Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings: Feb 6-10
Topic Started: Feb 16 2012, 07:56 PM (2,504 Views)
daisy132

I honestly don't know how much ratings matter at this point. I would think that with only four soaps left, when they decide to scrap soaps, they will probably scrap all of them regardless of the ratings.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I find it interesting that Days is the ONLY soap that increased in their male 18+ viewers last week. Does anyone else find that rather different?

blueskies
Member Avatar

looking at those ratings i can see bringing back John & Marlena did improve the women 49+. Had to be them b/c the men 18+ & the women 18-49 went DOWN since last year. The John/Marlena gimmick did work for ratings, HOWEVER, MarDar obviously need to pick up the writing.

LPS
Member Avatar

For Y&R, that was the week Ronan left and the Jersey Shore sh*t was on all the time. IMO, that storyline is really hurting the show.

DaveBedford
Bitches be crazy! Haters are gonna hate!

I see the atrocious ratings for Days is no surprise ~SSDD: Same Shit, Different Day

GH isn't a shock either bc Wolf & Alltman were writing that wk. I'll be curious to see Carlivati's wk when the ratings come out.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

These ratings have become predictable and stuck. The only real story is the B&B pickup. I guess we can now see where some of the ABC fans ended up. They are up half a million from this time last year....that's interesting and promising for them.

What I am concerned about with Days is the same story in post after post: Demos. This show use to suck in overall numbers, but still soared in women 18-35 or women 18-49. It was always a top three contender, if not at the top of the heap. One might say living in the past by bringing back vets is killing the shows younger demos, but that would be the wrong answer I think. Months of no story to cling to what-so-ever would be the issue. Generation X and Generation Y have the collective attention span's of a common mosquito. You can't have stories going on with no points or beats playing out.

It's better now. The Will Story, once word really spreads and it gets going better, will start to help some I think. That story, with it's current pacing and honest/edgy vibe, will eventually resonate. The demos are bad because we've had months with no real flow or gripping stories.

Is this bad for Days? Yes, if it continues. BUT, do not underestimate this show. Days is owned by Sony.......Sony wants Days to continue.....Sony pays a fee to NBC if ratings get too low, but it's a rather low number the show has to reach. What is NBC going to replace Days with? NBC has no intention of starting a new talk show or reality show. Will NBC give the slot to affiliates..... It could happen, but not likely at the present.

Days, once the most expensive show to produced in daytime, is now one of the cheapest. It's actually making a profit (though not as much as it use to, it is further into the black than it was in 2007). NBC's primtime lineup is the most horrendous mess I have ever scene a major network get into. It is not even redeemable currently.

The only stability NBC has in it's entire line up are these: "The Today Show", "Days Of Our Lives" , "NBC Nightly News", "The Tonight Show" and "Saturday Night Live". IF the heart of the line up could get it's act together, or get just one top five hit in it's prime time lineup, I would be more worried. Add in the fact that Comcast seems to like "Days" thanks to online viewing and other key elements.

Days won't last forever....nothing really does. Days isn't in a great place, and if it were cancelled by NBC/Comcast/Sony.....I would be surprised, but not actually in denial or shocked. I just think given the current state of affairs with NBC/Sony, and the show making or besting it's budget.....Cancellation isn't an immediate threat.

The show with that clouid looming is GH......and that show has a lot to be concerned about.......IMO, from what little I think and know, it most likely will get it's cancellation press release by the end of June....Just a hunch

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Love that post. And thanks for giving insight on the Sony thing. Just because ABC wanted out of the soaps doesn't mean the others are going too. I don't see DAYS, YR, BB going anywhere anytime soon. All of them have people behind who want them to continue as they are all family owned or partly family owned. Not to mention they are the only really popular American soaps worldwide. It will be interesting to see what happens to those 3.

Hopefully GH can cling on to another year since The Revolution is failing. I would really like to see them make it to 50 and then end.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Eric83
Feb 27 2012, 05:52 PM
Love that post. And thanks for giving insight on the Sony thing. Just because ABC wanted out of the soaps doesn't mean the others are going too. I don't see DAYS, YR, BB going anywhere anytime soon. All of them have people behind who want them to continue as they are all family owned or partly family owned. Not to mention they are the only really popular American soaps worldwide. It will be interesting to see what happens to those 3.

Hopefully GH can cling on to another year since The Revolution is failing. I would really like to see them make it to 50 and then end.
Thanks....The soap world is a complicated place, as is most of the industry. ABC seemed like it had the best scenario possible, when they steamlined the line up and bought out all of it's soaps. That seemed to be a great idea at the time, but in the end it was the catalyst for their demise.

I think you are right. Y&R, B&B, and Days will be the last three standing. Some people think the networks will lower the boom on the last three and end them in the next two years. While anything can happen, I just do not think that is the road they will take.

CBC is going to say to Sony and Bell Productions and say "We are going to cancel two shows with 4.5 and 3.5 million viewers per day, and with strong demos, and give that hour and a half of dead airspace to the affiliates. We have nothing in the pipeline to replace it with, so the affiliates will have to fill the time with a mix of old primetime reruns. Sure, the network will lose viewers, and money, but we want out of the soap business bad enough to lose ad revenue"

NBC is going to say "Days, you are making us money, you help our affilates noon news broadcast, and we have nothing to replace you with that is remotely as popular or lucrative, but we are going to cancel you. We care enough to cancel you, even though we don't care about our prime time line up enough to really invest in it, and when we do invest, we are clueless. No, Days has to go...that's the priority.."

It's just not likely. Not in the near future. The reasoning isn't there. If something changes, and we hear about possible new daytime productions for CBS, or Days stays at a 1.6 or below for more than three or four months.....then engrave the tombstones. Till then, let's try to give them a fighting chance.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply