Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NYT: After some soaps' cancellations, others adjust
Topic Started: Feb 19 2012, 10:01 AM (3,995 Views)
miou07
Member Avatar

^I'm not understanding how it's a bunch of crap from Meng. I haven't watched Days in a long time except for two weeks last November, but his soap opera is still on the air and isn't going off anytime soon which is more than can be said for AMC, OLTL and the soon-to-be departing GH. No one in the Days' camp is panicking and there's a quote from NBC stating the show is in a good place financially and they aren't thinking of replacing it. What I get from this article is that ratings seem to be less of a factor than making the show at a low cost that makes a profit for the network. Tomlin does deserve the credit for whipping Days fiscally into shape. And people are still watching.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OldDaysFankat

miou07
Feb 19 2012, 02:35 PM
^I'm not understanding how it's a bunch of crap from Meng. I haven't watched Days in a long time except for two weeks last November, but his soap opera is still on the air and isn't going off anytime soon which is more than can be said for AMC, OLTL and the soon-to-be departing GH. No one in the Days' camp is panicking and there's a quote from NBC stating the show is in a good place financially and they aren't thinking of replacing it. What I get from this article is that ratings seem to be less of a factor than making the show at a low cost that makes a profit for the network. Tomlin does deserve the credit for whipping Days fiscally into shape. And people are still watching.
No where did they say ratings are not important . What I saw was that NBC is happy for the time being. Of course they are because the agreement with NBC forces Sony to pay a penalty should the demos dip below a certain number so its a win win for NBC.

I am not a Meng fan because I think he's a Corday puppet and he hasn't done anything extroadinary and basically marginalized/ruined what was working on Tomlin's Days which was Victor/Maggie, Stefano/Kate, Nicole , deballed EJ,and pushed the things like Melanie, Daniel, Jennifer, that were not working, fired 3 actresses, NB, CC, and LS, 2 of which had strong followings, and brought back useless Quinn for no purpose whatsoever. Will has blossomed yes,Marlena in that story a welcome addition, but Sami is still the center of the show. And people were still watching ATWT, GL, AMC, OLTL, and are still watching GH so I miss the point
Edited by OldDaysFankat, Feb 19 2012, 03:03 PM.

miou07
Member Avatar

OldDaysFankat
Feb 19 2012, 02:59 PM
miou07
No where did they say ratings are not important . What I saw was that NBC is happy for the time being. Of course they are because the agreement with NBC forces Sony to pay a penalty should the demos dip below a certain number so its a win win for NBC.

I am not a Meng fan because I think he's a Corday puppet and he hasn't done anything extroadinary and basically marginalized/ruined what was working on Tomlin's Days which was Victor/Maggie, Stefano/Kate, Nicole , deballed EJ,and pushed the things like Melanie, Daniel, Jennifer, that were not working, fired 3 actresses, NB, CC, and LS, 2 of which had strong followings, and brought back useless Quinn for no purpose whatsoever. Will has blossomed yes,Marlena in that story a welcome addition, but Sami is still the center of the show. And people were still watching ATWT, GL, AMC, OLTL, and are still watching GH so I miss the point
^I'm one of those people still watching GH (it's starting to show signs of improvement storywise, thank heavens). But I wish that it had been managed more responsibly not only creatively but fiscally as well. I know that my show is dead in the water even if (and that's a big if) the ratings begin to improve. ABC didn't care about ratings when it came to OLTL. I didn't watch the show, but I noticed its numbers kept going up. ABC had the nerve to celebrate those numbers in press releases even when they had no plans to keep the show on the air.

I can't imagine that GL was more expensive to produce than Days but CBS wasn't interested in the show anymore and Proctor and Gamble was done with it -- and its numbers weren't much worse demo wise than Days are right now. I don't know the story with ATWT. Neither GH nor AMC were managed well money wise. I was hoping that Valentini would help with GH on that, but there's no time.

JMO, but network PTB don't care what characters are featured or gotten rid of on a show or how their characters have been destroyed. I doubt if they even watch the shows. All they care about is the balance sheet.

I have bashed Corday and the gang over the years from here to kingdom come, but I now keep in mind that that man's soap opera is one of the last ones standing. Days' fans still have their show. At the end of day, that's all that matters.

Edited by miou07, Feb 19 2012, 03:24 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

jane1978
Feb 19 2012, 02:26 PM
I agree with the poster above who said Tomlin is the one who deserves most of the praise. He had a real results until Corday forced him to let Higley write again. And I fully believe if the show followed its course from 2009 it would be in a much better place now.
What do you mean by "its course from 2009?" Do you mean Tomlin and Whitesell in charge of the writing? There was a very noticeable shift after the end of the baby switch story; is early 2010 when you think Higley was given free reign again? I know that I considered the show virtually unwatchable from about March 2010 through August of last year.

OldDaysFankat

Paxton
Feb 19 2012, 03:57 PM
jane1978
Feb 19 2012, 02:26 PM
I agree with the poster above who said Tomlin is the one who deserves most of the praise. He had a real results until Corday forced him to let Higley write again. And I fully believe if the show followed its course from 2009 it would be in a much better place now.
What do you mean by "its course from 2009?" Do you mean Tomlin and Whitesell in charge of the writing? There was a very noticeable shift after the end of the baby switch story; is early 2010 when you think Higley was given free reign again? I know that I considered the show virtually unwatchable from about March 2010 through August of last year.
I don't know who wrote what but the entire idea of big bad EJ against Sami always seemed very Higleyesque aka Sheffer and it was not evident during the baby switch, EJ and Sami were equal victims in that but the sydnapping to Sami 'justifiably' shooting EJ to all the garbage in 2011 seemed like Higley barring the sarcophagus stuff and the paternity stuff which screamed Whitsell because it was all campy. fall 2010 seemed a mixture.I don't understand a lot of the decisions of early 2011 or what drove to Whitesell being fired other than I think sometime in 2010 Corday decided Whitesell and Tomlin needed to go. Whitesell being Tomlins guy. Some odd casting moves, and then Tomlin fired. Maybe once Tomlin streamlined production he was deemed expendable.I'll never get the loyalty to Higley unless the relationship was more than employer/employee since Corday never had qualms about firing people and in interviews with folks like Mark Hapka he seemed to make it clear Higley was the problem
Edited by OldDaysFankat, Feb 19 2012, 04:48 PM.

lene
Member Avatar

Brad Bell: “Women are more independent and edgier,”

Maria Arena Bell: "I still build to Fridays, but my motto is that every day has to be a Friday.”

This is :sarcasm: ...... right??? :lol:

OldDaysFankat

lene
Feb 19 2012, 05:53 PM

Maria Arena Bell: "I still build to Fridays, but my motto is that every day has to be a Friday.”

Ok the MAB comment is laughable but I actually like how B&B write for their women over the other soaps. The women are not dumbed down for the men anymore than the men are dumbed down for the women and we actually get to see women in the workplace. A lot of that is probably due to SF and Stephanie.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I have to say the most recent regime of Tomlin, Whitesell and (I believe) a restrained Dena gave better payoffs then whats currently playing. When it was Dena alone, it was terrible....Sami and Tayho!

AFaithL

The Room Stops
Feb 19 2012, 02:22 PM
stefenohairychest
Feb 19 2012, 02:14 PM
I notice Ian McAllister is looking very hard at Marlena in the picture shown...hmmmmmmm
Hopefully it's just Mr Buchanan looking at Ms Hall. They worked together before, so they know each other a little.
They are all looking at her.

lysie
Member Avatar

miou07
Feb 19 2012, 03:21 PM
OldDaysFankat
miou07

^I'm one of those people still watching GH (it's starting to show signs of improvement storywise, thank heavens). But I wish that it had been managed more responsibly not only creatively but fiscally as well. I know that my show is dead in the water even if (and that's a big if) the ratings begin to improve. ABC didn't care about ratings when it came to OLTL. I didn't watch the show, but I noticed its numbers kept going up. ABC had the nerve to celebrate those numbers in press releases even when they had no plans to keep the show on the air.

I can't imagine that GL was more expensive to produce than Days but CBS wasn't interested in the show anymore and Proctor and Gamble was done with it -- and its numbers weren't much worse demo wise than Days are right now. I don't know the story with ATWT. Neither GH nor AMC were managed well money wise. I was hoping that Valentini would help with GH on that, but there's no time.

JMO, but network PTB don't care what characters are featured or gotten rid of on a show or how their characters have been destroyed. I doubt if they even watch the shows. All they care about is the balance sheet.

I have bashed Corday and the gang over the years from here to kingdom come, but I now keep in mind that that man's soap opera is one of the last ones standing. Days' fans still have their show. At the end of day, that's all that matters.

I agree. We've seen Days in panic mode, and they're not in it now. We may think the ratings look bad, but they don't seem to.

Tom

lysie
Feb 19 2012, 07:41 PM
miou07
OldDaysFankat
miou07

I agree. We've seen Days in panic mode, and they're not in it now. We may think the ratings look bad, but they don't seem to.
Well, that's a shame. I would hope the goal would be to get in the 4's again. (Yes, that that would be the goal, maybe not the reality.) Settling for the bottom isn't the mission.

lysie
Member Avatar

Tom
Feb 19 2012, 08:18 PM
lysie
miou07
OldDaysFankat

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Well, that's a shame. I would hope the goal would be to get in the 4's again. (Yes, that that would be the goal, maybe not the reality.) Settling for the bottom isn't the mission.
The 4s?

dc cubs
Member Avatar

lysie
miou07
OldDaysFankat
miou07

That is a big problem because KC and Days should be in panic mode with where their demos are at now. Once again, KC is waiting too long to make a change in the HW situation.

lysie
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Feb 19 2012, 08:41 PM
lysie
miou07
OldDaysFankat

That is a big problem because KC and Days should be in panic mode with where their demos are at now. Once again, KC is waiting too long to make a change in the HW situation.
The fact that they're not in panic mode makes me think those numbers aren't as bad as we think. Either that, or that's not what they're looking at these days.

StoryGirl

Ellie
Feb 19 2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:

and ratings/demos are worse than even the worst of Higley/Tomlin.
That's just not true! Higley got the show down to 1.6 on some days, and people were speculating that if she stayed on, the show would be canceled.

Days is reaching historical lows in the key demographic, the only barometer of importance for advertisers.

tylerbo20

I find it hard to believe that days is in a good place finacially but i guess compaired to other NBC shows and the mess the prime time lineup is in Days is a show they can count on and i guess they cant afford to replace an hour in the afternoons yet...plus i think they want the show to be on to celebrate 50 years that is big for NBC and dont see them cancelling it before then....i find it funny that the one soap left on ABC that will be searching for a new home come september when Katie Couric moves in refused to comment lol bye bye GH

dc cubs
Member Avatar

StoryGirl
Feb 19 2012, 10:21 PM
Ellie
Feb 19 2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:

and ratings/demos are worse than even the worst of Higley/Tomlin.
That's just not true! Higley got the show down to 1.6 on some days, and people were speculating that if she stayed on, the show would be canceled.

Days is reaching historical lows in the key demographic, the only barometer of importance for advertisers.
Yes, in looking in the ratings threads, Days has hit new lows 4 times in the 18-49 demo ratings since MarDar took over. These 18-49 demo numbers are worse than anything during the Higley era.

Dec. 5-9 W18-49
5. DAYS 532,000 (-55,000/-210,000) <—– new low **
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8620557/1/

Dec. 12-16 W18-49
5. DAYS 528,000 (-4,000/-222,000) <—– new low (2nd straight week) *
daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8623933/1/

Dec. 19-23 W18-49
5. DAYS 520,000 (-8,000/-107,000) <—– new low (3rd straight week) *
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8628528/1/

Jan 30 - Feb. 3rd W18-49
4. DAYS 500,000 (-31,000/-339,000) <—— new low *
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8645954/1/

Tom

lysie
Feb 19 2012, 08:24 PM
Tom
Feb 19 2012, 08:18 PM
lysie
miou07

The 4s?
I'm just saying, that should be the goal. Not, "Hey, we're OK with a 1.2" (or whatever the rating is currently). Because they sound like they're OK with just settling. It's disappointing.

CarlD2

OldDaysFankat
Feb 19 2012, 06:30 PM
lene
Feb 19 2012, 05:53 PM

Ok the MAB comment is laughable but I actually like how B&B write for their women over the other soaps. The women are not dumbed down for the men anymore than the men are dumbed down for the women and we actually get to see women in the workplace. A lot of that is probably due to SF and Stephanie.
Hope only exists because of her virginity, Katie just has heart problems and exists for Bill, Brooke and Taylor recap their kids' love lives, Steffy lost all dignity to throw herself at father and son...

The show is good at gloss, which GH/DAYS/Y&R aren't, but the women are probably the most regressed I can remember them ever being on B&B.

CarlD2

Can you imagine someone reading that article and thinking Adrienne, Justin, and Sonny are some of the show's main characters?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply