Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soapnet to go dark in March
Topic Started: Jan 9 2012, 05:47 PM (1,170 Views)
Ellie

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/soapnet-go-dark-march

SOAPNET To Go Dark In March

By SOD Posted: Jan 9, 2012

Disney Junior will officially replace SOAPnet on March 23 in most cable- and satellite-equipped homes, according to TV Guide. The mag reports that the SOAPnet will officially shutter later, when the few cable and satellite providers with whom Disney has yet to finalize deals for Disney Junior are completed.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Checkers
Member Avatar

I don't have soapnet anymore but I was addicted to that channel back in elementary school. They used to have the best soapy promos.

It introduced me to Knots Landing, Ryan's Hope, Falcon Crest, and Sisters. Soaps I never would have been able to see.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Checkers
Jan 9 2012, 06:54 PM
I don't have soapnet anymore but I was addicted to that channel back in elementary school. They used to have the best soapy promos.
Wait, are you suggesting that perhaps kids actually watch things other than specifically-targeted "edutainment?"

That's crazy talk. Bring on Disney Jr. There are literally billions of kids out there, and it's a Disney vs. Nick (Viacom) world. It's best to make them choose a side early in life.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Checkers

It introduced me to Knots Landing, Ryan's Hope, Falcon Crest, and Sisters. Soaps I never would have been able to see.
That was back when they had shows that were actually watchable outside of the current soaps they aired.... ^o)

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Miss Rhi
Jan 9 2012, 08:32 PM
Checkers

That was back when they had shows that were actually watchable outside of the current soaps they aired.... ^o)
You don't like our Canadian exports? ;)

Actor87
Member Avatar
The Royal Dork

From @JimRomanovich via Twitter:

SOAPNET IS NOT, REPEAT, NOT GOING OFF IN MARCH

When Rhi asked if SOD had gotten the story wrong, he replied...

Not intentionally. Just hang tight

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Drew
Jan 9 2012, 08:53 PM
You don't like our Canadian exports? ;)
You can keep your "Being Erica" and shove it where...... :P

Deleted User
Deleted User

TV Guide Article:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Disney-Junior-SoapNet-March-1041380.aspx
Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It hasn't been Soapnet in years. So no big deal to me.

Marlene

It's clear we need another 24-hr children's channel. :sarcasm: Do children never sleep? :shame: Who's going to be watching this Disney show that's going to come on at midnight? The PBS channels show children's programming from first thing in the morning until around dinnertime. Why can't Disney/Soapnet do something similar?

On a separate note, I guess on 3/23, I better record days or make sure to catch in on SN at 8 PM because it won't be on at midnight. (That is, of course, assuming the schedule starys the same after OLTL goes off the air.)

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

They should just make Soapnet a classic soaps channel. Kind of like Nickelodeon has done for their 90's shows, they've dedicated the end/middle of the night to the shows that today's young adults watched. Soapnet would do good to go back to airing old soaps and popular 80's storylines from the current soaps.

Bremol
Member Avatar

Too bad Turner can't buy it and turn it into Turner Classic Soaps.

Tom

Bremol
Jan 18 2012, 07:46 PM
Ahem... can't or won't?

RoseVioletDaisy
Member Avatar

fritosguy
Jan 19 2012, 12:57 AM
Bremol
Ahem... can't or won't?
Um...can't. Disney owns that channel, is almost finished re-branding it, and has carriage contracts for it with cable and satellite companies. They wouldn't sell it now and even if they would, why would Turner want to buy it? Turner has no rights to any soaps, they would have to make an enormous investment to buy them from ABC and Sony. P&G properties are now off limits since distribution rights have already been licensed to another party (soapclassics). Shows like Santa Barbara are out of the question because music clearance fees would be exorbitantly expensive. The potential for profit with soap re-runs is almost nil. Soapnet's best ratings were always for same-episodes of shows that were hot at the moment. Their reruns of classic shows have always brought horrible numbers, sometimes so low that they didn't even register and were logged as 0.0.

Bremol
Member Avatar

RoseVioletDaisy
Jan 19 2012, 04:44 PM
fritosguy
Jan 19 2012, 12:57 AM
Bremol
Ahem... can't or won't?
Um...can't. Disney owns that channel, is almost finished re-branding it, and has carriage contracts for it with cable and satellite companies. They wouldn't sell it now and even if they would, why would Turner want to buy it? Turner has no rights to any soaps, they would have to make an enormous investment to buy them from ABC and Sony. P&G properties are now off limits since distribution rights have already been licensed to another party (soapclassics). Shows like Santa Barbara are out of the question because music clearance fees would be exorbitantly expensive. The potential for profit with soap re-runs is almost nil. Soapnet's best ratings were always for same-episodes of shows that were hot at the moment. Their reruns of classic shows have always brought horrible numbers, sometimes so low that they didn't even register and were logged as 0.0.
And all of the above would be why I didn't say, won't ;) .

Alin89
Member Avatar

i will miss soapnet. I want the original soapnet bak though.

Alexandria
Member Avatar

I really hate this, there are so many channels for children to watch not to mention people who work and/or cannot afford a tivo/dvr. This was a great channel and yes there should be a very limited time for children to watch television. I have set rules in my home. It's not healthy to watch too much television for children.

Marlene

Like so many others, I preferred Soapnet when they showed episodes of Another World, Dallas and I can't remember what else at that time.

There's only one good thing about the demise of soapnet. . .
I started watching Days at 11:00 PM when that was it's only non-daytime airing. When Days was on at 7, that worked for me, but when it was pushed back to 8, I was back to the later airing. I never watched OLTL until the cancellation was announced. Then I think I got hooked, so I've been watching Days at midnight and OLTL at 1. Needless to say, I need more sleep.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Gosh I feel horrible for all the mothers of these insomniac children who will be up at 2am watching the Mickey Mouse Club on the 24/7 Disney Jr. channel! :blink:

Soapnet hasn't been a good channel in years. And with the majority of the good soaps cancelled I wont miss the channel much. I have no desire to watch DAYS more then once a day! :huh:

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

This sucks for Sony/Corday Productions...that is a good chunk of money they no longer will receiving from SoapNet/Disney for DAYS broadcasting rights...not to mention Corday Productions also will be losing its portion of the Y&R broadcasting rights as well.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Jan 23 2012, 02:06 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply