Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Weekly Character Discussion: Stefano
Topic Started: Feb 21 2012, 07:25 PM (1,904 Views)
Ellie

Every week we'll have a new thread for a different character; this week's is Stefano. The purpose of this thread is to give both positive and negative feedback about the writing, characterization, and portrayal of the character. As always, the daily thread is the place to discuss specific episodes and scenes; this thread is for any and all thoughts on the character, the character's history, family relationships, and what you'd like to see for him/her. Feel fee to post pictures and clips if you'd like.

We'll be locking these at the end of each week and giving another character a turn.

This is not a place for fanbase fighting; please know before posting that there will be people in here who disagree with you, and if you have a different opinion that one stated, please just state your own respectfully. The point of this thread is to get feedback from everyone, good or bad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

Stefano used to be a bad-ass when he was obsessed with Marlena. Now he's ballsless.
Offline Profile Goto Top

countess_cutlass
Member Avatar

He's not around much these days. And when Stefano is on, he seems...?? Boring, old, tired. Especially now that they seem to be setting him up to be cuckolded by Kate.

I hope Stefano regains his mojo quickly.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jwsel
Member Avatar

I liked classic Stefano who would appear every few years, but also was always a lurking threat. That guy was scary and unpredictable and just liked to screw around with people's lives for the fun of it.

I don't recognize the character today.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

The man is 82 years old! What do you expect? His mind works quite well for his age, but he can't really be pulling off the crap he was doing in the 80's and 90's.
Edited by MissLola, Feb 21 2012, 08:04 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

Someone removed Stefano's balls while he was in a diabetic coma and I would like that someone to return them ASAP. I should be terrified when he appears on screen. I should not want to give him a bear hug. Joe M. is still a great actor, especially for his age. They're wasting him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Spencer Hastings
Feb 21 2012, 08:06 PM
Someone removed Stefano's balls while he was in a diabetic coma and I would like that someone to return them ASAP. I should be terrified when he appears on screen. I should not want to give him a bear hug. Joe M. is still a great actor, especially for his age. They're wasting him.
I agree. At times, he appears to be rather cartoonish to me. He was a terrific villian back in the day.
Offline Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Being on screen year after year has taken its toll on almost every long term character. Stefano is no exception.

The problem of how to use him reminds me a lot of the supercouple problem. He has his fans who still want to see him, but in a lot of ways his natural story has long run its course. So we see a lot of watered down, recycled stuff that doesn't work like it used to.

After 2010/2011, I never need to see another scene of EJ and Stefano talking in the DiMera mansion living room.

talbab, I love your icon!
Edited by granolagirl, Feb 21 2012, 08:13 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

I wish he would've stayed dead the FIRST time ... which gave us the wonderful Anna/Tony/Renée/David story.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AlisonLou

I wish they would just let Stefano go.
Sick of his games with Bo/Hope/John/Marlena. It has gotten boring.
This latest sl is a stinker.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jwsel
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Feb 21 2012, 08:16 PM
I wish he would've stayed dead the FIRST time ... which gave us the wonderful Anna/Tony/Renée/David story.
I really liked the prisms storyline, which is when I first got hooked on Days, so I'm glad Stefano came back. And there are aspects of the 1988 return that I liked. But I definitely think less of Stefano is more.
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I always thought Stefano was kind of fun. A lot of the weirder sci-fi stuff threw me a bit, but whatever, it's a soap. IA with the first response about how awesome it was when he was obsessed with Marlena.

But Stefano died for me with the whole Vendetta storyline, with Santo and the (un)dead Sister Brady. I didn't quite get it- and still don't, frankly- but it came off like he was all pissed because his father chose to have an affair with a nun who happened to be a Brady and gave birth to John Black. And that backstory made him...it made him Sami Brady, only more intense and more of a little bitch about it, because he was all bitter about some random bullshit he should have gotten over decades ago.

These days I tend to ignore him completely. It's for the best. All I think when I see him now is "lame."
Offline Profile Goto Top

am103
Member Avatar

I love the Stefano/Kate relationship, but I want to see a story where Stefano forces Marlena to be with him. He's always had an obsession with her, and I don't like that it's written in a way where he's not crazy about Marlena anymore.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Fairygodmother

I'm hoping that with Shane coming back to join forces with the Fab Four to take Stefano down, that there is really a badass Stefano to take down. Part of the story could be his past obsession with Marlena, but whatever it is, I want it written with a strong Phoenix that goes down and out in flames, not a sputter. Make him strong to the end.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AHM

Stefano's been a fun uber villain. I suppose I can take or leave him for the most part, but he has at least made me smile on occasion, and I like the father/son thing he's got with EJ. I don't really care one way or the other about his relationship with Kate.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AHM

px780
Feb 21 2012, 08:33 PM
I always thought Stefano was kind of fun. A lot of the weirder sci-fi stuff threw me a bit, but whatever, it's a soap. IA with the first response about how awesome it was when he was obsessed with Marlena.

But Stefano died for me with the whole Vendetta storyline, with Santo and the (un)dead Sister Brady. I didn't quite get it- and still don't, frankly- but it came off like he was all pissed because his father chose to have an affair with a nun who happened to be a Brady and gave birth to John Black. And that backstory made him...it made him Sami Brady, only more intense and more of a little bitch about it, because he was all bitter about some random bullshit he should have gotten over decades ago.

These days I tend to ignore him completely. It's for the best. All I think when I see him now is "lame."
That vendetta thiing was bad, and it failed to quite make sense to me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Steffy is lame and needs to die...he needs a vacay from being a teddy bear with stupid ass plans. I wish to say "let EJ and Kate make a power play for DiEnterprises" but I doubt EJ will be there and Kate sucking spit with Count Ian.
Edited by Liz<3Days, Feb 21 2012, 09:17 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dreamer
Gone, But Not Forgotten!

Yep, Steffy has run his course. He was super back in the day, but now walks around like a robot.
When was the last time he left the Dimera Mansion? I don't mean on his recent trip, I mean in scene on a different Days set? Very few and far between, if you ask me. I love his villiany voice and he can still run lines with the best of them. His hair really bugs the hell out of me, it should be died salt and pepper, the brown doesn't match his eyebrows and facial hair. UGH! I think I would miss his presence if he were completely gone, I'd like Joe M. stay on, and when he retires, I think they should recast Stefano, instead of ever planning to kill him off.
Edited by Dreamer, Feb 21 2012, 09:32 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

I believe that they did try to recast Stefano one time and it didnt work. Joe M IS Stefano!
Offline Profile Goto Top

autumnrain
Member Avatar

He's been watered down. Hell, they've drowned him. And the constant reminders of his "health problems" aren't doing the character any favors. I really cringed when the scene came on the other day with Kate finishing up with checking his sugar or whatever she was doing. I mean, really? Not only are they shoving his health in my face, but he's not even capable of taking responsibility for it himself?! The whole relationship with Kate isn't right. I don't necessarily object to the marriage. She can love him. He can care for her, since he's lonely. Or, he's using her. Whatever, I don't care. But he shouldn't LOVE Kate. He is obsessed with/LOVES Marlena. Kate should be jealous of that. I don't like that the Marlena obsession isn't there anymore. After all the YEARS he tormented her, we're supposed to believe he just woke up one day, over it? And the fact that she put him in a coma, years ago would've only caused him to admire her more. Because he's just that sick and twisted.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic