Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NYT: After some soaps' cancellations, others adjust
Topic Started: Feb 19 2012, 10:01 AM (3,966 Views)
Ellie

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/arts/television/after-some-soaps-cancellations-others-adjust.html?_r=1

Related piece (mostly on OLTL): http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/arts/television/one-life-to-live-and-lessons-for-real-life.html?pagewanted=1&ref=television
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Interesting article. I was somewhat heartened by the comments that Days was financially healthy. LOL, at the Tums & Advil in the foreground of the picture of Meng & the writers. Looks as though they're still going with the theory that they're doing something right if they're getting people talking. TFP!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Well, nothing really new here but I see that looks like a new set....perhaps the coffee house that Sonny and Co. are starting?

TFP

jderoche5
Member Avatar

I like the looks of this new set.

Aldo
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Feb 19 2012, 10:10 AM
Well, nothing really new here but I see that looks like a new set....perhaps the coffee house that Sonny and Co. are starting?

TFP
With Justin, Adrienne and Victor there, that most probably is Common Grounds (Sonny's coffee house).

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

TFP Ellie!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Yeah that is definitely the new coffee house. It's looks decent but it's sad we had to lose the Cheatin Heart and Java Cafe for it.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Aldo
Feb 19 2012, 10:23 AM
Liz<3Days
Feb 19 2012, 10:10 AM

TFP
With Justin, Adrienne and Victor there, that most probably is Common Grounds (Sonny's coffee house).
It's so nice to see Justin and Adrienne! Judi looks stunning and Ian is handsome as always. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Tom

Thanks for posting this. So interesting!

My favorite part from Dee: “We still come to you every day with our honesty and our tenderness, and we comfort people in their homes,” she said. “That’s a thing Americans can’t afford to lose, especially now.”

Dee is so right. Marlena has the most comforting voice and no matter what's going on in your world, she puts you at ease.

OldDaysFankat

That was a good read and I liked what all had to say but you can't make daytime like PT.And while Meng talked about cost reductions, Gary Tomlin was the genius behind that model. I also hate the twitter buzz nonsense. B&B gets no online love and what good did online buzz do for Days when while ejami was pushed who got nonstop online buzz the ratings tanked. Look at GH and all their online buzz. I do like what Brad and Maria said about getting people a reason to watch daily but with the quickened pace its hard to come up with must see moments daily. B&B's uptick like Days in 2009 and OLTL last year were all due to a story generating interest not big name cast returns

Ellie

OldDaysFankat
Feb 19 2012, 11:49 AM
And while Meng talked about cost reductions, Gary Tomlin was the genius behind that model.
I see what you're saying, but Gary Tomlin's "genius" in other areas led to the need for a reset in the first place. I don't think it's out of line for the current team to take credit, at least partially, for the production model. Tomlin may have thought of it first (though we don't know that for a fact), but if it had just been left to him, the show would be in very different shape than it is now.

OldDaysFankat

Ellie
Feb 19 2012, 12:27 PM
OldDaysFankat
Feb 19 2012, 11:49 AM
And while Meng talked about cost reductions, Gary Tomlin was the genius behind that model.
I see what you're saying, but Gary Tomlin's "genius" in other areas led to the need for a reset in the first place. I don't think it's out of line for the current team to take credit, at least partially, for the production model. Tomlin may have thought of it first (though we don't know that for a fact), but if it had just been left to him, the show would be in very different shape than it is now.
Meng hasn't done anything groundbreaking and ratings/demos are worse than even the worst of Higley/Tomlin. Tomlin was also EP for the 2 years this show improved in ratings. Remind me who the EP was in 2007 and 2008 when Days ratings took a nosedive and Ej and Sam were front and center and I am a huge Ed Scott fan. Ed Scott.

Ellie

OldDaysFankat
Feb 19 2012, 12:36 PM
Meng hasn't done anything groundbreaking
I completely disagree. Also let's keep in mind that as I alluded to before, we really don't know who does what backstage. Sometimes the people who are not in the spotlight are the ones who actually get the most done. Tomlin got a lot of press, but that really doesn't mean much in terms of the workings of the show.

Quote:

and ratings/demos are worse than even the worst of Higley/Tomlin.
That's just not true! Higley got the show down to 1.6 on some days, and people were speculating that if she stayed on, the show would be canceled.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Tom
Feb 19 2012, 11:38 AM

My favorite part from Dee: “We still come to you every day with our honesty and our tenderness, and we comfort people in their homes,” she said. “That’s a thing Americans can’t afford to lose, especially now.”

Dee is so right. Marlena has the most comforting voice and no matter what's going on in your world, she puts you at ease.
I agree. That's why I got hooked on DAYS way back when. The storylines were outlandish (I started during Reilly) and weird, and I didn't quite get them, but I was hooked by Marlena and by John & Marlena's love story. I didn't need the writers to tell me John & Marlena were meant to be, nor would I believe that John loved Kristen or Marlena was happy without John. Because when Marlena was onscreen, she felt familiar. And when John looked at Marlena, I knew he loved her, and I wanted to see them end up together.

That's, to me, what soaps are really about.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OldDaysFankat

Ellie
Feb 19 2012, 12:54 PM
OldDaysFankat
Feb 19 2012, 12:36 PM
Meng hasn't done anything groundbreaking
I completely disagree. Also let's keep in mind that as I alluded to before, we really don't know who does what backstage. Sometimes the people who are not in the spotlight are the ones who actually get the most done. Tomlin got a lot of press, but that really doesn't mean much in terms of the workings of the show.

Quote:

and ratings/demos are worse than even the worst of Higley/Tomlin.
That's just not true! Higley got the show down to 1.6 on some days, and people were speculating that if she stayed on, the show would be canceled.

Higley never hit a .8 in the key demos ever.

As for backstage, Meng doesn't impress me never has. I am not saying Tomlin was perfect but his production model is the same one Valentini gets kudos for. Any EP can bring back out of work fan faves and fire others but I am not noticing any groundbreaking changes in his production style or storytelling and he's likely lasted this long because he's a Corday yes man. Ed Scott who didn't have a successful reign showed more innovation than Meng but then Scott also learned from Bill Bell.

I am not a huge Valentini fan but his production style gives the illusion of faster pace. Better music, shorter scenes, split scenes gave OLTL a more contemporary feel. And a lot of the camp fit OLTL. It amazes me how the man that likely saved this show from cancellation and got it a renewal to 2013 and a potential 2014 pickup is constantly lambasted.
Edited by OldDaysFankat, Feb 19 2012, 01:27 PM.

Tom

The Room Stops
Feb 19 2012, 01:17 PM
Tom
Feb 19 2012, 11:38 AM

I agree. That's why I got hooked on DAYS way back when. The storylines were outlandish (I started during Reilly) and weird, and I didn't quite get them, but I was hooked by Marlena and by John & Marlena's love story. I didn't need the writers to tell me John & Marlena were meant to be, nor would I believe that John loved Kristen or Marlena was happy without John. Because when Marlena was onscreen, she felt familiar. And when John looked at Marlena, I knew he loved her, and I wanted to see them end up together.

That's, to me, what soaps are really about.
Exactly. The cool thing is that, the way Marlena is positioned and the chemistry she has with John, in your banner, would give a non-fan the impression that they're a couple. You couldn't say the same about Brady and Madison or too many other couples on the show. They could be brother and sister or just friends. But Dee is positioned in such a way that you can tell Drake's character is her rock and he is positioned in such a way that you can tell they're a packaged deal. It's just natural chemistry. They look good together, they feel good together, and it's not just because of SEX. (Talking to you, Bradison!) The sad thing about the NYT article is that it gives the impression that, since women are "edgier" these days, we can't have a true love story that isn't based purely on sex. That Brady proposed to Madison after very little evidence of this supposed "great love" tells me that TPTB don't get the difference between casual bedhopping that may prevalent in many parts of today's real life society, and what that segment of society is lacking: true love.

stefenohairychest
Member Avatar

I notice Ian McAllister is looking very hard at Marlena in the picture shown...hmmmmmmm

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Tom
Feb 19 2012, 01:51 PM
Exactly. The cool thing is that, the way Marlena is positioned and the chemistry she has with John, in your banner, would give a non-fan the impression that they're a couple. You couldn't say the same about Brady and Madison or too many other couples on the show. They could be brother and sister or just friends. But Dee is positioned in such a way that you can tell Drake's character is her rock and he is positioned in such a way that you can tell they're a packaged deal. It's just natural chemistry. They look good together, they feel good together, and it's not just because of SEX. (Talking to you, Bradison!) The sad thing about the NYT article is that it gives the impression that, since women are "edgier" these days, we can't have a true love story that isn't based purely on sex. That Brady proposed to Madison after very little evidence of this supposed "great love" tells me that TPTB don't get the difference between casual bedhopping that may prevalent in many parts of today's real life society, and what that segment of society is lacking: true love.
I so agree with this. Natural chemistry, it can't be fought. IMO, they have the best chemistry on TV, soap or not. Because they look like they belong together. They fit. They seem like home. When John looks at Marlena, you know he loves her, and when she looks at him, you know she loves him. That's chemistry.

And Marlena was edgy when she first came on, and she still can be, but that doesn't mean she whores around or talks dirty or screams to get her way. Marlena had three beautiful love stories within 10 years, and you didn't doubt that she loved each man differently and fully. Her relationship with Don was sweet, her relationship with Roman was cute and funny, and her relationship with John (who turned out to be Roman at that time) was sassy and intimate, and passionate without them having sex until five months after they started to have feelings for each other. People knew who Marlena was within months of her being on, because she stood for something. But also what she stood for is what allowed her to have flaws and make mistakes, because she was passionate and protective of the people she loved.

I still don't know who Madison is, and sadly I don't care (I want to, because Sarah Brown is fabulous), because they haven't given me a reason to. Her scenes with John and Marlena were a beautiful start, but they kept her so isolated to Brady and having sex with him that I don't care now. Give her scenes with Abigail, but follow up. Give her scenes with Carrie and Austin. Involve her with EJ and Nicole, just give me a reason to care.

Same as I don't care about Sami or Melanie or Daniel. I see no qualities in them for me to like. Like her or not, I care about Nicole, for some weird reason. Even though she has few redeeming qualities, I care. I care about Stefano when he's written correctly, because even though he's a master villain, and has few redeeming qualities as well, he does have them.

Marlena's iconic, and that's not because of The Possession storyline.

People DO still crave true love. Look at the shows that are hits with the internet audience right now like Revenge, Once Upon A Time, Castle, Glee (ugh) and even older favorites like Bones and Grey's. They're all, in the end, about a love story. Most people don't watch Castle and Bones to see the crime solving, they wanna see the relationship between the main characters. We still want true love, we're just more allowed to bedhop while we wait.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

stefenohairychest
Feb 19 2012, 02:14 PM
I notice Ian McAllister is looking very hard at Marlena in the picture shown...hmmmmmmm
Hopefully it's just Mr Buchanan looking at Ms Hall. They worked together before, so they know each other a little.

jane1978

What a bunch of crap from Meng. The guy talks a good talk but has no results whatsoever. Yes, he brought back a bunch of fan favorites and either wasted them or put them in a stories very few wanted to watch. He killed all the "reset" buzz in a record time. And what´s the BS about quicker pace and no repetitive dialogs in the scenes? Everything Bope did regards "the mystery" was repetitive and boring as hell. I shudder to think the guy really believes to what he says.

I agree with the poster above who said Tomlin is the one who deserves most of the praise. He had a real results until Corday forced him to let Higley write again. And I fully believe if the show followed its course from 2009 it would be in a much better place now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply