Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings: January 30th - February 3rd; DAYS Hits New Low in Women 18-49 Viewers
Topic Started: Feb 10 2012, 07:40 PM (1,922 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Ratings Report for the Week of January 30 – February 3, 2012

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings

(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,949,000 (-14,000/-384,000)
2. B&B 3,421,000 (-205,000/+217,000)
3. DAYS 2,379,000 (-160,000/-651,000)
4. GH 2,209,000 (-91,000/-684,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.6/12 (same/-.2)
2. B&B 2.5/8 (-.1/+.2)
3. DAYS 1.8/6 (-.1/-.3)
4. GH 1.6/5 (-.1/-.4) <—— ties low

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 914,000 (-44,000/-164,000)
2. B&B 708,000 (-93,000/+70,000)
3. GH 592,000 (same/-266,000)
4. DAYS 500,000 (-31,000/-339,000) <—— new low *

Previous low: 520,000 (December 19-23, 2011)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.4/9 (-.1/-.2)
2. B&B 1.1/7 (-.2/+.1)
3. GH 0.9/6 (same/-.4)
4. DAYS 0.8/5 (same/-.5) <—— ties low (2nd straight week)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. Y&R 0.7/4 (same/-.2)
2. B&B 0.5/3 (-.1/same)
2. GH 0.5/3 (+.1/-.3)
4. DAYS 0.4/3 (-.1/-.5) <—— ties low

Men 18+ Viewers
1. Y&R 1,145,000 (+34,000/-118,000)
2. B&B 746,000 (-34,000/+17,000)
3. DAYS 503,000 (-105,000/-235,000)
4. GH 420,000 (-40,000/-169,000)

Day-To-Day Ratings – HH/Total Viewers

B&B
Monday: 2.8/3,806,000
Tuesday: 2.5/3,292,000
Wednesday: 2.4/3,221,000
Thursday: 2.6/3,531,000
Friday: 2.4/3,256,000

DAYS
Monday: 1.9/2,462,000
Tuesday: 1.6/2,149,000
Wednesday: 1.8/2,404,000
Thursday: 1.9/2,540,000
Friday: 1.8/2,339,000

GH
Monday: 1.7/2,377,000
Tuesday: 1.6/2,177,000
Wednesday: 1.6/2,162,000
Thursday: 1.6/2,163,000
Friday: 1.7/2,166,000

Y&R
Monday: 3.8/5,285,000
Tuesday: 3.8/5,280,000
Wednesday: 3.5/4,702,000
Thursday: 3.7/4,846,000
Friday: 3.4/4,632,000

More At: http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/news/ratings-days-hits-new-low-in-women-18-49-viewers-2
Quote Post Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

Wth happened Tuesday????
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

peaches179

Days better get it together!

Ouch to GH!!!

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Seems no soap gained OLTL's viewers, which isn't surprising.

lovinsafe
Member Avatar

WOW!!!!!!!! This is the beginning of sweeps!!!!!!!!! Well I’m impressed that viewers aren’t watching this garbage that TPTB is calling a soap, I hope they are proud of these ratings all the credit goes to Mar/Dar! And losing 650,000 viewers from last year, and viewers hated last years S/L (Rafe2) crap! :applause: :applause:

peaches179

blueskies
Feb 10 2012, 07:52 PM
Wth happened Tuesday????

Tuesday January 31:
Guilt affects Madison and she reconsiders her attack on Kate.
Sami's guilt causes her to lash out at John's bonding attempt.
Abby feels no shame when she pits Austin against Carrie.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

DAYS was pre-empted in some markets on Tuesday...could have been why it dropped.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

What a disappointing start to sweeps. These ratings really reflect the disappointment of the fans with Mardar. A loss of 650,000 viewers from last year? Seems Days is bleeding viewers. They had better do something and fast if they want Days to continue. Just goes to show you can't promise the viewers things and then turn around and do something completely opposite. Tends to piss people off.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

It doesn't matter much if Days finally has some things happening in February as it seems a good number of fans left the show already due to being bored to death. I'm not sure Days can get those viewers back.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I'm not interested in this version of Days, sadly. You can't have boring shows for months and then expect people to come back because it's sweeps. I'm really hoping that once RC and FV's version of GH kicks in that things will turn around for them.

And, finally, The Revolution just needs to G.O.! What was ABC thinking?

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Feb 10 2012, 09:27 PM
It doesn't matter much if Days finally has some things happening in February as it seems a good number of fans left the show already due to being bored to death. I'm not sure Days can get those viewers back.
Yep, and you can't just write stories for sweeps and give the fans nothing for the 3 or 4 months in between. Fans won't come back just for a few weeks worth of boring stories that are going nowhere.

OldDaysFankat

The hidden success despite the drops this week is B&B. The show just keeps chugging

Y&R is not perfect and still has some cringeworthy stories but Melody Thomas Scott's return as a stronger Nikki seems to have given the show a jolt as her return helped conclude and propel some new storylines. And for the first time in years I am seeing Victor/ Nikki as the central pairing and they are almost rootable again.

GH well there are no words. This shows 2 central pairings I don't care how big their fanbases are are just dull and flat with uninteresting 'realistic' stories and the rest of the show with unrootable characters galore.

Days for all the hype, someone has to acknowledge this reboot a bust.On paper these stories should be good but despite the returns which have been a bust, the show feels generic and flat. Its like they tried to turn Salem into Pine Valley but the show lacks the intimacy and charm and at times quirkiness of AMC. I actually find the show worse than Higley because it elicits no passion not even hate. EJ, Rafe, Austin, Brady are all interchangable characters now as are Nicole, Madison,Jennifer and Carrie. Sami and Will are interchangable also and the stories lack passion. So Safe is splitting up and Carrie might sleep with Rafe or Madison has a husband or Nicole might leave EJ. You know what I find myself saying big deal rather than wow. Sure there are some good scenes and some promise but as I said the show feels very sterile to me.And GH with 100K less viewers and lower HH ratings is still 100K ahead of Days in their key advertising demos.
Edited by OldDaysFankat, Feb 10 2012, 10:35 PM.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

magicsteacher
Feb 10 2012, 09:54 PM
dc cubs
Feb 10 2012, 09:27 PM
Yep, and you can't just write stories for sweeps and give the fans nothing for the 3 or 4 months in between. Fans won't come back just for a few weeks worth of boring stories that are going nowhere.
It's not 1995 anymore and there are a ton of other choices for people these days (both ON and OFF the TV). Can't only bring it for sweeps or you will be SOL like Days & GH.

AlisonLou

The news about Princess Gina returning and John and Hope's marriage came out this week. That story will drag the show down.
Days just won't listen to their viewers.
The 90's sucked. So did the Princess Gina sl back then.
The writing is terrible!

CarlD2

AlisonLou
Feb 10 2012, 11:43 PM
The news about Princess Gina returning and John and Hope's marriage came out this week. That story will drag the show down.
Days just won't listen to their viewers.
The 90's sucked. So did the Princess Gina sl back then.
The writing is terrible!
I think the story with the John/Hope marriage could get interest if it's properly paced and has some stakes. At the moment it seems to be a non-event but hopefully will build up.

Most of the writing on the show is plodding. Even if something big happens, it's spoiled through being rushed, or seeming to be dragged out. Carrie/Rafe were the former, Sami/Will the latter. Will has been crying and yelling and huffing and puffing for months, so when he actually confronted Sami about the sex with EJ, it was just same tantrum, different day. It was, to me, a big anticlimax. Meanwhile, Sami finding out about Carrie/Rafe when they'd just been thrown together was drowning out most of the potential drama of what would happen months from now.

tylerbo20

days needs to stop taping so far in advance because by the time the new plan to save days comes along there will be no viewers left..i mean i like john/marlena/carrie/austin/jack/jen but the writing is terrible...

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I think Days really turned things around with the Friday episode of Sami catching Carrie and Rafe kissing. This past week has been the best week of Days since the reset. We finally have some big and juicy stories going. I'm definitely back to tuning in full time.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wasn't Days preempted in some big market last Tuesday? That would account for the drop to 1.6. Something had to cause that drop given how steady the rest of the week was. I think we will see a similar dropoff on Tuesday for this past week's ratings too because Days was preempted in NYC on Tuesday for the Giants parade.

The show has been steadily improving and last week was a turning point, especially the Friday episode. It's the first time we actually got real Friday cliffhangers too in awhile. It's too bad it all happened on a Friday because Days and all the soaps usually do awful on Fridays. Anyway, I expect Days will do well the rest of sweeps with so much going on aside from this past Tuesday due to the parade.

The issue for Days is we are headed into the spring and summer when ratings traditionally are awful. Fall and winter was the time to hook people and Days wasted it. That is concerning. However, given how nice the weather has been all fall and winter, I'm not sure they could've hooked them if they tried. Afterall, a huge reason for the 2009 ratings surge was there were so many snowstorms that year.

Days just needs to stick with these stories and keep building them. They need to slow down and really build investment. They have rushed through some critical beats already with many of these stories and now it seems the Sami/EJ affair will be exposed this month too, which is a HUGE mistake in my book. They have plenty going on this month. Build the story more and save something for beyond this month. Days better have big stuff coming beyond sweeps and going right into next fall and winter. They spent the last 6 months building story up. They can't go through another setup period again. Over the next 12 months they need to bring it like OLTL did last year or they will be in trouble.

The good news is that it still looks like Days is doing well in the season to date numbers (you have to click on the link and go to SON to see those). Days is still averaging a 2.0 in HH and a 1.1 in 18-49. I said this in 2010 when Days was up for renewal and people wondered how it got a multi-year renewal given it dropped hard in 2010 following 2009's surge. I think the online numbers and later DR viewings help Days alot. I think NBC went with those numbers and renewed it. I think it was late 2009 when Days started putting episodes online or at least hyping it and I also think alot of the new viewers the show hooked in 2009 probably became DVR viewers because they were likely younger. Notice the 18-49 and 18-34 demos began CRASHING in late 2009 even when Days was still surging and never recovered. Then, you look at the season to date numbers(which include later DVR viewings while the numbers in this thread only include same day DVR viewings) for Days since and they average much higher in the 18-49 demo. To me, that indicates Days hasn't lost as many younger viewers as the numbers would indicate (we know they do well with those over 50 because I believe numbers were reported a year or so ago suggesting that and NBC was being encouraged to consider the over 50 demo a valuable demo) and that they simply are watching later on DVR (on weekends) or via online. I think this goes for all soaps. I think the reason Days and other soaps do so horrible regularly on Fridays is because it's likely many viewers merely go out after work or school instead of going home (especially younger viewers) like they would Monday-Thursday so they don't watch the show on DVR the day it airs. They catch it Saturday or Sunday or even later.

AlisonLou

Days are losing viewers because their stories are bad and go on too long and the writing is terrible.
Days have lost over 600,000 viewers since Dena left and Marlene and Darryl took over.
The headwriters need to go. What headwriter thinks this John and Hope marriage and the upcoming John and Gina crap would bring viewers back? Especially when that stuff cost them 2 million viewers when it originally aired.
The 90's crappy stories cost them in the ratings then and it's costing them in the ratings now.
Edited by AlisonLou, Feb 11 2012, 03:01 AM.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

PhoenixRising05
Feb 11 2012, 01:53 AM
Wasn't Days preempted in some big market last Tuesday? That would account for the drop to 1.6. Something had to cause that drop given how steady the rest of the week was. I think we will see a similar dropoff on Tuesday for this past week's ratings too because Days was preempted in NYC on Tuesday for the Giants parade.

The show has been steadily improving and last week was a turning point, especially the Friday episode. It's the first time we actually got real Friday cliffhangers too in awhile. It's too bad it all happened on a Friday because Days and all the soaps usually do awful on Fridays. Anyway, I expect Days will do well the rest of sweeps with so much going on aside from this past Tuesday due to the parade.

The issue for Days is we are headed into the spring and summer when ratings traditionally are awful. Fall and winter was the time to hook people and Days wasted it. That is concerning. However, given how nice the weather has been all fall and winter, I'm not sure they could've hooked them if they tried. Afterall, a huge reason for the 2009 ratings surge was there were so many snowstorms that year.

Days just needs to stick with these stories and keep building them. They need to slow down and really build investment. They have rushed through some critical beats already with many of these stories and now it seems the Sami/EJ affair will be exposed this month too, which is a HUGE mistake in my book. They have plenty going on this month. Build the story more and save something for beyond this month. Days better have big stuff coming beyond sweeps and going right into next fall and winter. They spent the last 6 months building story up. They can't go through another setup period again. Over the next 12 months they need to bring it like OLTL did last year or they will be in trouble.

The good news is that it still looks like Days is doing well in the season to date numbers (you have to click on the link and go to SON to see those). Days is still averaging a 2.0 in HH and a 1.1 in 18-49. I said this in 2010 when Days was up for renewal and people wondered how it got a multi-year renewal given it dropped hard in 2010 following 2009's surge. I think the online numbers and later DR viewings help Days alot. I think NBC went with those numbers and renewed it. I think it was late 2009 when Days started putting episodes online or at least hyping it and I also think alot of the new viewers the show hooked in 2009 probably became DVR viewers because they were likely younger. Notice the 18-49 and 18-34 demos began CRASHING in late 2009 even when Days was still surging and never recovered. Then, you look at the season to date numbers(which include later DVR viewings while the numbers in this thread only include same day DVR viewings) for Days since and they average much higher in the 18-49 demo. To me, that indicates Days hasn't lost as many younger viewers as the numbers would indicate (we know they do well with those over 50 because I believe numbers were reported a year or so ago suggesting that and NBC was being encouraged to consider the over 50 demo a valuable demo) and that they simply are watching later on DVR (on weekends) or via online. I think this goes for all soaps. I think the reason Days and other soaps do so horrible regularly on Fridays is because it's likely many viewers merely go out after work or school instead of going home (especially younger viewers) like they would Monday-Thursday so they don't watch the show on DVR the day it airs. They catch it Saturday or Sunday or even later.
Jim Romanvich (spelling?) Also said that Days' international success helps too. When you think about it ATWT/GL and the ABC soaps didn't have that, but YR, BB, DAYS do. Maybe they aren't going away as soon as we thought.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply