate... perhaps.

We’ve also heard you have a connection to John and Marlena.

I don’t know anything about that – I have no idea! I have not heard that. Well, the more connections and involvement, the longer I could stick around!

Do you know how long you’re scheduled to be on Days for?

Not really… at least a year I hope.

What makes Days unique as compared to other soaps you’ve worked on?

The whole soap world has changed, we’re taping highly efficiently, very fast, a well-oiled machine. I like that: I like working quickly and really don’t like sitting around. I remember times when you’d spend an hour on one scene, but those days are gone, and I’m not sorry for that. I hated that. If you’re prepared for surprises, and things to happen [with the new way of taping], it makes it very exciting! So I enjoy that – I think it makes for much more interesting watching too.

You’ve played the same type of character on the shows you’ve been on. Do you think that this type of work finds you, or do you seek out this type of character?

This type of character finds me. I think it must be that deep within my psyche, this kind of personality is not really expressed in my own life. Sometimes I wish I could get on the phone and start conducting business like that! But I don’t. [Laughs]

Are you on Twitter or Facebook?

No, I’m not. I don’t really care to tell anyone where I am at any particular time! I have a personal Facebook page but may have to start a new one [for fans].

Do you have a message for Days viewers?

I hope they come and watch and embrace my character. I’m loving playing him and I hope they welcome him to the canvas. I look forward to the feedback! They don’t have to like me – if they hate me it’s fine, I don’t care. [Laughs]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

LOL - He is such a snarky bitch...love him already!

Good interview...once again by far the best of the bunch out there ;)

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

Thank Ellie for the interview. That was GREAT!!! You are AWESOME!!!!

This interview has me all excited now. Can't wait until Ian comes to mix things up will not be long now. I can't wait to see his first scene with Kate. I want to see what type of chemistry these two will have.

It is intriguing to me now I know that Stefano will definitely have some competition when it comes to Kate it seems to me like Ian really cares deeply for her and he has come back to Salem in part to rekindle that flame that he had with Kate years ago, he said that Kate was a great love of his and he deeply loves her. Maybe he has not gotten over that love for her because their relationship ended so abruptly.

I wonder what Kate was using to blackmail Ian with, this story sounds like it is going to be good so good.

It seems to me that it was not really his choice to leave Kate he did not really want to because he was in love with her. Something happened in the past and he had to part ways from Kate against his will. But he has still carried these feelings around for her all of these years. It seems like when they see each other again sparks will definitely fly. I wonder if Kate will share these feelings for Ian that he has for her seeing as how she is married and loves Stefano. Maybe Kate never understood why Ian had to leave her and she might possibly still have some buried feelings for him that will come up later. Maybe he will explain it to her that he never wanted to leave but something drove him away from her and Kate will have to choose either to stay with the husband that she has grown to love or either be with Ian and see where things could have went with them. Don't get me wrong I love me some State but this adds intrigue to the relationship. I am looking forward to seeing how Lauren and Ian work together because Lauren and Joe are great. Can't wait to see that Kate/Ian scenes.

I guess their connection has been revealed and we now know that Ian will be the ex that wants Kate to come back to him.

I am more interested in the Kate/Ian connection that I am the Ian/Madison connection.

As for John/Marlena connection I still have no clue.

Can't wait to see how all this unfolds I am super excited.
Edited by Virgo Twins, Feb 7 2012, 05:04 PM.

AFaithL

Welcome, Ian! Let the games begin!

gailwinters
Member Avatar

His answer to the question about John and Marlena is a little puzzling, since he mentioned them in the other interview. Maybe he has scenes with them, but no prior history.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks for the great interview DR! :D

Am really looking forward to Ian adding some much needed drama to the show. Maybe this will cause the old Steffy to reemerge. Cannot wait.
Quote Post Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Feb 7 2012, 04:47 PM
His answer to the question about John and Marlena is a little puzzling, since he mentioned them in the other interview. Maybe he has scenes with them, but no prior history.
That's what I assumed from him acting like he didn't know what was going on. He's probably had business dealings with John or something like that, but no actual history in the way that he has with Kate and Madison.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie :) enjoyed reading hope Ian gets great stuff he's a fine actor :D

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

Tabbie
Feb 7 2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the great interview DR! :D

Am really looking forward to Ian adding some much needed drama to the show. Maybe this will cause the old Steffy to reemerge. Cannot wait.
Maybe with Ian looking to rekindle romance with his wife we will get to see Ian vs Stefano. Seems like Ian will be competition for Stefano and we will probably get to see some of the old Stefano return to battle with Ian. Sounds good.
Edited by Virgo Twins, Feb 7 2012, 05:30 PM.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

Great interview DR!
This sounds good! I can't wait to see how he shakes things up!

six
Member Avatar

TFP. I hope they chem test him before they decide who he's going to end up with...although LK can create chemistry with anyone, so that shouldn't be a problem. This all sounds good. Don't let us down, Days.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Looking forward to Kate getting more to do. And Madison finally having some conflict in her life.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Pretty surprised to find out Madison and Ian were a couple, rather than father and daughter. The way Buchanan explains it, it kind of reminds me of Carl and Lorna's relationship on AW in the early-90s.

NyCsBaDdEsT
Member Avatar
Sami who?

DrewHamilton
Feb 7 2012, 06:46 PM
Pretty surprised to find out Madison and Ian were a couple, rather than father and daughter. The way Buchanan explains it, it kind of reminds me of Carl and Lorna's relationship on AW in the early-90s.
I actually thought that Ian was going to be her father as well...guess I was wrong.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Well that was just a tidbit. It leaves me longing for more and so excited to see IB on Days. We need someone to shake up the canvas and I think Ian can do it.

I really hope he gets to have scenes with James. They are friendly and respect each other as actors, so I would imagine the scenes would be very good.

Thanks Ellie!

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

This excites me.

stefenohairychest
Member Avatar

I don't like it one bit ..he just think he just can walk right back in her life by the wave of his hand..honey I home....the only way I can see Kate cheating on stefano is that he shuts her out after he learns what Alice had on him in the envelope and he purposely pushes Kate away to protect her....other than that..I don't see Kate falling in his arms because he seemly says he was wrong I want you back crap

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

NyCsBaDdEsT
Feb 7 2012, 06:47 PM
DrewHamilton
Feb 7 2012, 06:46 PM
I actually thought that Ian was going to be her father as well...guess I was wrong.
I thought that given his age over Madison that he was going to be her father but now that he is not and he clearly has come back to rekindle things with Kate because he is still harboring some love or feelings for Kate. I do not know what his deal is with Madison though what is it he thinks he made her so now he is just meddling in her affairs or what I really do not see romance here but I see that he wants to romance Kate. I am more interested in the Kate/Ian connection that the Madison one. I am a huge STATE fan but even I cannot wait to see what will be going on between Kate/Ian.

I am looking forward to seeing what Kate will do? Not sure what she feels for Ian now since she is married to Stefano and loves him but we will see. Will she be torn between the two men or will she stick with her husband?
Edited by Virgo Twins, Feb 7 2012, 10:57 PM.

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

I have always liked IB. I just hope Days does him justice in a character.

Alin89
Member Avatar

great interview

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply