Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Weekly Character Discussion: Kate
Topic Started: Feb 7 2012, 07:22 PM (1,872 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Every week we'll have a new thread for a different character; this week's is Kate. The purpose of this thread is to give both positive and negative feedback about the writing, characterization, and portrayal of the character. As always, the daily thread is the place to discuss specific episodes and scenes; this thread is for any and all thoughts on the character, the character's history, family relationships, and what you'd like to see for him/her. Feel fee to post pictures and clips if you'd like.

We'll be locking these at the end of each week and giving another character a turn.

This is not a place for fanbase fighting; please know before posting that there will be people in here who disagree with you, and if you have a different opinion that one stated, please just state your own respectfully. The point of this thread is to get feedback from everyone, good or bad.
Online Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar
"I don't know why I don't have a story, either!"

I don't hate her, but I don't find her super necessary, either.

EJate was hot, and my favorite pairing for both characters.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Remember when Kate had awesome hair and clothes? I loved her look in the 90s and early 2000s.
Edited by Southofsoap, Feb 7 2012, 07:38 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

I like her a lot. Favorite pairings were with Victor in the 90s and Roman in the 2000s. Great as a schemer and a villainess. Enjoy her love/hate relationship with Lucas and love her "mortal enemy" scenes with Sami.

I like how she and Marlena were always friends despite Kate/Sami putting each other through hell. I always thought that was an interesting dynamic.
Offline Profile Goto Top

dooldooldool

Deborah Adair will always be my Kate.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

I adore this character she is my absolute favorite Lauren Koslow rocks the HELL out of this role and I cannot wait to see what is coming up for Kate. With Ian coming to town and Stefano probably getting involved in this, how can he not, I know it will be good. :rockon:
Edited by Virgo Twins, Feb 7 2012, 08:23 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dreamer
Gone, But Not Forgotten!

double post
Edited by Dreamer, Feb 8 2012, 08:53 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dreamer
Gone, But Not Forgotten!

I really don't like her face deformaty from all her botox injections & possible face lifts. Sometimes she looks so scary when she talks. I get kinda freaked out. I think the camera's know this too and they shoot her alot from the side.
Edited by Dreamer, Feb 7 2012, 09:24 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MericP
Member Avatar

I've always liked Kate; I don't like her relationship with Lucas because it's just too...close for comfort, if you ask my opinion. She's got this strange need to be in his business all the time.

I loved her with Victor Webster! That was hot stuff; I know someone has clips of scenes with them because I've seen them posted here. I think Kenny maybe? I don't know, lol.

But anyway, she's so vile but I still love her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Who can't forget the monogrammed bra? LOLOL

The character is lame. She's all bark and no bite.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

Favorite Kate stories:

Victor/Kate/Vivian
Kate has a "Will doll" to drive Sami nuts.
Anytime Kate and Sami fight.
Kate and Roman's antagonistic relationship which turned to romance.
Kate becomes a waitress in a diner.
Offline Profile Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

MericP
Feb 7 2012, 09:07 PM
I've always liked Kate; I don't like her relationship with Lucas because it's just too...close for comfort, if you ask my opinion. She's got this strange need to be in his business all the time.

I loved her with Victor Webster! That was hot stuff; I know someone has clips of scenes with them because I've seen them posted here. I think Kenny maybe? I don't know, lol.

But anyway, she's so vile but I still love her.
Thank you on the Lucas thing! I think it's odd at best and borderline incestuous at worst. She's the only character who was at least tolerable in every pairing she's ever been in.

Kate is my favorite person in Salem right now. I loved to hate her for years, up until a few years ago and now it's just love.

I think she was at her best when she had a long running feud going and she spent most of her time focused on trying to destroy that person. The only issue I had with it was when the person she was fighting with was someone her kid actually wanted to be with. Then it was just annoying.

It does bother me that she treats her kids so differently though. IMO Philip was always an afterthought to her for some reason.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

I'll have to write my novel on Kate later, but I feel the need to say that my favorite part of Kate is her creepy relationship with Lucas. Entertains me to no end.
Online Profile Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I'll be so BLUE just thinking about you.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I miss 90s/early-00s Kate. She was such a diva back then and Lauren Kosow played it so well.

Like lysie, I like Kate's borderline inappropriate relationship with Lucas as well. I can't remember if they ever had a character call her out on it, but that would be a pretty good scene. It would be like when Taylor called Stephanie out on her obsession with Ridge. Kate and Lucas have pretty much the same relationship. No one is ever good enough for Lucas unless Kate hand picks them and she's only going to pick women that don't stand a chance at getting in the way of her and Lucas.

While I enjoy Stefano and Kate's marriage, I'm starting to wonder if it's hurting the character. I would much rather see Stefano killed off and Kate become the "lady of the manor," the DiMera widow. She could be so much fun with all of the power that comes from gaining Stefano's estate. I will say that I like her relationship with Stefano much better than her recent ones with Daniel and Roman or even John. I feel like Kate works much better when she's involved with an older man like Victor or Stefano.
Offline Profile Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

dooldooldool
Feb 7 2012, 08:20 PM
Yay another Deb Adair fan. I loved her version of Kate. I was never a real big fan of Koslow until they had Kate and Stefano put together. I'd still rather have Adair back in the role though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Southofsoap
Feb 7 2012, 07:37 PM
Remember when Kate had awesome hair and clothes? I loved her look in the 90s and early 2000s.
Honestly, I don't remember that at all.

I remember liking Kate vs. Vivian, but I think that's because I was a huge Vivian fan. Other than that, her battles with Sami were fun for a time. The rest of what she's been up to...meh. Y'know what though- thinking about this, she was the foil for two characters I loved, and I never really hated her. That's kind of interesting, imho.

I do love the way the actress purrs a lot, or at least she went through a period of purring her lines.

The character though- I think she's firmly a supporting player. I don't need to see her in any story of her own (though her actions/interactions at Alice's funeral were kind of cool). But I think I'd miss her if she weren't there somewhere.

Don't like her as a Dimera, don't fully understand how she wound up that way (I know the plot, I just don't buy it). She should have her own power, her own resources, imho
Offline Profile Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Feb 7 2012, 10:24 PM
While I enjoy Stefano and Kate's marriage, I'm starting to wonder if it's hurting the character. I would much rather see Stefano killed off and Kate become the "lady of the manor," the DiMera widow. She could be so much fun with all of the power that comes from gaining Stefano's estate.
That is long overdue. Then she could get back to her bitchy roots. She was also much better when Victor was in the nursing home.

Stefano and his genre counterparts really have no place in the modern era. The days of hidden cities, microchips and weather machines are long over.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar

darraholic
Feb 8 2012, 02:20 AM
dooldooldool
Feb 7 2012, 08:20 PM
Yay another Deb Adair fan. I loved her version of Kate. I was never a real big fan of Koslow until they had Kate and Stefano put together. I'd still rather have Adair back in the role though.
I always found that woman to be so frumpy and boring on whatever show she appeared on. With a nagging voice that would rot milk.

How she ever could have played Jill Foster post Brenda Dickson blows my mind.
Edited by Drew, Feb 8 2012, 03:36 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

I thought she could play sexy very well. She looked damn fine with Heather Locklear on Melrose Place.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic